Universal Extractor

nitro322

Thaks for this really useful tool!

If you want to unpack aspack, the best that I know is Stripper (http://syd.nightmail.ru/stripper.dhtml), don't know if you heard about it.

By the way, uniextract failed went I tried to unpack an old install shield .1 file, but winpack was succesfull. If you used winpack when you made this app, maybe you made a mistake. If you want, I could post one of this .1 files (you would have to tell me how).

It's a shame you can't add Install Explorer, a great decompressor, I read an older post and someone else already proposed it, but now there is a different version, with a different author who modified the original, so perhaps that guy could tell you how to integrate it (http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/InstallExplorer.html).

Keep on the improvements!

As an example, download old Winamp 2.95 from http://www.oldversion.com

Test it with universal extractor, fails (old NSIS package).

Test it with Ietotalx, it extracts the files, but without name and extension, just fileXX.bin

Test it with Total Commander (with latest install explorer 0.91 plugin), it shows all files with filenames, and they can be extracted.

I've extract with Universal Extractor Screamer Radio (NSIS Installer).

How i Can Repack it?

Beats me. :) Seriously, this utility is only intended to extract files from archives/installers/packages. If you want to make changes to an NSIS installer and then recompile it, you'll probably need to just create an entirely new installer with NSIS. As far as I'm aware, you can't really "edit" an NSIS installer, and I doubt that the files extracted could simply be repacked without any additional work.

As an alternative, I recommend checking out Inno Setup. Personally I think it is far superior to NSIS, for several reasons. Since you'll likely need to recreate your own installer anyway, it wouldn't really matter whether NSIS or Inno Setup (or anything else, for that matter) was used - just make it functionally do the same thing that the original one did (with your changes, of course).

If you want to unpack aspack, the best that I know is Stripper (http://syd.nightmail.ru/stripper.dhtml), don't know if you heard about it.

I have not heard about that one, but I'll add it to the ever-growing list of unpackers to check out. :)

By the way, uniextract failed went I tried to unpack an old install shield .1 file

That's odd. I just tested version 1.4.2 on my system with a .1 file, and it worked fine. I'm not sure why it's failing for you. How large is the file? Send me a PM, please, and we'll figure out a way for you to get it to me (e-mail, FTP upload, something like rapidshare, etc.).

Well, here is another one, a command line extractor that uses the Install Explorer plugin, that could be added to UniExtract:

Sounds very interesting. Will definitely check it out.

I've extract with Universal Extractor Screamer Radio (NSIS Installer).

How i Can Repack it?

Beats me. :) Seriously, this utility is only intended to extract files from archives/installers/packages. If you want to make changes to an NSIS installer and then recompile it, you'll probably need to just create an entirely new installer with NSIS. As far as I'm aware, you can't really "edit" an NSIS installer, and I doubt that the files extracted could simply be repacked without any additional work.

As an alternative, I recommend checking out Inno Setup. Personally I think it is far superior to NSIS, for several reasons. Since you'll likely need to recreate your own installer anyway, it wouldn't really matter whether NSIS or Inno Setup (or anything else, for that matter) was used - just make it functionally do the same thing that the original one did (with your changes, of course).

Ok thank's nitro32, i try with inno setup.

Alternative PE detectors/analyzers:

ARiD

Archives identifier, now detects 179 types of archives and 22 types of self-extracing

(SFX) archives, also there are some useful functions, such as context menu extension

and search archiver in internet.The program was writed in assembler using masm32. Program detect archive with search signatures in file, no using file extension, filename, etc.

http://patkov-site.narod.ru/files/arid.zip

DETECT iT EASY

http://hellspawn.nm.ru/works/die_059.zip

ExeInfo PE

* Windows 32 PE executable file checker *

* compilators,exe packers .... *

* with solve hint for unpack *

http://www.geocities.com/exeinfo_PE/exeinfope.zip

or

http://www.geocities.com/Exeinfo_pe/exeinfope.zip

or

http://users.cjb.net/exeinfo/exeinfope.zip

PROTECTiON iD

* scanning of PC Games & Application files to detect the protection used(s)

* detects most of the available executable compressor / crypter and it´s up to date in detecting the newest PC-Game protections

* scanning CDs / DVDs for Tagés (only available on win2k / winxp, but no ASPI drivers required)

* scan folders with all the included files

* coded in 100% Win32 Assembly language, allowing it to run on every WinOS since Windows 95

* easy scanning with the shell context menu 'Scan with Protection ID...' or drag & drop files into the (simple to use) GUI

* ability to scan a cracked file and to get possible information which protection was originally used

* check for the newest update and download it

* more strong scanning routines allowing it to detect multiple (!) protections in one file

* no additional files like VB Runtimes, MSVC dlls or ASPI drivers are required, you simply need one exe file !

* constantly updated to detect the newest protections available for PC Games & Applications

http://pid.gamecopyworld.com/ProtectionID_v5.2b.rar

That was the only Chinese file that was e-mailed to me. Can you send me yours? I have no problem including it if it's more accurate.

Sorry, my computer has been broken so I couldn't read your message until today.

But I did sent my Chinese File to you. Maybe there is something wrong with the network .

Now, I have sent the new 1.4.2 Chinese language file to you. Though there have been a Chinese File, you can release it if you would like.

I have an unpacking question for the experts here. There are certain installers distributed as bootstrapped Windows Installer executables. By bootstrapped, I mean it's an .exe file that contains both the MSI and the actual Windows Installer installer. When executed, it extracts both files to a temporary directory, runs the Windows Installer installer to ensure that the system is running the required version, then runs the MSI to install the application.

The odd thing about these files is the way that they're packed. If I run UniExtract on it, it seems to successfully extract the files, but it turns out that it actually extracted the contents of the included Windows Installer installer rather than the package itself.

For example, I'm trying to extract the contents of the VMware Player installer: VMware-player-1.0.3-34682.exe. If I run the file and search for the temporary files extracted to %temp%, I see that it includes two files: VMware Player.msi and instmsiw.exe. instmsiw.exe is, of course, the installer for Windows Installer (sigh, I really wish they'd used a less generic/confusing name). So now, if I use UniExtract to extract the contents of instmsiw.exe, it's identical to the output I get when running UniExtract directly on VMware-player-1.0.3-34682.exe. For some reason, 7-Zip must be extracting files from that portion of the package rather than the package itself.

Like I said, I've seen this behavior with a few such installers, but I've never really taken the time to look into it too deeply (believe me, there's no shortage of stuff to occupy my time lately). However, I'm pretty dang annoyed right now, and would really like to figure this out. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can extract these files? Simply running the installer and trying to copy the self-extracted files from %temp% doesn't seem possible because of the inability to predict the temporary folder name.

I'm really interested in hearing about any suggestions that you may have on this. You can download a copy of VMware player for free if you'd like to try testing it.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I uploaded some examples of extractions that failed, and how I unpacked that files:

Thanks, Perch. This was VERY useful. I was able to get Universal Extractor to support everything you included, with the current exception of Balls98.exe. As previously discussed I cannot use Total Commander because it is not freely redistributable. However, I've been playing around with IETOTALX which is essentially a wrapper for the InstallExplorer plugin to allow it to run as a standalone app, and I've had some limited success with it. It seems to extract the files just fine, but the file names and extensions are not correct (among a couple other issues). I'm going to keep playing with it and see if I have any luck, but so far I've run out of ideas. The fact that it's coded in assembly really doesn't help, either. :(

Alternative PE detectors/analyzers:

These look like some greate suggestions, Stranger. I'll check them out and see if/how they can be used. I've added TrID to the current dev version and so far it seems to be helping with detecting non-exe files.

Now, I have sent the new 1.4.2 Chinese language file to you. Though there have been a Chinese File, you can release it if you would like.

I got it this time. Still don't know what happened last time. I'll check it out when I get a chance.

Thanks.

Edited by nitro322