Universal Extractor

nitro322

My request to you - please , add support for InstallShield3 (*.z) , old-NSIS(compressed in BZip2) , MHT-files.

How do I extract MHT files? Do you know of a specific utility for this?

NSIS compressed with bzip2 cannot currently be extracted. 7-Zip does not yet support this, and UniExtract relies entirely on 7-Zip for NSIS support.

I'm still looking into InstallShield3.

You can use TrID for identify file (now more than 1700 filetypes) - http://mark0.net/soft-trid-e.html

PEiD detects many, many more filetypes. Is there any particular reason I should switch to TrID? Does it support something that PEiD doesn't?

Add please , useful option in GUI - "detect filetype" and AviExtract (http://members.lycos.co.uk/yugres/download/avixtr.zip)

The AviExtract link is dead. What exactly does it do?

Also, I think the filetype detection option is a good idea. Probably won't make it into the next version, but I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks.

Edited by nitro322

I always get an error when trying to do it, "This page cannot be save." Don't know what the deal is. I use nLite to rip a hell of a lot of crap out of my system, though, so I could've brokem MHT support in the process. I'd appreciate it if someone could post a link to sample file.

2 MHT files in the attachment. Note that you may be asked for Internet Access to view the files. Most elements are contained in the MHT but some of them not.

BTW, there is another false positive :angry: . Now it's Kaspersky:

UniExtract.exe:

Antivirus Version Update Result

Fortinet 2.77.0.0 08.30.2006 PossibleThreat!05780

Kaspersky 4.0.2.24 08.30.2006 Backdoor.Win32.Agent.agl

Panda 9.0.0.4 08.29.2006 Suspicious file

File size: 223530 bytes

MD5: 59ce357c2d9d4300b130d13ed991e2ab

SHA1: 972b51bbd733339da595ae8d7129391a0613d040

packers: UPX

Edit: Seems that the attachments don't work for zip files (Or I'm doing something wrong). I will post a link to RapidShare.

Link to RapidShare: http://rapidshare.de/files/31273604/MHT.zip.html

Edit 2: I received a reply from Kaspersky saying that it is a false positive and it will be fixed in next update.

Edited by ggf31416

MHT - Internet Explorer can save in this format

I always get an error when trying to do it, "This page cannot be save." Don't know what the deal is. I use nLite to rip a hell of a lot of crap out of my system, though, so I could've brokem MHT support in the process. I'd appreciate it if someone could post a link to sample file.

Thanks.

MHT needs Outlook Express and some pages can't be saved (no matter what you have done, it's the page).

I attached Google's main page saved as MHT and as regular page.

Google_MHT.7z

Yet another multiformat extractor/converter :)))

Arc Convert 0.491.4 ( http://www.paehl.de/home.htm ):

Convert/Create : ZIP , 7-ZIP , CAB , LZH , TAR , TGZ , BZ2 , YZ1 , BGA , NOA32 , HKI , PAQ7 , UHARC , YZ2 , DZ , HA

External : RAR , ACE (Open external.conf and change the path for RAR/ACE)

Convert : ARJ , GZip , Z , BZip2 , YZ1 , GCA , BEL , RPM , DEB , BH , SQX , ZOO , LFB , ZLIB , UCL , IMP , RS

, SPL , APK , ARC , ALZ , UDA , CHM , MSI , Inno

olex_d

extracts files from ole files (microsoft doc, ppt, mst, msi,..)

freeko, where can I download this? A google search for olex_d returns your post as the only hit.

Thanks.

OLE2X extract file streams from an OLE2 file.

In case that there is no useabe stream name, as seen in *.msi

installer files, it generates filenames and tries to guess the

extension like bmp,ico,cab,prg.

Usage is: OLE2X <sourcefile name> <target directory>

changes

-------

‏Supress _0_ at end of filename

‏unpack with subdirectories

‏decode filenames for MSI/MST

‏set date/time for files; set data/time for directories on OS/2

‏tries to extract olenative

here is the link.. sorry for missspelling

http://www-user.tu-cottbus.de/~kannegv/programm/ole2x.arj

Quick update regarding a couple new feature requests.

MHT support

Thanks for the links, freeko. Unfortunately, I couldn't use any of the programs you suggested UniExtract (just wasn't technically possible). However, after I realized that the MHT files are simply plain text files split into encoded parts, I decided to just write my own decoder/extractor. w00t. :)

This seems to work fine with the 4 example MHT files that were provided, but it could definitely use more testing. I'm attaching a standalone version to this post. Please download and test it on some various web pages saves as MHT archives. If you find any bugs, please post your test results here, along with the specific MHT file you were testing against.

I'll fix any issues found, then roll it up into the next version of Universal Extractor.

OLE

I've played around with this and I don't see an issue adding OLE2x to UniExtract, but I'd like some feedback concerning how exactly I should do it. For example, what filetypes can contain OLE files? Whould I add a context-menu entry to ALL possible filetypes, or only the most common ones, such as Microsoft Office documents? Also, what should I do about MSI files, which contain both archived files and OLE files that can be extracted? Are there any other files like MSI that need to be specially addressed?

Any and all feedback is always appreciated. Thanks.

Edit:

Nevermind. I have a 4.88 MB quota, but can apparently only attach 150 KB to any given post. Weird, and annoying.

Anyway, here's a download link for it:

http://www.legroom.net/~jbreland/transfer/extractMHT.rar

Edited by nitro322

I just updated the extractMHT.rar file. It now includes a few fixes to support MHT files generated by Word and Excel.

By the way, this program feels extremely slow to me. I don't know what the deal is. I don't exactly have much prior experience with this kind of stuff, so I don't know if it's supposed to be this slow, or if my program is just terribly inefficient (I'm thinking it's the latter). So, I'd also appreciate some feedback on how this runs on your systems.

Any coders should also feel free to voice suggestions for improvement. :) I included the source code in the RAR file.

Edited by nitro322

thanks fre the MHT extractor..

one of the programs i've linked has the ability to unpack MHT as an html with folder of the same html-name containing the embedded files.. i think this way is preferred.

i shall test the program mean while..

regarding OLE2x the files are either Audio or Images or Movies.. so extracting by genral type is better than the specific type.. or you make a link to windows of types to extract ..

some more links..

PowerpointImageExtractor

http://alainlecomte.free.fr/Download.htm

Multi-purpose file ripper

http://www.baccan.it/index.php?sezione=mripper&email=si

the MHT extractor seems that fails with files created with Opera browser

Thanks, freeko. I just uploaded a new version that should support Opera files as well. You can download it from the same location that I posted earlier.

Does anyone else have feedback?

for the install shield files..

thers is many programs you should look too to add

i3comp

to un/pack files with *.z *.lib files

stix_d

to unpack SFX files of install shiled v3.0

can anyone provide samples for these files?

i5comp

to un/pack files with *.cab

if the setup is seperated into disks ( you should find data1.cab, data2.cab,.. inside folders like Disk1, Disk2,..) you should combine before extract.. so i5comp can do so..

My understanding is that i6comp completely supercedes i5comp, and will read from both data1 and data2. Is this not correct? Can you show me an example that works with i5comp but not i6comp?

i7comp, isunpack,.

it supports v7.0 of install shiled (not v9.0).. i need help on this info guys

I can't find i7comp. You sure it exists? Where can I download it? Ditto for isunpack. I'll also need a sample to test, so I can distinguish between this an other versions.

Thanks.

@nitro: About the Microsoft hotfixes, look below (neither one work).

Thanks, both of those are now supported. As long as other hotfixes of either identify themselves the same way, they should all be supported. If you find anything that still doesn't work after the next version is released, please report it.

Not a problem as such but I tried to UniExtract PhotoStory3.exe

(it came out of an MSI file to belin with) and get this...

C:\__\__\__\PhotoStory3.exe cannot be extracted.

Filetype returned was: Nothing found

Where can I download PhotoStory3.exe? The only thing I've been able to find is the Photo Story 3 installer from Microsoft, which is an MSI file named PStory.msi. It installs a file named PhotoStory3.exe, but that's the application itself, not an installer.

If there's something else you're looking for, please send me a link to download and test it. Otherwise, I have to mark this off the list.

Also, there is a virus scanner that claims to scan within

ASprotect packed executables. It would be a GODSEND

if those could be unpacked!

Many viruses are put in those ASprotect files :( because

they are really hard to crack open. The virus scanner that

claims to scan within them is called "Virus Chaser". It can

also scan within UPX EXE files.

I don't think this will be possible, but as I said previously I'll be happy to look into it. I do need a sample to work with, though. Please post a link to a file that I can download and test.

Thanks.