Universal Extractor

nitro322

QUOTE (horsecharles @ Nov 23 2007, 12:47 PM) post_snapback.gifNitro, I'm gonna cross-post here-- serves to bump up this thread as well...

Context menu entries for Universal Extractor have disappeared(for .zip, .msi & .exe), on Vista Home Premium Sp1(btw no such issues on Win XP SP3). I've tried reinstalling, w/ all possible context entries enabled and .zip associated w/ it, of course-- to no avail. Send To shortcut remains in place.

horsecharles, have you had any luck resolving this? I don't have access to a Vista system, so I'm pretty limited in what I can do to troubleshoot here. However, if you did find a solution, I think it'd be nice to post it here so that anyone having a similar issue can benefit.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

________

Near as i can tell... i attribute it to one of Vista's many improv-- err arbritrary, capricious, useless, undocumented changes:

it has to do mainly with the setting to list zip files as folders... this not only affects zip files, but exe and other file types as well.

Where's what happens when one right-clicks an exe, zip, etc. file(mind you, with just about all zip/extract utilities-- i have @ 10 installed)... EITHER OR(assuming of course, that ALL possible context menu extensions have been enabled in each utility) in order of highest probability:

1. All context entries disappear save for app name w/ a toggle arrow that when clicked reveals context menu entries for that app(though usually only a few, not all). This is the scenario for the majority.

2. And the case with Uni-- all context entries totally gone.

3. For one or two apps-- most context entries disappear, but a couple remain.

HOWEVER.... if in windows explorer-- in the left Folders pane-- when folder contents are expanded with zip files listed there as well... IF you then right-click a file 'in there only' all context entries appear as originally upon install... click 'that same file' in the right side Folder Contents and you will NOT get those context entries. Mind you that the only extension listed in folder pane would be zip :wacko::realmad::unsure::angry: .

I did not know there was a beta. I looked at this forum and didn't see an announcement. Please ignore that remark. I've already unpacked that archive using innounp, only complaint was about the frontend not working properly.

Edited by j7n

• 1 month later...

OK... some things to report(remember, running Vista Home Premium w/ latest SP1):

1. The context menu had really been flummoxed-- as well entries like Run as Admin were gone, even for .msi... HOWEVER-- the context menu was unchanged / undamaged for SHORTCUTS of extensions in question: exe / zip / msi / etc. BUTTTT..... selecting those commands ie running a shortcut of an msi file as Admin, etc. resulted in "no action occurring"... i see this is as a frequently-mentioned problem in Vista web-wide BTW.

2. I fixed everything(after trying numerous expected fixes-- registry(added Run as Admin to context of each extension...to no avail...etc.), uninstall/reinstall, etc.-- here's how:

A. Simultaneously uninstalled: 7-z, 7zip, AlZip, IzArc, PeaZip, TugZip, Universal Extractor (sorry but have very little disposable time these days to post here, let alone experiment one app at a time).

B. Removed from context menu all leftover entries re those apps(used the module from Glary Utilities) EXCEPT for those of Universal Extractor, 7zip & ZipInstaller.

C. Re-installed latest versions of(with all file associations DEselected BUT all context menu entries selected in all of them): Universal Extractor(1.6 BETA), 7zip, IzArc... plus re-enabled context option in ZipInstaller.

Everything back to normal(even things like Run as Admin) except:

D. IzArc context entries will not appear in context menu.

E. Having not associated .zip with any particular app, double-clicking such a file opens up Universal Extractor.

4. Conclusion(s)???? Draw your own.... it was either:

F. One of the permanently-removed apps was the culprit.. especially since i now seem to remember some such context issues on other systems from years ago: win98, winXP. ORRRRR:

G. The sheer number of context entries(I run at high-resolution on a large monitor, and even then the context menu scrolled off the top and bottom). BTW, yes, was still able to access any entry thru the scroll arrows.

H. LAST BUT NOT LEAST: Universal Extractor is to be held blameless here.

Good Luck all.

QUOTE (horsecharles @ Nov 23 2007, 12:47 PM) post_snapback.gifNitro, I'm gonna cross-post here-- serves to bump up this thread as well...

Context menu entries for Universal Extractor have disappeared(for .zip, .msi & .exe), on Vista Home Premium Sp1(btw no such issues on Win XP SP3). I've tried reinstalling, w/ all possible context entries enabled and .zip associated w/ it, of course-- to no avail. Send To shortcut remains in place.

horsecharles, have you had any luck resolving this? I don't have access to a Vista system, so I'm pretty limited in what I can do to troubleshoot here. However, if you did find a solution, I think it'd be nice to post it here so that anyone having a similar issue can benefit.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

________

Near as i can tell... i attribute it to one of Vista's many improv-- err arbritrary, capricious, useless, undocumented changes:

it has to do mainly with the setting to list zip files as folders... this not only affects zip files, but exe and other file types as well.

Where's what happens when one right-clicks an exe, zip, etc. file(mind you, with just about all zip/extract utilities-- i have @ 10 installed)... EITHER OR(assuming of course, that ALL possible context menu extensions have been enabled in each utility) in order of highest probability:

1. All context entries disappear save for app name w/ a toggle arrow that when clicked reveals context menu entries for that app(though usually only a few, not all). This is the scenario for the majority.

2. And the case with Uni-- all context entries totally gone.

3. For one or two apps-- most context entries disappear, but a couple remain.

HOWEVER.... if in windows explorer-- in the left Folders pane-- when folder contents are expanded with zip files listed there as well... IF you then right-click a file 'in there only' all context entries appear as originally upon install... click 'that same file' in the right side Folder Contents and you will NOT get those context entries. Mind you that the only extension listed in folder pane would be zip :wacko::realmad::unsure::angry: .

Edited by horsecharles