Universal Extractor

nitro322

I just hope you can add the version number to the topic title every time you release a new one.

That's a good idea. I'll start doing that.

Edit: Well, I tried to do it, but couldn't figure out how. :( Is it possible for a non-admin to change the title of threads?

There is however 1 problem I6comp.exe cannot read InstallShield version 5 files.

The autodetect only distinguishes between different Installshield compression methods,

but not the archive architecture.

orlp, thanks for all of your work on this. This has been requested several times in the past, but I was never able to get any sample apps to use for testing. Your code looks good, and I'd certainly like to add it to the next version of UniExtract (I couldn't do it in time for 1.4.2), but I still need one or more sample apps for testing. Could you please post a download link to an application that uses this format?

Thanks!

Edit: After rereading your post I see that you mentioned a couple apps. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of Photoshop, and obviously you can't post download links for it. Do you happen to know of any other apps, preferably freeware or shareware, that use this format? I'm not familiar with Homesite; is that something I can download?

Hi,

I'm afraid I've only ever seen commercial apps using I5Comp format and as it is now obsolete they won't be offering it on the WEB. Homesite is commercial also (it is an Adobe product).

I can understand that you'd like to see the code working before you incorporate it into the extractor. So I'm attaching a small cab which is part of Installshield version 5. It's called _sys1.cab and is 175K long. It contains four files.

Hope this helps,

Oliver

_sys1.cab

I just hope you can add the version number to the topic title every time you release a new one.

Edit: Well, I tried to do it, but couldn't figure out how. :( Is it possible for a non-admin to change the title of threads?

When editting the 1st post, at the top of the editting window is the posting headers/subheaders

The poster of any initial post can change the title of the thread they created.

shark

I can understand that you'd like to see the code working before you incorporate it into the extractor. So I'm attaching a small cab which is part of Installshield version 5. It's called _sys1.cab and is 175K long. It contains four files.

Thanks, I'll check this out when I get home.

I just tried the zipped 1.4.2 version and it did work on my 98SE! At least for a couple of INNO Setup and 7Zip SFX that I tested with. Thank you very much for looking into 9x issue, your efforts are really appreciated!

Glad to hear it. Another Win9x user has sent me some bug reports via e-mail, and I believe there are still some problems with this version as well, but I'll continue to look into it.

When editting the 1st post, at the top of the editing window is the posting headers/subheaders The poster of any initial post can change the title of the thread they created.

Will check it out. Thanks for the tip.

There is however 1 problem I6comp.exe cannot read InstallShield version 5 files.

The autodetect only distinguishes between different Installshield compression methods,

but not the archive architecture.

orlp, thanks for all of your work on this. This has been requested several times in the past, but I was never able to get any sample apps to use for testing. Your code looks good, and I'd certainly like to add it to the next version of UniExtract (I couldn't do it in time for 1.4.2), but I still need one or more sample apps for testing. Could you please post a download link to an application that uses this format?

Thanks!

Edit: After rereading your post I see that you mentioned a couple apps. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of Photoshop, and obviously you can't post download links for it. Do you happen to know of any other apps, preferably freeware or shareware, that use this format? I'm not familiar with Homesite; is that something I can download?

I'm sorry but I forgot to post the header file with the cab - here they both are in a zip file. I've just checked that the code works with 1.4.2 and it seems to be ok.

_sys1.zip

It would be very nice for the next releases if there can be a submenu for the context menu ...

This has been requested several times already, but for reasons I explained in previous comments it cannot be done without a shell extension DLL. Please search through previous posts for more details.

nitro322, thanks for the useful tool!

By the way, why don't you apply choise of several unpackers for Aspack, like for Wise installers.

Yoda's AsspackDie is quite a good and smallest of them but not the best. Sometimes it can't unpack a specific

Aspack compressed file, while others Aspack decompressors can.

Here is two of them: http://uploaded.to/?id=8f212c

Sorry for my bad English.

Edited by Stranger

It's been a long time I had no occasion to use UniExtract and I must say I'm really impressed : I had no problem, the new interface is cool.

The only thing I miss is a tickbox to keep UE opened after extraction so I can expand another file.

Thanks again. :)

@Stranger, AspackDie.exe is already in /bin.

By the way, why don't you apply choise of several unpackers for Aspack, like for Wise installers.

Yoda's AsspackDie is quite a good and smallest of them but not the best. Sometimes it can't unpack a specific

Aspack compressed file, while others Aspack decompressors can.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it for the next major version.

The only thing I miss is a tickbox to keep UE opened after extraction so I can expand another file.

This wouldn't be difficult to implement, but I'm trying to understand the usefulness. You can drag-and-drop a file onto the binary or a shortcut to the binary just as fast as the GUI. Alternatively, if you're using the installer and have context menu associations enabled, you can simple select all of the files that you want to extract, right-click on one of them, then Click UniExtract to Subdir. All selected files will be extracted to their own subdirectories.

Any other thoughts on this?

Hi all, i'm trying for the first time Universal Extractor 1.4.2 and i had a problem: during extraction from an .exe setup file an alert poped up with the message: ".... the file .... can't be extracted. File type is: Microsoft Visual C++ 7.0 [Debug]

Click on OK if you want to analyze the file separately or on cancel to quit.

what does mean this message? what am I suppose to do?

thanx all :D

during extraction from an .exe setup file an alert poped up with the message: ".... the file .... can't be extracted. File type is: Microsoft Visual C++ 7.0 [Debug]

<SNIP>

what does mean this message? what am I suppose to do?

That simply means that the file cannot be extracted/unpacked/decompressed. There's nothing that you really can do. Just click cancel to exit. If you'd prefer, you can click OK to analyze the file in PeID, but that won't be of much help for end-users.

I can't unpack this with Universal Extractor:

DOSBox 0.65

[ExeinfoPE: Installer Nullsoft PiMP Stub - ( read from Ovl : NullsoftInstkS )

PEID: Nullsoft PiMP SFX]

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dosbox/...er.exe?download

D-FEND V2 beta 2 (frontend for DOSBox)

[CreateInstall v2003.3.5]

http://members.home.nl/mabus/files/dfend_v2_beta_2.zip

ProgDVB

http://download.progdvb.com/ProgDVB4.80.5FullInstall.exe

Another alternative Aspack unpacker:

RL!deASPack 2.x

http://ap0x.jezgra.net/RL!deASPack%202.x.rar

DOSBox 0.65

This is using an old version of NSIS that is not supported by 7-Zip.

D-FEND V2 beta 2 (frontend for DOSBox)

[CreateInstall v2003.3.5]

I looked into CreateInstall a while back for Gentee installers. I couldn't figure out any way to extract it, though.

ProgDVB

I can't even figure out what kind of installer this is, let alone how to unpack it.

Another alternative Aspack unpacker: RL!deASPack 2.x

Thanks, will check it out.