Universal Extractor

nitro322

1-EML email format used in outlook

2- IMF IncrediMail File

3-db & dbx outlook / express DataBase

Good suggestions, freeko. I started looking into this, and here are my initial thoughts:

EML - These files do not behave the same way as regular MHT files. The most noticeable difference is that they contain two separate boundaries, one nested within the other, which really wreaks havoc with my script. I started playing around with this and implementing some preliminary ideas, but right now it looks like this will take too much work to support properly without enough payoff. If this proves to be a popular request I may add it to a future version, but I'm going to hold off for now.

One other issue is that there are apparently different standards for .eml files. The .eml files saved by Thudnerbird, for example, are standard mbox files, drastically different than these (which, I presume, were created with Outlook Express).

IMF - I've never heard of this before, but if it's nothing more than a renamed cab file, then support is simple. It'll be included in 1.3.

db & dbx - I don't really know what to do with this. What are .db and .dbx files? From the description on the sites you linked to I'm guessing they're Outlook Express files, but I really don't know for sure. If they are, what exactly would you want to do with them? IE, how does this fit in with Universal Extractor's stated purpose of being able to extract files from archives and installers?

1-EML email format used in outlook

2- IMF IncrediMail File

3-db & dbx outlook / express DataBase

Good suggestions, freeko. I started looking into this, and here are my initial thoughts:

EML - These files do not behave the same way as regular MHT files. The most noticeable difference is that they contain two separate boundaries, one nested within the other, which really wreaks havoc with my script. I started playing around with this and implementing some preliminary ideas, but right now it looks like this will take too much work to support properly without enough payoff. If this proves to be a popular request I may add it to a future version, but I'm going to hold off for now.

One other issue is that there are apparently different standards for .eml files. The .eml files saved by Thudnerbird, for example, are standard mbox files, drastically different than these (which, I presume, were created with Outlook Express).

IMF - I've never heard of this before, but if it's nothing more than a renamed cab file, then support is simple. It'll be included in 1.3.

db & dbx - I don't really know what to do with this. What are .db and .dbx files? From the description on the sites you linked to I'm guessing they're Outlook Express files, but I really don't know for sure. If they are, what exactly would you want to do with them? IE, how does this fit in with Universal Extractor's stated purpose of being able to extract files from archives and installers?

EML= i second that.. for initial support you can add the Base64 extraction of the embedded files..

IMF= thanks.. to resolve any future error .. UX should support files via header not extension. In my example. it has "MSCF" signature..which means CAB..

DB= db & dbx is a database of the EML files so you extract EML from these database then extract the content of the extracted EML files.. and it depends on EML support

Edited by freeko

Thanks for this release. Shell integration works ok now.

P.S. I would really like it if you could make the taskbar button for Universal Extractor visible, so you could end the program manually, without using taskmanager.

Edited by hp38guser

I tried both 1.2.1 and 1.3 (no-install versions) and I can't seem to be able to extract (at least) NSIS packages. It appears to detect package type as NSIS, it opens a DOS box and then closes and creates a file called &1 with no extension and length zero in the destination folder.

I'm running Win98SE with some upgrades (USP, KUP and others). What would you advise me to do?

Will keep it in mind. Thanks.

In first post, links appear to be pointing to old 1.2.1 build, although they show as pointing to 1.3. Could you please fix it? Thank you.

Oops. Fixed now, thanks for pointing it out.

The reason it was still downloading v1.3 is because I created symlinks on the server to redirect requests for all older versions to the new version. Looks like that helped out this time. :)

Thanks for this release. Shell integration works ok now.

Excellent. I was going to post and ask you to try again with this version, but I see you didn't waste any time testing it out. Glad it's working for you.

P.S. I would really like it if you could make the taskbar button for Universal Extractor visible, so you could end the program manually, without using taskmanager.

How often do you have to terminate UniExtract.exe manually? If this you need to do this on a regular basis, then there's a bug somewhere that should be fixed. Please share any details you can about this.

I tried both 1.2.1 and 1.3 (no-install versions) and I can't seem to be able to extract (at least) NSIS packages. It appears to detect package type as NSIS, it opens a DOS box and then closes and creates a file called &1 with no extension and length zero in the destination folder.

I'm running Win98SE with some upgrades (USP, KUP and others). What would you advise me to do?

Hmm... few suggestions:

1. Can you send me a link to download that specific NSIS package? I can tell you for sure if it's supported or not.
  2. Can you try extracting the AutoIt installer? This one is definitely supported. Please let me know what happens.
  3. What happens if you try extracting a simply Zip file?

You also mentioned that you're running Windows 98. To be honest, I've never testing this on anything prior to Windows 2000, so I don't know if or how well it works on older 9x-based systems. Has anyone else on the board tried using it under Windows 98? Can you share you experience?

1. The eMule installer, the SlimBrowser installer... They're NSIS installers.

2. The result is the following, along with the &1 file in the source folder this time:capture09152006200227at7.th.png

3. It says "Extracting file from zip archive", opens/closes a DOS box but nothing can be found in the destination folder.

It appears that it calls PEiD 3 times (in this particular case; for other files it only calls it once or twice). After that, the error message box appears. Most likely it's a Win9x issue, as the Dependency Walker log reveals missing functions in some modules (log attached below).

About the 98SE issue. I have experienced that with every archive except type 1 updates (those don't work regardless, as update.exe requires missing dependencies). I'm not sure about ME though. I'll try it this weekend and get back to you.

the_guy

I just released version 1.3. [...]

Enjoy!

Thanks, this is very handy :)

The error log location is 'hard coded' to the root of C:\, but different users will have different preferences and disk layouts. Could you include a means for us to change that location, perhaps to any/all of: the Universal Extractor installation directory; or the starting location for the extraction; or the target location for the extraction; or just anywhere the user prefers?

Thanks

That's bad news. :( Maybe actually building the main exe on a 9x system could fix things. No idea if AutoIt does work on 9x and currently I have no free HDD space to install and test. Could you test it, nitro322, maybe in a virtual machine or something?

I'm having problems extracting latest GOM Player setup; I think this wasn't a problem with version 1.2.1. The program hangs at Extracting files from: 7-Zip Installer package. If I cancel the operation not all files are extracted. :(

Edited by maska