help! need to Prompt 4 key b4 setup starts

I was wondering if there was a way to pompt for user data (normally in winnt.sif... like product key, username etc.) before the windows setup starts, so that It can all be entered at the same time, rather than prompting in the middle of the install. because I already have a WINNT.SIF (DefaultHide) but I use the disk on many differnet systems with multiple keys and usernames, and would like to save the time and hassel of having to input that info halfway though the setup (when I may be say... helping a customer).

thanks for the help

~Dave

You can't.

Another alternative (I think it's not your goal, but I write ...) : You can try to load winnt.sif from floppy (I have heard this on the forum, but I haven't look if it's really possible :( ), in fact you have to edit the winnt.sif before install with full correct informations and setup run direct 100% silently ...

• 2 weeks later...

If you built a version of BartPE and had (let's say) an AutoIT script within the BartPE install prompt for all the information, THEN launched the Windows installer for XP, wouldn't that allow the installer to proceed fully unattended? AutoIT can edit INI files, so that editing a WINNT.SIF shouldn't be problematic.....

Edited by dougiefresh

Don't forget you'll run into issues with CDKey's depending on the SP level and 'flavor' of the OS...OEM, Retail, NFR, etc. It's very hard to make a 'universal' unattended install CD...you could use a regular CDKey in the unattended, then run the activation after the load is done. There you will get a chance to change the CDKey...but just like above, that doesn't always work.

well, i know that i can put in a generic product key, or leave it blank to have it prompt during the normal setup process... but that is not what I am looking for. i would like for something to prompt me before setup starts for the key... so i can "set it, then forget it" or so to say. otherwise the setup will stop half way through and ask for the key... or if i enter a generic key, it will not activate to microsoft when finished... and I have to go through the painfull process of calling microsoft to validate, and I HATE doing that (they have sooo many ID10T errors there, lol). So, anyone have a solution to my predicament

Well you could try and construct some kinda BAT menu that you could use to enter in the CDKey...but you would have to have a way to load the setup process after that, so you can't do a native install, would have to do it from DOS as far as I can see.

Or, to keep it running native, you could construct a BartPE/WinPE distro that would boot, wait for CDKey, then run setup. Of course, that would require a fair amount of investment of time, but it's about all I can think of.

And don't discount what I mentioned earlier...different CDKey's won't work, OEM vs. RETAIL.

Also, a quick FYI...the M$ activation line is touch tone sensitive, so you don't even have to speak into it for the long part. Saves me tons of time and errors, never have to talk to anyone.