Universal Extractor

nitro322

2. It seems that UNRAR will add the "rar" extension for a file without any extension, so it can't find the correct file.

Interesting. I tested a .zip file and an .exe installer with no extension, and they both worked, but I hadn't checked .rar files. Will need to investigate.

3. Sometimes TrID thinks the files without any extension are directories. A few days ago I met such the case, but I can't remember this clearly.

Well, unfortunately there isn't a whole lot that I can do about that. If a file is missing its extension then UniExtract is completely dependent on TrID to identify the file. If that fails, then UniExtract fails. If you can find the file that was misidentified, it may be worthwhile to contact the TrID author and let him know.

4. Some exe and msi file can be extracted correctly. When I delet the extensions of them, the extraction will fail.

Will have to investigate this as well - like I said, I only tested a few test cases.

Besides, the tray icon didn't work well.

The icon was enabled based on some previous suggestions. It's simply an easy mechanism to kill UniExtract should something fail. It's default AutoIt behavior, which prior to this version had been disabled. It's not meant to be a user interface for the program.

I agree with your points, but it's not really a bug. I'll revisit this idea for version 1.6.

One installer I've never had any luck with is Skype's.

Yeah, Skype's a known problem. They used a custom build of Inno Setup, which is similar enough for innounp to recognize, but different enough to fail unpacking. I haven't been able to find any way to work around this.

Hey Nitro...

Program works great... But...

I noticed that if you go to Universal Extractor default install directory,

Program Files\Universal Extractor and double click on the file UniExtract.exe,

the box that comes up says in the heading Universal Extractor 1.5 beta.

Was wondering if this was overlooked or ???

Edited by Makave2345

I noticed that if you go to Universal Extractor default install directory,

Program Files\Universal Extractor and double click on the file UniExtract.exe,

the box that comes up says in the heading Universal Extractor 1.5 beta.

Yeah, that's been fixed. Someone reported it very quickly, before I had even posted the announcement here, so I just pushed out a fixed 1.5 package. Relatively few people should be affected by that, and it's just a cosmetic issue even for those that are.

Edited by nitro322

hello

got a bug report: i'm using win98se(german) +usp2 and version 1.4.1, 1.4.2, 1.5 of uniextractor (with and without installer) simply not working... after some detection of type of installer it always stated ' ... seems to be supported but someting went wrong...' ...

this time i find maybe one or teh reason: even the zipversion seems to delete my whole PATH variable! after the execution of the executable the variable was overriden (not appened!) by the path of installation of uniextractor, and nothing moreinside! to verify i reboot, after an reboot of teh system PATH was correctly set by autoexec.bat and afterward destroyed on execution of uniextractor.... :/

hope this helps...

Great app! Works for most setups I try :)

By the way would it be possible to cascade the context menu options (I have so many already...).

It would also be nice if we could edit the program prefences/options using the GUI (currently it's only possible thought the setup during instalation).

Would it be possible for Universal Extractor to decompile swf into fla? The only free program I know doesn't work very well with newer flash version (SWFaFLA). Maybe combining some open source tools like swfmill, MTASC, haXe or SWFRIP... It would be real nice!

Keep up the good work!

Edited by frmariam

I've tried reading over many of the posts here in this topic. I haven't found much discussion about Vista though? Has there been much testing with it?

I installed this on my Vista system about a week ago and received these errors during the installation:

error.jpg

error1.jpg

error2.jpg

error3.jpg

error4.jpg

error5.jpg

error6.jpg

Universal Extractor seems to be working properly, but I just thought it was a good idea to catch screenshots of the error messages and report them here.

got a bug report: i'm using win98se(german) +usp2 and version 1.4.1, 1.4.2, 1.5 of uniextractor (with and without installer) simply not working... after some detection of type of installer it always stated ' ... seems to be supported but someting went wrong...' ...

this time i find maybe one or teh reason: even the zipversion seems to delete my whole PATH variable!

Unfortunately, this is somewhat of a known issue. AutoIt and Windows 9x seem to have a whole lot of difficulty agreeing on the PATH, so I've been hacking awaay at various workarounds for the last few versions. You can read through this thread for some of my frustrations with this issue (also look for some of drugwash's previous posts - it sounds like he had the same issues).

I'm going to continue to work on that when I have time, but Windows 9x is not officially supported, so this is a "when I have the time" kind of issue.

By the way would it be possible to cascade the context menu options

Would love to, but it can't currently be done. Please review this thread for previous discussions about this.

It would also be nice if we could edit the program prefences/options using the GUI (currently it's only possible thought the setup during instalation).

For the most part, you can. The relevant options will appear as needed. For example. the "remove duplicate files" option will appear when you choose to use InstExplorer to extract archives. These options are displayed as needed rather than globally in the main GUI.

Unfortunately, there are currently some cases where a specific option is used and you are not prompted for this option before hand. I'm investigating possible ways of handling that. I may add a separate options page, or something similar, in future versions.

Would it be possible for Universal Extractor to decompile swf into fla?

Probably not, but I'll look into it just in case.

I've tried reading over many of the posts here in this topic. I haven't found much discussion about Vista though? Has there been much testing with it?

There's been some discussion in the last couple months about Vista. The basic story there is that I don't have access to a system running Windows Vista, so I'm very limited in my ability to test and fix Vista-related issues. As such, Vista is currently not an officially supported OS, though I plan on doing my best to fix issues that are reported.

I installed this on my Vista system about a week ago and received these errors during the installation:

This is one of those issues that I still need to figure out. :) Will try to address it as soon as I can.

This is one of those issues that I still need to figure out. :) Will try to address it as soon as I can.

That's why you don't have read permissions in the .chm-Key in the registry in Vista. Open regedit and go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\chm.file and modify your rights ;)

There's been some discussion in the last couple months about Vista. The basic story there is that I don't have access to a system running Windows Vista, so I'm very limited in my ability to test and fix Vista-related issues. As such, Vista is currently not an officially supported OS, though I plan on doing my best to fix issues that are reported.
Hi,

Do you need new hardware, a legal copy of Vista or what?

Take Care,

Will

I dont think "reversing" swf's back into fla's is part of UniExtracts function domain, since it is not an archive or installer, instead an animation file. Besides you cannot really recover the original fla anyway.

BTW this is probably a known but FFDShow cannot be extracted, I am using the latest "tryout builds" but they all use the same installer I think.

Do you need new hardware, a legal copy of Vista or what?

I just don't have a copy of Vista. Microsoft has severely p***ed me off with the licensing terms for Vista, the forced WGA checks and calling home, the ridiculous new levels of DRM that they're trying to shove down my throat, etc. I have do not intend nor desire to buy a copy of Vista. I'm perfectly happy with Gentoo, and rebooting to my copy of XP when necessary. It's really a shame, too - a lot of the new security features and technologies are long overdue in the Windows environment.

With that said, though, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I have access to some Vista box somewhere, be it at work, a friend's house, etc. At that point I'll do what I can to make sure UniExtract works properly.

BTW this is probably a known but FFDShow cannot be extracted, I am using the latest "tryout builds" but they all use the same installer I think.

Can you post a link? I can never figure out where exactly you're supposed to download it from. The Sourceforge site only lists builds from 2002 and 2004.

Edited by nitro322

For a free, flexible shell extension with cascaded menus you should try Fast Explorer 2006.

It basically consist of a DLL and a menu ini file.

You may freely use and redistribute the FEShlExt.dll shell extension module

with your applications for both commercial and non-commercial purposes.

Concerning FFDShow:

ffdshow-tryouts hosts the latest builds. They use InnoSetup 5.1.x which unpacks fine with InnoUnp 0.19

Edited by ZoSTeR

this time i find maybe one or teh reason: even the zipversion seems to delete my whole PATH variable!

Unfortunately, this is somewhat of a known issue. AutoIt and Windows 9x seem to have a whole lot of difficulty agreeing on the PATH, so I've been hacking awaay at various workarounds for the last few versions. You can read through this thread for some of my frustrations with this issue (also look for some of drugwash's previous posts - it sounds like he had the same issues).

I'm going to continue to work on that when I have time, but Windows 9x is not officially supported, so this is a "when I have the time" kind of issue.

thanks nitro for further investigating this topic.... i also tried to pindown the problem....

'winset.exe' works... for instance, if start uniextractor with this bat:

start.bat

''winset path2=%path%;c:\uniextractor;c:\uniextractor\bin

uniextractor.exe

winset path=%path2%''

... the path variable is recovered succesful & not destroyed (but uniextractor is also not working.... :/)

found also your topic on autoit forum... bug is known but no progress here....

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15053

i'm highly intrested in helping solving this bug because your tool is extremely uselful especially for older OS because strange installation packages are often the only reason for the not-working of software on win9x.... so if can help in some way testing autoit scripts or other stuff??

Edited by shaddam