WIndows2000/2003 sound issues

Ight heres the deal...i was originally runing win2k as the OS for my little media box server. Everything workerd just fine on the thing, i watched movies and played music on it all the time. I was using a Sblaster512. Then i upgraded to win2003 at first i had serious issues with the sound card, so i decided to drop in a live value...it dident work at frist, but i moved around the pci devises and it auto loaded and worked well. But beacse i just updated from 2000 to win2003 (had no room to back all the movies and what not) Later i got another harddrive and back everything up and then did a fresh install of 2003. But to my dismay, i could not get the Live card to work. the car was being detected, but i could not select it as my audio devise. The sound was constantly muted, and i had no way of changing it. Due to mass fristration i reverted back to wi2k. But i still am having issues with the sound! I have loaded the most recent drivers for the card and have done all critacal updates...running Sp3. Im think the irqs have somthing do do with it(the sound, harddrive controller, and vid are sharing irq 11) but there seems to be no combination to fix this!

THis is p***in me off alot and i have wasted many hrs on it...the compter is going to be shooting target soon...unles anyone hase some insight.

hehe

thankx much

=Drew :)

have u checked in the hardware manager to check for conflictions with other hardware? does ur bios automatically assign IRQ's to hardware ? sometimes creative software require a certain IRQ as i had problems with one and read the manual and manual moved the IRQ to the suggested one

because win2k3 is a server, by default, it doesnt enable the sound services. I think wat u hav done is upgraded from win2k to win2k3 and uninstalled it cuz u were havin probs, is that correct? If so, win2k3 has disabled ur sound services when it installed, and didnt set it back when u uninstalled. Ur card will not work till the services are enabled. Go into ur administration tools, and click on the services icon. Look for the service which says windows sound services. Right click on that, select properties. There should be an option box in there which has enable and disable in it. This will be set to disable by default, so select enable and click ok. Ur sound card should work now.

In regards to Win2k3, the upgrade went fine but it was havin issues with the SB512, i changed it out with a Live and it was having a problem with direct soundDxdiag was not detecting the audio without some type of error. But the windows sound service was enabled. When i reformated and reinstall fresh, i could not get the sound to work! i switched the pci devices around and got them all on different irqs but it was still acting odd.

Out of frustration i switched back to Win2k pro. For the first day the soun was not functioning, but atleast it was detecting and DxDiag was properly recongnizing it. To fix the problem i took the Live card out and uninstalled the drivers, then i restarted the rig without the card in at all. I switched the pcis all around and installed the live drivers..it has worked since then. All i can think is that the Mobo does a por job of assiging irqs or the sound card is picky on what it shares with. But all is well!

But im still waiting for a good Media serving OS!

:)

=Drew