Universal Extractor

nitro322

OIC have uniextract dettect and mod the msi on the fly

Great Idea... But I think hard to implement

Yeah, agreed. I'll check it out and see if there's anything I can do, but this will be a low-priority request.

Inno has released a new installer and extraction fails with files created by it.

Oh, now that's just mean. :( I was actually on thier site earlier today to verify that I was using the latest version before creating the final 1.5 package, and only 5.1.9 was available at that time. :realmad:

Oh well. I've already packaged up 1.5 at this point, and will not be making any more changes. Right now I'm just updating some documentation in preparation for the release. The Inno Setup issue will have to wait until 1.5.1.

Thanks for letting me know about it, though.

Edited by nitro322

Finally 1.5 is out! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Yeah, just hadn't yet had a chance to announce it here. Thanks for stealing my thunder. B)

I'm going to update the first post with new download links and a copy of the changelog for this release. In the meantime, you can find out more information about the new features available in Universal Extractor 1.5 from this post on my website, and download it or view the complete changelog from UniExtract's home page.

As usual, feedback is welcome.

Hi nitro323,

Thanks for Universal Extractor. I use it now on regular base to extract most of my archives. I have requested several times some exe-unpackers, but I understand Universal Extractor is not ment to deal with these files anyway. I have switched to Quick Unpack for unpacking exe's now. For everything else Universal Extractor is what I use.

Edited by Acheron

I'm using ur great tool since first release - awesome!

Tonight I installed v1.5 and since then Microsoft Hotfix CAB archives are treated as 7zip files and only _sfx_xxxx._p files come outta there.

Hope you can fix this soon. So long I'm back to 1.42.

Edit:

Umm, was a bit hastily. It's only WINDOWSXP-KB925876-X86-DEU.EXE that's extracted like 7zip.

Edited by chris.b

B)-->

QUOTE(chris.b @ Feb 23 2007, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tonight I installed v1.5 and since then Microsoft Hotfix CAB archives are treated as 7zip files and only _sfx_xxxx._p files come outta there.

Edit: Umm, was a bit hastily. It's only WINDOWSXP-KB925876-X86-DEU.EXE that's extracted like 7zip.

Ok, so just to confirm, the patch you linked to is the ONLY one that behaves this way, correct? All others are extracted as they should be?

Edited by nitro322

Tried some other hotfixes.

WindowsXP-KB931836-x86-DEU, WindowsXP-KB918118-x86-DEU, WindowsXP-KB924667-x86-DEU, WindowsXP-KB926436-x86-DEU, WindowsXP-KB927779-x86-DEU, WindowsXP-KB928090-x86-DEU and many others are treated as 7z files.

at the moment I can't see the reason why uniextract doesn't recognize them as ms cab archives.

I was confused because some hotfixes like KB905474 were correct extracted BUT this also works with 7zip 4.44.

In uniextract 1.42 there was always a massage like "extracting MS CAB hotfix archive..." in the cmd box, now it say "extracting 7zip..."

B)-->

QUOTE(chris.b @ Feb 23 2007, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
at the moment I can't see the reason why uniextract doesn't recognize them as ms cab archives.

Universal Extractor doesn't recognize them as MS Cab Archives because TrID isn't reporting them as such. I just updated the TrID definition for that filetype. Please try downloading this file and extracting it to the bin\ directory of your UniExtract installation:

TrIDDefs.rar

This file contains the updated definition. You'll want to replace the existing TrIDDefs.TRD in the bin\ directory.

Let me know if that works for you, please.

Also, if anyone else discovers a similar issue, please report it here, along with a download link to the specific file. I can use scan those files to add support for them (and similar files) to figure versions of UniExtract.

Edited by nitro322