Vista needs 500MB on system partition to install - Why?

odyssey5

I'm trying to install Vista Beta 1 in a dual-boot configuration. When i'm booting directly from the DVD, it just reboots after loading the install files, so i'd try to install from XP instead.

Now i'm recieving this error: "Setup has detected that you do not have anough free space on your system partition. Error code is [0x80070070]. Approximately [477 MB] of free space is required on your system partition [C:] for Setup to continue." :blink: WHY??? Who ever said that I was GONNA install it on drive C:, and for the matter, why could it not just pick another partition with sufficient space for the temp install files during installation (which SP installations do!)??

Can I trick the installer into copying the files somewhere else?? :wacko:

You need a partition or harddrive that has 6 to 8 gigs of free space to install Vista.

LOL :w00t: Do you REALLY think that i'm trying to install vista without HDD space? I've got 600 Gigs of HDD, and PLENTY of free space and partitions! Also, try to read the post :P

The reason my C: drive is only 10 MB, is because I dual boot from several partitions, and like one small partition (called system partition) to contain the boot loader and boot configuration (boot.ini) - The reason why this error is odd, is because my setup is the Microsoft recommended way!

Edited by odyssey5

You need a partition or harddrive that has 6 to 8 gigs of free space to install Vista.

LOL :w00t: Do you REALLY think that i'm trying to install vista without HDD space? I've got 600 Gigs of HDD, and PLENTY of free space and partitions! Also, try to read the post :P

The reason my C: drive is only 10 MB, is because I dual boot from several partitions, and like one small partition (called system partition) to contain the boot loader and boot configuration (boot.ini) - The reason why this error is odd, is because my setup is the Microsoft recommended way!

Obviously, Vista is not for you. Perhaps you should hang out at Slashdot and use Linux.

Obviously, Vista is not for you. Perhaps you should hang out at Slashdot and use Linux.

Obviously, nobody at this forum are willing to anything but flame other users. If you really don't have anything to contribute with, go take a cup of coffee and read the newspaper instead!!!!!!

The question is simple and has nothing to do with what's right for me or not:

* Can you trick Vista to install it's temp files on a specific partition (maybe using the new xml unattended files) OR

* How do I solve the problem that boot-setup restarts my PC after it has loaded the files (can't really find any topic describing that exact problem)

?? :huh:

Acutally it takes 9 gig to install. It dose not install on any scsi devices

I bet it does :P But actually, it's not the problem at all - Like i said, I have plenty of room to install on :D I just need a fix to make windows put the install temp files somewhere else. This is odd, because all Windows 2000/XP setups just put the install temp files on the drive it actually installs on....... You still have the ability to choose where to install Windows, right???? :blink:

Edited by odyssey5

Obviously, nobody at this forum are willing to anything but flame other users. If you really don't have anything to contribute with, go take a cup of coffee and read the newspaper instead!!!!!!
He wasn't flaming you.

Anyways, dont expect much from a BETA os!

It will work under the conditions that it was meant to. All unexpected conditions are explicitly assumed to not work, thats what a beta is about, anyways! So either wait some more time till Vista reaches public release, or try out Vista in a Virtual-Machine.