Universal Extractor

nitro322

:hello: :hello:

Hi, all of you !

I am french translater and I got same problem as AgiHammerklau with standalone version 1.6 this morning !

running under XP SP2 !

with installer version, no problem, everything goes well !

I have just finished to translate in french language :thumbup :thumbup

tested --> OK !

@+.

jacklours

QUOTE(AgiHammerklau @ Aug 9 2007, 07:42 AM) *

Will try again with Win98SE.

Don't bother. This version will not run under Windows 9x at all. Please see this post for details.

Ooops ! :blush:

Seems, I skipped that, when I went through the 35 pages, sorry !

The drivers are for an old Mustek 600IIEP parport scanner and the guys don´t provide W2K drivers for it.

So I have to use the NT4 or Win98 drivers and apply some tweaks to the registry.

But also tried to extract the W2K drivers for the 1200.

Was also a nogo, same error.

Sorry, can´t provide a link without breaking the forumrules, ´cause Mustek wants to verify the letters on the product label.

Agi

Edited by AgiHammerklau

But i've got a problem. I unziped the files no install, .exe gimme an error and too i can't remove the unziped files, only i can move to my documents.

You're the second person to report this issue. I have no idea what's happening, but I'll definitely look into it. In the meantime, try using the installer version. That seems to be more reliable at this time.

Edit: I just tried downloading and extracting the _noinst.rar package on a separate system and I had no problems with it. Can you (or AgiHammerklau) provide more details about this issue? What OS and SP are you running? Where exactly did you extract the files? Are you running as an administrator or standard (or power) user? Can you post a screenshot or complete textual description of the error message?

Edited by nitro322

Actually, he´s the third, jacklours had the same problem. ;)

I´m using an nlited W2KSP4 with admin rights.

I extracted the zip to :

Z:\progbu\testinst\treiber_tools\uniextract16beta_noinst

Z:\progbu\testinst\treiber_tools is the folder, where the 1.5 and 1.6 installers are in.

1.5 was uninstalled before (made 2 reboots, just to be sure).

Sorry, but I removed the zip and most of the unzipped files, directly after it failed.

There are just the bin, docs and lang folders left.

The message said "Zugriff verweigert" ("access denied"), when starting the exe.

The error occurring while removal sais (roughly translated) either "can´t be removed, source is possibly open" (7zip) or "can´t be removed, source is used by another process" (lang files).

Cannot even copy or rename the folders, guess I have to move my backup partition and format it, to get rid of ´em. :(

Agi

Edited by AgiHammerklau

Well, I just duplicated that access denied error, though I'll be damned if I know why it's occurring. It has to do with the file and folder permissions on the created directory. To fix the problem (and delete the files/folders that are causing problems):

1. Right-click on the uniextract16beta_noinst folder and click Properties
  2. select CREATOR OWNER and check "Full Control"
  3. select your username and check "Full Control"
  4. click Advanced
  5. change to the Owner tab
  6. select your username and check "Replace owner on subcontainers"
  7. click Apply
  8. change to the Permissions tab
  9. select your username and click Edit
  10. verify that you have "Full Control" is checked (check it if necessary) and click ok
  11. check "Replace permission entries on all child objects..."
  12. click Ok, then Yes
  13. click Ok again

This should reset the security permissions on the folder so that you have complete ownership of them. You should be able to now use the program, or delete all of it if you're prefer to use the installer version.

Now, to try to figure out why this happened in the first place. I haven't changed anything about how that .rar file was created since around the 1.2 release. I just update the filenames each time. :( I'll post back once I figure it out.

Edit: This is really weird. If I use Universal Extractor to extract that .rar file, it works properly. However, if I extract it with WinRAR, it has the permissions issue described above. WTF? UniExtract uses the official unrar.exe to extract RAR files, so the results should be the exact same. RAR files are capable of store file permissions and resetting them on extraction, but I did not enable that switch when creating the RAR file.

Edit 2: Well crap. It turns out I had that option enabled in WinRAR after all. Must've done it without realizing it, or at least without realizing the implications. See next post.

Edited by nitro322

I fixed the issue with the standalone/noinst version that a few people have reported. I replaced the file in the original link with the fixed copy. Can someone please download this updated copy and verify that it does indeed work properly?

Thanks.

:blink: :blink:

I have downloaded again uniextract16beta_noinst.rar and tested it again with winrar 3.70!

same problem as describe before, I am not the owner on this folder, I can't replace, delete, modify

on this folder ! ( admin rights on xp SP2 )

I have try to extract with uniextract, and you are right, everything goes well with it !

I am owner on this folder, I can delete, modify, replace.....etc...!!

I have try to compack ( winrar 3.70 ) the folder extract with uniextract and I get a rar file

highier than yours !!!

your uniextract16beta_noinst.rar --> 4 737 Ko --> compress 46%

my uniextract16beta_noinst.rar --> 5 111 Ko --> compress 51 %

may be something wrong with the compress level disturbs the extraction process !

@+.

jacklours

PS : oupssss ! I didn't see your answer, nitro ! I try again right now, sorry !

downloaded right now and tested : working now, I am owner, I can move, modify, rename, delete...etc !!

great job ! nice !

Edited by jacklours

Will give it a try.

Finally removed some files manually, but in the long run, I had to move 110GB (with 5 freezes due to VIA 4in1/ Hyperion drivers) and format the drive.

Found out, there was something wrong with the ownership of the folders/ files.

Suddenly there were, instead of the one and only administrator before, also administrators, S-1-5-21-4053075971-2917252117-2478306495-3000 and S-1-5-.....

Maybe I couldn´t do it easier, because I "nlited" "grouppolicies".

Agi

EDIT

Tested the new standalone and it´s working fine now ! :thumbup

Edited by AgiHammerklau

Hi,

I'm facing a problem with an apllication when I extract it using this useful tool "uniextract". I can extract every thing in the installer except any folder contains spaces like: "Visual C++". I already test it with the latest uniextract v1.6 beta without success. The URL of the installer which I'm trying to extract it:

http://www.activexperts.com/files/activemail/aemail.exe

Thanks

Each new version can give us surprises! :thumbup excellent!!

Advice: UniExtract can support Microsoft Office 2007 filetype such as .docx, .xlsx, .pptx... due to they are ZIP file actually.

I find that you added MANY Chinese language files in the tinstaller :rolleyes:

It seems that Chinese (Simp).ini and Chinese (Simplified).ini are alike, and Chinese (Trad).ini and Chinese (Traditional).ini are the same too.

And you added my language files in it which makes me happy. But two Simplified Chinese files will make the end users confused :wacko:

I have updated my language file to 1.6

see attachment

P.S. Simplified Chinese's native name is not '北方话' but '简体中文'

Chinese_Simplified_.ini

Edited by Clippit

I'm facing a problem with an apllication when I extract it using this useful tool "uniextract". I can extract every thing in the installer except any folder contains spaces like: "Visual C++". I already test it with the latest uniextract v1.6 beta without success.

I'll check it out when I get a chance.

Advice: UniExtract can support Microsoft Office 2007 filetype such as .docx, .xlsx, .pptx... due to they are ZIP file actually.

Well, I don't have any examples to test with, but assuming they are Zip files then TrID should detect them as such and it should "just work". Can anyone confirm this?

I find that you added MANY Chinese language files in the tinstaller :rolleyes:

It seems that Chinese (Simp).ini and Chinese (Simplified).ini are alike, and Chinese (Trad).ini and Chinese (Traditional).ini are the same too.

And you added my language files in it which makes me happy. But two Simplified Chinese files will make the end users confused :wacko:

That's weird. They're shouldn't be more than just one of Simplified and one of Traditional. I'll check it out when I get home. I'm not sure what happened.

I have updated my language file to 1.6. see attachment

Thanks. I know you've been working on this for a while. Is this Simplified or Traditional? I definitely want to put it on my website as an alternative version and give you credit for it.

Well, I don't have any examples to test with, but assuming they are Zip files then TrID should detect them as such and it should "just work". Can anyone confirm this?

That's weird. They're shouldn't be more than just one of Simplified and one of Traditional. I'll check it out when I get home. I'm not sure what happened.

Thanks. I know you've been working on this for a while. Is this Simplified or Traditional? I definitely want to put it on my website as an alternative version and give you credit for it.

1. I have tested a few Office 2007 files and it worked well

2. I know the root cause now. I didn't uninstall the v1.5 and install v1.6β and the same language files have two filename, they were not replaced. So there are two Simplified and Traditional file.

3. Thanks. It is Simplified Chinese.

Hi nitro322, Just love using, Universal Extractor. Besides others like xfd, xad and more (platform dependant). :D

1. Inno and nullsoft installers, possibly more besides. Beta v1.6 tries to extract them wrongly as a zip package, then fails.

2. I noticed for a long time, files that are installers, Universal Extractor all versions reports as below.

Microsoft Visual C++ v6.0 [Overlay]
Microsoft Visual C++ v5.0 [Overlay]
Microsoft Visual C++ v4.0 [Overlay]

test file = SUPER

Unusual for this type of package also to have upx outer pack shell. The inside packed software reports itself as Microsoft Visual C++ v4.0 [Overlay].

I have come across many installers that say the above when trying to extract. Does Universal Extractor support these or planned to support this type of installer.

Edited by exogenesis

I installed Universal Extractor 1.6 beta and then tried to "UniExtract Files..." from the file uniextract16beta.exe itself, but I got an error. It said that it appeared to be an Inno Setup file, but that it was unable to handle it. In the log it sayd "Signature detected: Inno Setup Setup Data (5.1.13)

This is not directly supported, but i'll try to unpack it as version 5110

; Version detected: 5113

Critical error: The setup files are corrupted. Please obtain a new copy of the program.

Unpacking failed. This version is not supported.

".

Can You help me?

Thank You

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Great program.

The one format I have been trying to add to extractors is SHN Shorten format.

Is it possible to add unSHN?

They are one file per archive but your script should be able to handle that?

Or would you consider this a conversion?

I only read about half of this thread it is on the large side.

Thanks