Universal Extractor

nitro322

I have some suggestions to make:

1. Add an option where it'll automatically open a folder selection dialog when you click on an archive that's registered with it.

2. Make the dialog that pops up when extracting a file contain the progress of the extraction.

• 2 weeks later...

nitro322 can you suggest to me the use of any privately owned commercial unpackers, simply by adding them inside your BIN folder?

I mean you don't have to use them inside the actual UE release ...just suggest all working ones.

Is there a rights violation this way?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would like to suggest something.

There are many installer makers like Returnil, Advanced Installer Maker, Smart Installer Maker, etc.

Are the developers going to enhance it so that it can extract many installers built by the installer makers, whether some of which are well-known or not, since it is given a name with "universal" starts first.

• 2 weeks later...
The following file is a Microsoft CAB archive, but is being treated as an InstallShield archive by Universal Extractor 1.5.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/c...f31/w95gray.exe

I just realized that this was reported for v1.6. The InstallShield issue is due to the TrID signature detection - it has a very high false positive rate for InstallShield executables, and I haven't been able to find any way to tune that down. To workaround it, I added an option to the 1.6 InstallShield dialog that allows you to specify "this is not an InstallShield installer". After selecting that and clicking OK, it will continue trying various other methods, and will then successfully extract this file.

Ugly, but it works. :-)

Also, whenever the /x switch is used on a file (Microsoft Hotfix), is there any way the description can be changed from a cab archive to a hotfix?

I thought it did do this. Are you using 1.5 or the 1.6 beta?

New version of innounp (0.20) works well with new version of inno setup but in uniextract no, it uses cmdtotal and files are bad.

cause: peid internal scan not recognize new version of inno setup (show Borland Delphi 2.0 overlay)

My solution: <SNIP>

I can't duplicate this problem. I just compiled a new version of the UniExtract i nstaller using Inno Setup 5.2.2, and I was able to extract it just fine using UniExtract. I also just upgraded to a newer version of innounp, so perhaps it was more of an issue with innounp that PEiD?

If you can send me a file that demonstrates the problem I'll investigate further; otherwise, I have to assume that it's fixed in the current dev version.

Nitro, I'm gonna cross-post here-- serves to bump up this thread as well...

Context menu entries for Universal Extractor have disappeared(for .zip, .msi & .exe), on Vista Home Premium Sp1(btw no such issues on Win XP SP3). I've tried reinstalling, w/ all possible context entries enabled and .zip associated w/ it, of course-- to no avail. Send To shortcut remains in place.

horsecharles, have you had any luck resolving this? I don't have access to a Vista system, so I'm pretty limited in what I can do to troubleshoot here. However, if you did find a solution, I think it'd be nice to post it here so that anyone having a similar issue can benefit.

Universal Extractor doesn't decompile CHMs made with ChmBookCreator

Would be happy to look into it. Can you please post an example CHM file that does not work?

a few updates are released:

<SNIP>

ARJ32 3.14a - http://mysite.verizon.net/vze3nqpn/files/arj32v314a.exe

StuffIt Expander 12.0.0.3 - http://www.stuffit.com/downloads/std-downloadv.html

I just ran through all the helper apps and updated as appropriate. Wanted to respond to these two, though.

ARJ32 3.14a - I use the Open-source ARJ binaries available from http://arj.sourceforge.net/. These are freely redistributable, while the "official" version is not. It doesn't appear that a corresponding release has been made for the open source version, so I'll have to stick with 3.10 for now.

StuffIt Expander - Once upon a time, StuffIt Expander used to be freely redistributable on Windows. That changed after v6.0, which is why I include such an old version in UniExtract. I'll check out the new version, but I can't imagine that they would've all of a sudden decided to make it freely redistributable again after all this time.

Can you fully automate the command line by adding the following switches?

These are some good ideas. I'll add to my todo file for investigation during the next release.

How about hiding the cmd windows that open up:

This isn't a good idea. While I agree that it's ugly, it serves two very important purposes:

progress indicator - since most of the extraction is done through CLI binaries, this let's you know whether or not something is actually happening

input - more importantly, some operations will require user input, such as entering a password for an encrypted Zip file or confirming whether or not you want to overwrite existing files; without the CMD window, this input could not be provided

I have some suggestions to make:

1. Add an option where it'll automatically open a folder selection dialog when you click on an archive that's registered with it.

What do you mean by this? I don't understand what you're suggesting.

2. Make the dialog that pops up when extracting a file contain the progress of the extraction.

I'd love to do this, and I do exactly that in a couple of cases where it's possible (some InstallShield and MHT archives, I believe), but for the most part this isn't possible. Most extraction is handled by included command-line applications, and the only status I can really get from them are "not done" (.exe is still running) or "done" (.exe has finished). That's why I have the CMD window displayed during extraction - that's the only way i CAN display the progress.

can u please give us some information about a new version of this great application ^^

I haven't forgotten about it; just haven't had much time to deal with it. I really, really want to get v1.6 final out for everyone, probably as much as you want to start using it. :-)

I am trying to unpack the installer for Returnil with Universal Extractor and it won't do it for me. I am using version 1.5 on XP SP2. Whats up with this? Anybody have any success extracting this?

I can't determine the type of installer this is using.

nitro322 can you suggest to me the use of any privately owned commercial unpackers, simply by adding them inside your BIN folder?

Can you explain this a bit more? Not sure I understand what you're asking.

I would like to suggest something.

There are many installer makers like Returnil, Advanced Installer Maker, Smart Installer Maker, etc.

Are the developers going to enhance it so that it can extract many installers built by the installer makers, whether some of which are well-known or not, since it is given a name with "universal" starts first.

I add support for installers/archives/files that are:

• technically possible - eg., there must be some way to do it; otherwise, there isn't anything I can add to UniExtract
  • identifiable - I have to be able to programmatically identify the filetype in order to reliable extract it; this is often harder than it seems, which is why I have a lot of hacks in the code to blindly guess at some filetypes
  • legally possible - this precludes some filetypes, such as InstallShield v12 installers or StuffIt .sitx archives; while I can code support for them, I cannot legally redistribute the necessary utilities to extract them
  • within my capabilities - I'm not a professional developer; I do this as a hobby because I (mostly) enjoy it and because I want to help others. I'm always trying to improve the program wherever I can, but there are some things that I just can't do

So yes, I'm trying to "enhance" it to support everything that's requested on this forum, but sometimes this are either beyond my control or abilities. You can see my really long TODO file for many examples of that. As for the name, it's true that it may not be "universal", but I'm personally rather pleased with the amount of formats I've been able to support. The name was originally chosen because I was trying to support all different kinds of file types (.exe, .msi, .rar, .zip, etc.), not necessarily every possible file format that has ever been conceived. Much of the support in the current version has come as a direct result from suggestions on this forum.

If you want to help improve the software, provide samples and details for any format that you want supported. You mentioned several in your post, but didn't include links to any of them. While I can probably search the internet to find them, I really don't have the time to do so. Simply posting an item that says "I can't extract file X, from program Y, using installer Z (or whatever). Here's the link: ..." is a huge help, as I can download the file and immediately know what I'm working with.

I'm sure you didn't mean any insult with your post, and rest assured that it takes much more than that to get under my skin, but I have seen quite a few similar thoughts expressed both on this board and elsewhere. I wanted to take the time to clear this up a bit and hopefully help people understand that UniExtract will never truly support every single file type/format available, as it's just not possible from both a technical and practical standpoint.

Hi, I need to extract the data.cab in this setup file.

This is in the InstallShield v12 format. I cannot support this due to the lack of a freely redistributable unpacker.

This works fine in the dev version. It's probably an Inno Setup issue. Try downloading the test 0.20 version of innounp and replacing the innounp.exe binary in your existing install then extracting again.

UniversalExtractor can not extract this setup file.:

http://www.drivermagician.com/DriverMagician.exe

Forgot to include this in my last big reply. This file works fine under v1.6. It's an Inno Setup installer, but it's falsely identified as a InstallShield installer; 1.6 includes an option to bypass that method.