Universal Extractor

nitro322

I have the same virus problem. I assume that it's a false positive too, but Avast don't let me work with uniextract. I've tried the zipped (rar) package and it still detects the virus. It never happened to me before, so it's Avast's last database fault.

Hope someone find a solution, uniextract is very useful, I can't live without it!!

• 2 weeks later...

found one here: Universal Extractor 1.5 & here: [Release] Universal Extractor 1.5 & here: [Release] Universal Extractor 1.5 ... i remember having this already ... he! he! (but just like what was already posted it shows a beta ver) ... sorry for the bother ...

The first 2 releases you posted are mine....

They are not a beta version of 1.5... (even though they show it)

I asked Nitro about it in this thread and here is what he said....

Yeah, that's been fixed. Somewhat reported it very quickly, before I had even posted the announcement here, so I just pushed out a fixed 1.5 package. Relatively few people should be affected by that, and it's just a cosmetic issue even for those that are.

Since its just a cosmetic issue, I chose not to update the release...

hi Makave2345! yup i knew about the cosmetic issue ... i simply answered my own inquiry 2 posts up so i wouldn't bother anybody anymore ... i know about your work too & in facy that's what i use ;)

Edited by Kiki Burgh

Hi,

Please, please, include support for decompressing FEAD files in Universal Extractor. It would be really helpful.

I've found the following links:

http://www.schooltechnician.co.uk/knowledg...tract_tool.html

http://www.schooltechnician.co.uk/knowledg...mmand_line.html

Could it be possible?

Hewlett Packard is using those dreaded FEAD installers a lot. And it's getting more and more cumbersome to extract files from them. Many times you just want the drivers, but it seems that HP loves to force their bloated installer down your throat :(

So, please, consider adding support for FEAD files in a future version.

Thanks.

i tried to extract quicktimealt178.exe, the quick time alternative version 1.78. Universal extractor just sits with a "Scanning window" for over 20 minutes, i know its not down to the speed of my computer (Core2 Duo E6600).

This is not the first time it has occured on installation files but it wasnt a big probem. I thought that it might be useful to know this though, so decided to post now.

i tried to extract quicktimealt178.exe, the quick time alternative version 1.78. Universal extractor just sits with a "Scanning window" for over 20 minutes, i know its not down to the speed of my computer (Core2 Duo E6600).

This is not the first time it has occured on installation files but it wasnt a big probem. I thought that it might be useful to know this though, so decided to post now.

The log says that the installer is password protected, so the window hangs so you can manually enter the password. It could also be a custom build of Inno Setup, or innounp just doesn't know how to extract it.

Edited by dA CLOwN

butthis is not the only installer its doing this on. I create a program myself (for file encryption) and used NSIS with an old layout to create an installer. This installer is having the same problem and so are numerous others, but when i check the log file there is nothing. I have downloaded the non installer version numerous times (so i wont get reg conflicts by constantly deleting he non-working version to replace) but still he same problem. I have used Uniextract for a while and this is the first problem i have encountered.

If i find more installers that it does thi on i will let you know.

Another example. I tried to extract xpize46 (not for the code but just to see i fit would work). USSF sees it as an NSIS installer yet i get the "hanging" window and the below log file.

TrID/32 - File Identifier v2.02 - (C) 2003-06 By M.Pontello
Definitions found: 2359
Analyzing...

Collecting data from file: L:\firefox\XPize46Full.exe
38.5% (.EXE) UPX compressed Win32 Executable (30569/9/7)
33.5% (.EXE) Win32 EXE Yoda's Crypter (26569/9/4)
13.2% (.EXE) Win32 Executable Generic (10527/13/4)
9.5% (.DLL) Win32 Dynamic Link Library (generic) (7600/42/2)
2.5% (.EXE) Generic Win/DOS Executable (2002/3)

Edited by phkninja

I have the same virus problem. I assume that it's a false positive too, but Avast don't let me work with uniextract. I've tried the zipped (rar) package and it still detects the virus. It never happened to me before, so it's Avast's last database fault.

Yes, this is a false positive. See this post. Unfortunately it's a common issue with AutoIt apps, and there just isn't anything I can do about it.

Please, please, include support for decompressing FEAD files in Universal Extractor. It would be really helpful.

This is already included in the dev version. :)

I don't know why you're having this issue. I'll investigate.

Note, if it's an encrypted (password-protected) installer as dA CLOwN mentioned, then you cannot extract it without the password. However, it should not hang at the Scanning message. It should proceed past that and the Extracting stage, then display a CMD window. If it's truly hanging at the Scanning stage then something's wrong. I may need to follow up with you for some more info.

I did try that option but I got an AutoIt error. Did it work on your PC?

yes, it extracted fine on my PC.

How do you get an AutoIt error from an Installshield Installer?

UniExtract is written in AutoIt, so if it craps out for some reason during an extraction process then you'll see an AutoIt error message. :)

anonymous_person, sounds like you have your problem solved now. Let me know if you have any other issues.