Universal Extractor

nitro322

you can add also http://oss.netfarm.it/download/unshield.exe

it's able to decompress most installshield cabs

sherpya, do you know the origin of that file? I know unshield comes from the SynCE project (I've looked at it many times), but I've never found a native version of it before that doesn't require cygwin. This is a really good find, and I'd like to make sure I credit both the original author(s) at the SynCE product as well as the porter.

And yeah, I know it's been a while since you posted that. Hopefully you're still following this thread. :-)

Maybe he's not but I think I can answer: there are two main ways to run linux/unix apps under windows. The first one is cygwin which aims at providing full support for unix apps, no matter the speed. The other one is mingw32 which iirc is a fork from cygwin which focuses on performance first.

Both produce native apps but mingw-compiled apps do not need any dll file.

I have a working mingw environnement here; just give me a sourcecode and I can compile it for you. =)

edit: I downloaded the source; there's a compilation problem but it seems minimal. I'll see if I can optimize it for size. And before I forget: which file could I test it on?

Edited by Camarade_Tux

Well heres the direct link for trial.

I can't figure out what kind of installer it is. It's some kind of SFX-based installer (run it with ' /?' appended to see supported arguments), but I can't find any way to either rip out the files or instruct the installer to only extract the files without installing.

Also have you ever tried providing fake information?

Certainly. I just generally prefer to not register for stuff unless I absolutely need to, whether it's using fake or real data. Feel free to call me paranoid. :)

I have a working mingw environnement here; just give me a sourcecode and I can compile it for you. =)

edit: I downloaded the source; there's a compilation problem but it seems minimal. I'll see if I can optimize it for size. And before I forget: which file could I test it on?

The copy of unshield.exe that was linked to seems to already be a native win32 app (in this case, I'm using native to mean non-dependent on Cygwin). I wouldn't spend much time tryng to compile this yourself - unless I'm mistaken, it'd just be a duplication of work. What I was more interested in is tracking down where this came from, because I spent at least a couple hours, probably longer, looking for this at several points since I began working on UniExtract. And now, seemingly out of the blue, but turns up in a locked down directory with no other information about it. That's just a bit frustrating. :)

As for testing, I haven't gotten that far yet. ;) Mostly been trying to get myself back on track tonight, remember where I left off on a bunch off stuff. I'll certainly let you know if I come across anything that could use some additional testing.

I tried this Kingston 98se USB-memory stick driver, to no avail (it produced 0-byte inf files) and so I tried to extract it using UE1.5. It has an older (2000?) InstallShield installer.

I'm not sure what was causing your problem, but it both files extract perfectly for me with the current dev version. I have not tested v1.5, though, because I've already made many significant changes and it'd be a waste of time to troubleshoot the older version at this point. Hold out a little bit for the next version and it should work fine for you.

I see. :lol:

For the compilation thing, I just thought it would be a bit cleaner and whether gcc size optimizations were efficient.

Moreover, I wanted to see how much work had to be done to port a basic app to mingw. Quick but it seems gcc compiled ASCII C while the code contains non-ASCII things so it could have been quicker.

Btw, my binary is 3354o, no matter the level of optimization I use (-O2 [level2], -Os , or even -O3 [level 3] which is said to be space hungry).

Now, let's go back to my package manager for windows. :P

I've found two files that Universal Extractor cannot fully decompress.

One of them is here:

http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=Files&a...&dwn_id=365

The executable found inside the 7zip file cannot be extracted.

I can't get this to work. It appears to be either Installer VISE or Setup Factory, but cmdTotal isn't having any luck with it. That's the only utility I'm aware of that can extract either, so there isn't much else I can do.

Edit: Definitely Setup Factory, but it's version 7.0. cmdTotal only supports 6.0. I haven't found anything that can support newer versions.

The other one is here:

http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/data/IS_AP_ST...307_0.1.0.9.zip

The "data1.cab" file inside the "Disk1" folder cannot be extracted.

Well, I have good news and bad news for this one. I was able to get it to extract, but I could only do so with a program that I'm not allowed to redistribute. :( It appears to be using the absolute latest version of InstallShield, which doesn't appear to be supported by anything other than Macromedia/InstallShield's own utilities. This topic has come up previously in this thread, and the bottom line is that the license on this utility forbids and kind of redistribution.

If you want to try extracting these files yourself, search for "InstallShield CAB File Viewer" or is12cabfv or ISCabVu. It's not a very intuitive utility, but it works.

Edited by nitro322

Then I process the .MSP file with Universal Extractor and finally get the individual files. But they have very confusing names and no extension :(

Unfortunately, I can't even get to the MSP file. I'm unable to extract the main installer, which tells me that, "The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing..." It won't even let me extract the files using the command you provided.

Damnit.

As for your MSP issue, I think the filename issue is not uncommon. I haven't tested against too many MSP files, but I've found that when I have to "rip" files out of MSI or MSP files (as opposed to an administrative install) the file names tend to get mangled. I haven't found a workarond yet, but I agree, it'd be nice if it was a cleaner and more automated process.

Now, let's go back to my package manager for windows. :P

You're writing a package manager for Windows? I'm intrigued. Do you have any information about this out there? Would be interested in reading about it.

I don't quite follow you here. I'm currently using UnUHARC 0.6b. Is this different? It appears to be the same version.

Universal Extractor has problems with the NGO NVIDIA Optimized Driver (click for download)

cmdtotal crashed a few times and heres the log:

This works for me in the current dev version. As I stated previously, I've made a number of significant changes already, so I'm not going to go back and troubleshoot the older version. Please wait until I release the new version (I'll hopefully get a beta out within the next week or so) and let me know if you still have any issues.

can u please fix this under vista:

124ph0.th.jpg

Alright, I just threw a really ugly hack at this: if you're running Vista, the installer will no longer attempt to associate UniExtract with CHM files. This is near the top of the list of dumb Vista features that I've come across so far. I was really hoping to provide a better solution than just preventing association, but so far that's all I've been able to come up with and I just don't have much desire to spend a whole lot more time on such an asinine problem.

If anyone has any better ideas, I'm open to suggestions. For now, though, I'm calling this one done.

Edited by nitro322

Urgent request - can you please post any issues with Vista that you've seen? I have access to a Vista system for another couple of hours, and then after that it'll be about a month before I have access to it again.

So far I've addressed two issues:

• UniExtract cannot be associated with CHM files (see previous post)
  • Users cannot write files to C:\ by default - I solved this by simply making %temp% the new default location for debug files

I plan on reworking some bits in UniExtract to better align to Vista's segregation model, but that won't happen until a future version. For now, I just want to fix any known issues that's hindering installation or use. As I said, I only have a very short amount of time to work on this, so if you've come across any issues besides the two listed above, please post any and all details ASAP.

Thanks!

Damnit, damnit, damnit. I came across some more problems testing Vista, specifically with limited user accounts. I'm going to have to rewrite the preferences system in order to make it work correctly, which is going to add a lot more work than I was hoping to this release cycle. I'm debating whether to make these changes now or hold off a bit longer as I had planned and noted in my previous post.

Sigh, a perfectionist's work is never done. ;) I'll give this some more thought tomorrow. I'm not going to have access to a Vista system anymore after tonight, but I have a pretty good feel for what's needed now, so I can continue to work on it and hopefully get any remaining issue shaken out during the beta release.

Btw, for anyone interested, here's the current changelog for this release. It's still a work in progress, but I figure I'd post this here now to get feedback on any important issues that I've not yet addressed.

Added support for FEAD Optimizer packages (eg, Adobe Reader installers)
Added support for LZMA compressed files
Added support for Nero NRG CD-ROM images (data only) via nrg2iso
Added support for Reflexive Arcade installer wrapper via RAIU
Added "Not an InstallShield installer" option to InstallShield method select
dialog to force UniExtract to handle TrID false positives
Added components section to installer; makes installation of
docs, languages, and certain (large) binaries optional
Added SendTo icon option to installer
Added internationalization support for decompressed ASPack and UPX files
Added Hungarian, Portuguese, Romanian, Turkish, and Valencian (Catalan)
translations
Added return codes to indicated status of extraction (actually added in 1.5):
0 = successful exit or user-initiated cancel
1 = supposedly supported file, but extraction failed
2 = debug file is not writable, aborted
3 = unknown executable - cannot be extracted
4 = unknown filetype - cannot be extracted
5 = invalid output directory specified
Fixed bug that displayed debugging message box during Inno Setup extraction
Fixed support for Microsoft hotfixes (again)
Fixed support for relative paths
Fixed support for UNC paths
Fixed missing Spanish language option during installation
Removed Adobe-specific report (now handled by generic FEAD support)
Updated UniExtract to make ACE, KGB, Pea, and StuffIt support optional
Updated UniExtract to read English.ini from root install directory
Updated UniExtract to output debug files to %temp% by default
Updated UniExtract to verify that debug file location can be written to
Updated UniExtract changelog to add notice of Vietnamese translation in 1.5
Updated TrID detection of MS Self-Extracting CAB (Type 1) archives
Updated TrID detection of Zip Self-Extracting archives
Updated CD-ROM image support to bypass TrID detection and rely on extensions
Updated installer to use Start Menu icons page and include uninstall icon
Updated installer language initialization code for simplicity
Updated installer to require administrative privileges;
non-admin users should use binary archive (portable) version
or use a copy installed by the system administrator
Updated installer to prevent association with CHM files under Vista
Updated 7-Zip to 4.48 beta
Updated innounp to 0.19
Updated Inno Setup to 5.1.12
Updated Pea to 1.6 (cannot use newer version due to broken GUI controls)
Updated UnRAR to 3.70
Updated UPX to 3.00

Edited by nitro322