Universal Extractor

nitro322

I'm getting an error on Windows 98SE after all files have been extracted from an archive successfully. It's a weird error.

I'll be releasing a beta version for 1.5 within the next day or so. Please test that version and let me know if you still get the error. If so, an actual copy of the message or screenshot should help greatly.

Some other useful progs :)

Thanks for the suggestions, but 1.5 is pretty much frozen at this point. I'm just finishing up some testing and debugging right now. I'll keep these in mind for the next version, though.

Thank you, Stranger. I have recenltly found Dragon's Unpacker (by searching for "ADF MP3 encryption" in google). Very useful and clean proggie. The same goes for Cab viewer. I will investigate Game Extractor, it looks promising.

However most of them are applications of their own and wouldn't benefit from a frontend – Universal Extractor.

Universal Extractor doesn’t extract all files of Scorched 3D (data/accessories/white.bmp is missing).

It looks like it should do it, just to a different location:

C:\1\Scorched3D-40.1d>where /r . "white.bmp"
C:\1\Scorched3D-40.1d\$_OUTDIR\data\accessories\sa6\white.bmp
C:\1\Scorched3D-40.1d\$_OUTDIR\data\tanks\tux\white.bmp
C:\1\Scorched3D-40.1d\$_OUTDIR\data\windows\white.bmp

I'm not familiar with this game, so I don't know for certain if these are the files you're looking for, but I've noticed that installers sometimes store files internally differently than they install to disk. One common example is that an installer might include both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of an .exe - which one gets installed depends on your system, but both are included in the installer so both may be extracted when "ripped" from the installer.

Anyway, if that's NOT what you're looking for, then I'm afraid I can't help you any further. UniExtract relies entirely upon 7-Zip for NSIS support, so if 7-Zip is missing something then there isn't really anything I can do.

can u please fix this under vista:

124ph0.th.jpg

i get this if i run the setup for installation :whistle: and so on...

I also got this error. That's because Admins don't have access to the Key (even if UAC is disabled). Open regedit.exe go to the reg-key and give you the rights and know the setup works :thumbup:whistle:

It took a whole lot longer than expected, but I've finally finished the beta version of Universal Extractor 1.5. I'm including a complete changelog for the beta at the end of this post, but the biggest changes include:

• Filetype signature scanning via TrID
  • Support for a large number of new installers and formats via Total Commander plugins thanks to cmdTotal
  • Multiple new languages and internationalization tweaks

Before posting download links, I'd like to make a few things clear:

• This version contains a large number of changes, include several significant changes in functionality.
  • Because of these changes, I fully expect there to be bugs. The reason I'm posting a public beta is because I need help finding all of them. I've done as much as I can myself; I need some other eyes looking it over now.
  • If version 1.4.2 is working fine for you and you're not interested in beta testing 1.5, please stick with 1.4.2 until the final version of 1.5 is released.
  • If you do download 1.5, please report any and all bugs and other feedback to this forum so I can fix the issues as quickly as possible.

With that said, if you're interested in testing this version and providing feedback, you can download the no-install version from: uniextract15_beta_noinst.rar

Edit: Damnit. I'm having problems with my web host right now. I'll post download links first thing in the morning.

Edit 2: Download link fixed.

Edit 3: I forgot to mention, the language files included in this beta are incomplete. This is a known issue (I didn't provide the beta to the translators until just yesterday), so there's no need to report any errors if you see an English phrase instead of the expected language. This will be updated for the final release.

Here's the beta ChangeLog:

Added filetype signature scanning via TrID; no longer dependent on extensions
Added support for Adobe Reader 7.x and 8.x installers
Added support for Base64, Quoted-Printable, UUe, and yEnc files via uudeview
Added support for Gentee, Installer VISE, and SetupFactory installers
via cmdTotal + InstallExplorer
Added support for InstallShield 3.x SFX installers via stix
Added support for InstallShield 5.x CAB files via i5comp
Added support for Itsy packages (.ipk)
Added support for Outlook Express (DBX) archives
Added support for Pea archives
Added support for SIS (SymbianOS) installers via cmtTotal + PDunSIS
Added support for StuffIt packages (.sit, but not .sitx)
Added support for Windows Installer patch (.msp) files via
cmdTotal + MSI Packer Plugin and 7-zip
Added support for Zoo archives
Added support for files without an extension (eg, unknown files)
Added Polish, Russian, Slovak, and Spanish translations
Fixed bug that prevented extraction of UPXed Zip and 7-Zip installers
Fixed ACE SFX error handling to continue processing if extraction fails
Fixed InstallShield cache mode handling to prevent hangs
Removed 'i6comp by group' option for InstallShield cabs
Removed expand.exe in favor of using 7-Zip for Microsoft Compressed files
Updated UniExtract to scan signatures by default; extensions used as backup
Updated UniExtract to display icon in system tray during extraction
Updated UniExtract to select Cancel by default on PEiD and log prompts
Updated UniExtract internationalization support to simplify translation
Updated UniExtract with many code changes to increase robustness, simplicity,
and efficiency wherever possible
Updated support for Inno Setup, NSIS, Wise Installer, and and InstallShield
via cmdTotal + InstallExplorer
Updated ACE support to include non-PE ACE SFX archives
Updated BIN/CUE support with better conversion support and validation
Updated InstallShield CAB support to display progress dialog
Updated InstallShield cache extraction to support multiple nested MSIs
Updated InstallShield cache extraction to better detect installer window
Updated MHTML support to include option for extraction via
cmdTotal + MHT Packer Plugin
Updated Wise Installer support to include non-PE Wise installers
Updated Wise Installer support to include unzip option
Updated Wise Installer support to append missing file extensions
Updated Wise Installer support to provide option for removing temporary files
Updated Microsoft SFX CAB support for better detection and robustness
Updated Windows Installer support to append missing file extensions
Updated Windows Installer support to include option for extraction via
cmdTotal + MSI Packer Plugin
Updated AutoIt to 3.2.2.0
Updated bin2iso to 1.95
Updated Inno Setup to 5.1.9
Updated UnRAR to 3.62

Edited by nitro322

Well, I actually have three replies for this:

1. I do not run Vista, nor do I expect to have access to a copy anytime soon. As a result, I cannot guarantee Vista support. I will make a best-effort attempt to fix reported problems, but such fixes may be delayed or require assistance from someone that does use Vista. Any Vista users should keep this in mind.

2. The latest version of Inno Setup contains a lot of Vista compatibility updates. I don't know if any of them would relate directly to this issue, but it's possible that this version (which will be used to create the 1.5 installer) may fix the problem on its own.

3. More likely, though, this seems related to another problem that users reported when running as a standard user under Windows XP. Standard users do not have access to write to HKCR registry tree. I have an idea of how to fix this, but it would appear to require duplicating nearly 500 lines worth of registry entries, and I'd prefer not to go that route. I'm still exploring other possible fixes. I'm going to try to have something in place for the final 1.5 release, but again, I cannot make any guarantees.

In the meantime, you may want to try MagicAndre1981's suggestion.

Well, I actually have three replies for this:

1. I do not run Vista, nor do I expect to have access to a copy anytime soon. As a result, I cannot guarantee Vista support. I will make a best-effort attempt to fix reported problems, but such fixes may be delayed or require assistance from someone that does use Vista. Any Vista users should keep this in mind.

2. The latest version of Inno Setup contains a lot of Vista compatibility updates. I don't know if any of them would relate directly to this issue, but it's possible that this version (which will be used to create the 1.5 installer) may fix the problem on its own.

3. More likely, though, this seems related to another problem that users reported when running as a standard user under Windows XP. Standard users do not have access to write to HKCR registry tree. I have an idea of how to fix this, but it would appear to require duplicating nearly 500 lines worth of registry entries, and I'd prefer not to go that route. I'm still exploring other possible fixes. I'm going to try to have something in place for the final 1.5 release, but again, I cannot make any guarantees.

In the meantime, you may want to try MagicAndre1981's suggestion.

By default universal Extractor setup will require Admin rights when using latest Inno Setup. As an Administrator i wouldn't like to see standard users install Shell extensions, change file associations etc. However it should be possible to run Universal Extractor as a standard user when installed by an Admin. No need for workarounds.

You it would be nice to have openoffice document support. They are simple tar.gz files and if you rename than you can them extract them easily. It would however be nice to be able to simply click on them and extract them.

I'm guessing it would be a simple matter of associating uni with the right file extensions.

Thanks..

I dont have the code for 1.5 handy but I could post code for you if you like.