Universal Extractor

nitro322

I have come across many installers that say the above when trying to extract. Does Universal Extractor support these or planned to support this type of installer.

I doubt it can be supported. These installers are programs, pure and simple, nothing to unpack. They may contain a script of some sort that can be interpreted, but I doubt anything short of disassembly would do the trick.

I have come across many installers that say the above when trying to extract. Does Universal Extractor support these or planned to support this type of installer.

I doubt it can be supported. These installers are programs, pure and simple, nothing to unpack. They may contain a script of some sort that can be interpreted, but I doubt anything short of disassembly would do the trick.

Ver Universal Extractor relies on PEiD, Trid and possibly others to parse each file for identification. It is these tools that do not know, what the unistaller package is. Though i have tried old and new varieties of this type of installer. Each time report back as v4 v5 or v6. It could say XUYOZ v5.00 or other title. Make no difference, as either identified wrongly or is an unknown install package.

Maybe then this is the ultimate installer package for now, one that no one can uncompress manualy. This is the coders dream i would have thought, to have an installer secured from public gaze. More over a nightmare for us installers of that package, with bloatware or even nasty bugs to contend with.

1. I have tested a few Office 2007 files and it worked well

Awesome. I'll add this to the list of supported formats. Thanks for the heads up.

Hi nitro322, Just love using, Universal Extractor. Besides others like xfd, xad and more (platform dependant). :D

I don't follow you here. What are xfd and xad? Are they similar programs to UniExtract? Different formats that you'd like to see supported? Not sure how to respond to this...

1. Inno and nullsoft installers, possibly more besides. Beta v1.6 tries to extract them wrongly as a zip package, then fails.

Can you link to any specific installers that behave this way? I've seen this behavior before, but all of my test Inno and NSIS installers behave properly with the beta.

2. I noticed for a long time, files that are installers, Universal Extractor all versions reports as below....

As someone stated below, this is basically a generic detection signature. If this signature is returned, UniExtract will try to extract the file using a few generic methods, but for the most part it's blindly guessing. There is no "proper" technique for these types of files, because they are not one single filetype.

I'll check out the example you posted, though, and see if I can do anything with it.

I installed Universal Extractor 1.6 beta and then tried to "UniExtract Files..." from the file uniextract16beta.exe itself, but I got an error. It said that it appeared to be an Inno Setup file, but that it was unable to handle it. In the log it sayd "Signature detected: Inno Setup Setup Data (5.1.13)

This is not directly supported, but i'll try to unpack it as version 5110

; Version detected: 5113

Critical error: The setup files are corrupted. Please obtain a new copy of the program.

Unpacking failed. This version is not supported.

".

Can You help me?

It appears that Inno Setup >= 5.1.13 installers are not currently supported by innounp. A few others have reported this as well. UniExtract relies on innounp to extract Inno Setup installers, so until innounp is updated to deal with the new version, I cannot support them.

The one format I have been trying to add to extractors is SHN Shorten format. Is it possible to add unSHN?

Are you referring to the lossless Shorten audio compression format? I'm not sure I'd want to go that route. It'd technically be easy to add such support, but it doesn't really align with the original goal of UniExtract to extract, unarchive, and decompress files. Yes, it'd technically involve decompression from a compressed format (SHN) to an uncompressed format (WAV), but the difference is that the compressed version is actually fully usable in its own right. I can't see where adding support for this format to UniExtract would provide much benefit.

Additionally, if I started including support for audio formats, why should I stop with just SHN? I'd have to add support for FLAC, APE (Monkey's Audio), WV (WavPack), etc. This would greatly increase the package size for UniExtract with, in my opinion, little practical gain.

I can not extract this file with UE 1.6 BETA.

this is the setup file from Pstart 2.11

I've looked at Pstart before. It uses some kind of funky installer that I can't figure out. I think it's actually some kind of SFX installer, but I just don't know what to do with it.

Ver Universal Extractor relies on PEiD, Trid and possibly others to parse each file for identification. It is these tools that do not know, what the unistaller package is. Though i have tried old and new varieties of this type of installer. Each time report back as v4 v5 or v6. It could say XUYOZ v5.00 or other title. Make no difference, as either identified wrongly or is an unknown install package.

Well, technically PEiD and TrID are reporting correctly. The installer is a Visual C++ application. The problem is that it's not specific enough. I've actually added quite a few custom signatures to both PEiD and TrID to try to deal with specific installers that I've come across, but there's simply no way I can add support for every possible format out there. As people post examples here I'll check it out and add support (including a new signature if necessary) where possible, but it many cases it just can't be done.

Maybe then this is the ultimate installer package for now, one that no one can uncompress manualy. This is the coders dream i would have thought, to have an installer secured from public gaze.

Eh, I have to call bullsh*t on this. This is one of those topics that really gets on my nerves. You can see some of my thoughts on the subject in this 7-Zip forum post.

I guess the difference is there are valid usable solutions to uncompress each format except shn, w/o opening a cmd prompt or running a batch file, maybe something has changed who knows?

Usable? I do not know of any shn players. shn ipod?

For the life of me I have never figured out why the people at winrar or winzip don't just provide a way to add these to their apps w/ appropriate switches. Winzip almost does like arc or lha, but not others. Who needs to extract so many, but everyone has a couple at any given time that they wish had a decent front end.

I guess I am back on my quest.

Thanks

Thanks for your comments Nitro. :)

I will install again the latest v1.6beta, put it in a custom location folder. That leaves the v1.5 installed and working, until v1.6 is ok.

Sure i will get you the urls, to the files you need to test with.

XAD, XFD, XPK are Amiga unpackers of many formats on that os. They are similar to Universal extract in useage. And i love each and every one of them. I like to have access and unpack ability for any installer or packed file, no matter what it is. I hope there could never be an installer or packer, that could never be extracted.

Is there a way to link Universal Extractor into virus checkers, spy, add and other malware tools in future this would be a bonus. It would that be great for those tools to intergrate with Universal Extractor on the fly. If possible to look into each file without having to decompress each installer/packed file first. This is how xfd was first born into the Amiga community.

Though i also love to unpack installers to install only un-bloated programme's if the bloat is not needed. For checking for virus, malware and other parasites. There are many times i need just a driver, codec or other update, without having to install the application to get it. Allows more control of the pc that i am using, to what gets installed.

Edited by exogenesis

Universal Extractor 1.6 Beta works well.

-------------------------------------------------

CDmage

support for Mode1/2048, Mode1/2352, Mode2/2336, Mode2/2352, Mode2/2056, CDI/2352, CDI/2336, CD+G/2448, Audio/2352 tracks

support for multisession images.

supported CD image file types:

CDRWin/Fireburner: CUE, BIN, ISO

BINChunker: ISO, TAO, MM2, PCM

Nero Burning ROM: NRG (both DAO and TAO image types version 4.0.9.1 and above)

CloneCD: CCD, IMG

VirtualCD: FCD (uncompressed containers only)

Farstone Virtual Drive: VCD (uncompressed containers only)

BlindRead/BlindWrite: BWT, BWI

DiscJuggler: CDI (both 2.x and 3.x versions)

Gear Pro: RDB, MD1, XA

NTI CD-Copy: CDP

NTI CD-Maker 2000: NCD

Prassi CD Rep Plus: GCD

Cequadrat Winoncd: C2D

Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4.x: CIF, ISO

other: WAV (44.1 kHz 16 bit stereo only)

view filesystem of any session (not only last)

display LBA of any file/folder in the filesystem

extract and convert tracks into any compatible supported format

extract files from data tracks

compare files with files burned on the cd or with files on the hd

scan checkable tracks or sector range for corruption (all CDRWin, Nero, CloneCD, BlindRead, DiscJuggler, Gear, NTI CD-Copy, Prassi, Winoncd and Creator images)

change LBA of the data tracks

change volume label and other CD identification data of any session

repair of corrupted sectors (all CDRWin, Nero, CloneCD, BlindRead, DiscJuggler, Gear, NTI CD-Copy, Prassi, Winoncd and Creator images)

rebuild of fields of corrupted sectors - ECC/EDC regen (all CDRWin, Nero, CloneCD, BlindRead, DiscJuggler, Gear, NTI CD-Copy, Prassi, Winoncd and Creator images)

locate content of corrupted sectors

play audio and CD+G tracks direct from all image files without extracting while scanning, repairing, locating errors

sector browser with sector field highlighting

displaying of total disc time and overburn time for both 74 and 80 min cds.

El Torito standard support (bootable cds), extraction of boot record (multiple-boot images are supported)

supported operating systems: all Win32 based (95, 98, Me, NT, 2k)

http://cdmage.orcon.net.nz/

Download:

http://ftp.uevora.pt/pub/Mirrors/CDmage/CDmage1-02-1B5.exe

http://ftp.uevora.pt/pub/Mirrors/CDmage/CDmage1-02-1B5.rar

ftp://cdmage:cdmage@big-al.dhs.org:69/CDmage1-02-1B5.rar

ftp://216.36.21.98/CDmage1-02-1B5.rar

CDI2nero, BIN2ISO, ISO2MAC, MAC2ISO, ...

http://cdirip.cjb.net/

I guess the difference is there are valid usable solutions to uncompress each format except shn, w/o opening a cmd prompt or running a batch file, maybe something has changed who knows?

Usable? I do not know of any shn players. shn ipod?

For the life of me I have never figured out why the people at winrar or winzip don't just provide a way to add these to their apps w/ appropriate switches. Winzip almost does like arc or lha, but not others. Who needs to extract so many, but everyone has a couple at any given time that they wish had a decent front end.

I guess I am back on my quest.

There should definitely be GUI conversion options available for Shorten. Try a few of the links on this search: http://www.google.com/search?q=convert%20shorten%20shn (specifically, http://etree.org/mkw.html

And while there are no hardware players that I'm aware of, there are plenty of software players that support the format (Winamp being the biggest and obvious choice). If the above link doesn't give you any luck, try installing Foobar2000. It should support SHN files (though you may need to add a plugin to do so), and it includes transcoding functionality so you can pretty easily convert to any other format.

As a final alternative, you can simply download the CLI decoder and associate it with .SHN files through Windows Explorer. That's not as pretty as a transcoding application, but it'll certainly get the job done.

XAD, XFD, XPK are Amiga unpackers of many formats on that os. They are similar to Universal extract in useage. And i love each and every one of them. I like to have access and unpack ability for any installer or packed file, no matter what it is. I hope there could never be an installer or packer, that could never be extracted.

Someone had actually posted a request for Amiga formats on my forum. I'd be happy to add support, but in order to do so I need two things:

1. a utility to decode/extract the files
  2. sample files to test

I think I've already found something to do the extracting, but I have no sample files to work with. If you can make some available, I'll test this out and see if I can get it included in the 1.6 final release.

Is there a way to link Universal Extractor into virus checkers, spy, add and other malware tools in future this would be a bonus. It would that be great for those tools to intergrate with Universal Extractor on the fly.

That's a very interesting idea. I won't be able to do that for v1.6, but I'll certainly keep it in mind for a future version.

is that only me or the links are dead?

Dreamhost (the hosting provider for c1pher.com) has been having network issues over the last couple of days. Unfortunately, there's absolutely nothing I can do about it. Just try again in a few hours.

CDmage

<SNIP>

CDI2nero, BIN2ISO, ISO2MAC, MAC2ISO, ...

I've looked at CDmage in the past, but it's not suited to my needs very well. It doesn't support CLI arguments for source file and destination directory.

The other programs you suggested sound interesting. I've tried a couple of them already and ran into issues, but some of them are new. I'll check them out.

These are seen as .zip files in v1.6b and fail to extract. Tested in v1.5 all unpack correctly.

Drive Snapshot - Nullsoft Installer (possibly). 
http://www.drivesnapshot.de/download/setup.exe

Hard Drive Visulization - Inno Installer
http://www.z-a-recovery.com/vis10setup.exe

Zero Assumption Recovery - Inno Installer
http://www.z-a-recovery.com/zar82setup.exe

AutoRun Pro Enterprise - Inno Installer
http://www.longtion.com/autorunenterprise/ARPESetup120.exe

Examples of yet unknown installers, seen as Microsoft Visual C++ x.x [Overlay or Debug]

Microsoft Visual C++ 4.x [Overlay]
CompuPic Pro v6.23.1364
http://www.photodex.com/files/cpro32.exe

Microsoft Visual C++ 5.0
DropIt v5 and DropIt Pro v5
http://www.spinnerbaker.com/zip/sdropit5.exe
http://www.spinnerbaker.com/zip/sdroptp5.exe

AWeb Install Guide for DropIt with Pictures of it installing.
http://www.spinnerbaker.com/inst/install_dropitp.htm

Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 [Overlay]
AI RoboForm v6.9.6
http://www.roboform.org/dist/AiRoboForm.exe

Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 [Debug]
Internet Download Manager (Tries to unpack as .zip in v1.6b as with installers at the top of list.)
http://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/idman511.exe

Others

FilePipe v2.7R (p2p).exe - SetUp Factory (It tries to extract as a Vise file then fails, something different)
http://www.filepipe.org/FPSetup.exe

NetstatLive v2.11 - UPX Installer - Won't extract
http://www.analogx.com/files/nsli.exe

Blubster - Wise Installer - Won't extract
http://www.blubster.com/BlubsterSetup.exe

Someone had actually posted a request for Amiga formats on my forum. I'd be happy to add support, but in order to do so I need two things:

1. a utility to decode/extract the files
  2. sample files to test

I think I've already found something to do the extracting, but I have no sample files to work with. If you can make some available, I'll test this out and see if I can get it included in the 1.6 final release.

A good idea, one that could be useful, if can be achieved for all Amiga compression formats.

A link was posted on your forum to the Total Commander other site. I Have not tried this software for a very long time. It would not as remember, let me save a custom prefered gui layout. Correct at the time, most likely fixed long, long ago.

Do you use Total Commander clients in UniExtractor. Or is that the reason for needing decode/extract tools. Should i first check which ones Total Commander can do now. And concentrate collecting the ones Total Commander hasn't got listed.

Files for any of the could be easily made up for you to test with. Or Nitro you could get an Amiga emulator running on your pc, using WinUAE or other emulator.

Aminet is a huge and wonderful Amiga resource.

XAD, XFD and XPKMaster Homepage, one worth looking at. These can decrunch on the amiga nearly every known amiga compression. These for me are the best utilities i think the amiga had, i like to decrunch and have a nosey around.

Together with WHDLoad buts this is another application genre altogether. :D

Edited by exogenesis

Is there a way to link Universal Extractor into virus checkers, spy, add and other malware tools in future this would be a bonus. It would that be great for those tools to intergrate with Universal Extractor on the fly.

That's a very interesting idea. I won't be able to do that for v1.6, but I'll certainly keep it in mind for a future version.

Nitro this is the best news i heard in a very long time for added pc protection. :)

If it is possible for on the fly looking at installer achive contents. Without unpacking them at all, like how the a/v and other tools do it now for .zip and .rar files. I can at the moment easily check with an a/v software. A 10gb rar file without it being unpacked in memory or hard drive on the fly. Do you know yet how that can be done with UniExtractor or something to look more into, to do it.

These are seen as .zip files in v1.6b and fail to extract. Tested in v1.5 all unpack correctly.

Will check them out.

Do you use Total Commander clients in UniExtractor. Or is that the reason for needing decode/extract tools. Should i first check which ones Total Commander can do now. And concentrate collecting the ones Total Commander hasn't got listed.

Files for any of the could be easily made up for you to test with. Or Nitro you could get an Amiga emulator running on your pc, using WinUAE or other emulator.

Yeah, I can use most Total Commander plugins (thanks to cmdTotal), but I still need formats to test with. I need to verify that TrID can properly detect the formats, know which labels it uses for the formats, know what extensions the files use, and then figure out the proper syntax for the extraction tools, including any special workarounds that I may have to add. I can't do any of that without test files. I currently have about 3 GB worth of test files that I use to make sure UniExtract bahaves properly, but not one Amiga format file is included.

If you could get me, say, two examples of each format that you want supported, that'd be a huge help.

If it is possible for on the fly looking at installer achive contents. Without unpacking them at all, like how the a/v and other tools do it now for .zip and .rar files. I can at the moment easily check with an a/v software. A 10gb rar file without it being unpacked in memory or hard drive on the fly. Do you know yet how that can be done with UniExtractor or something to look more into, to do it.

I'll look into adding virus scanning support, but it almost certainly won't be this complex. Probably the best I could do would be to add the option to scan the file as a whole before extraction begins, and/or scan all of the extracted files after extraction is complete. Even that is a big maybe at this point, as I don't use A/V software myself and only have experience with just a couple of engines.

I'll see what I can do, but don't get your hopes up too high. :-)

Edited by nitro322