[Help] - Why Is Reactivation Required?

03GrandAmGT

Like WTF is this CRAP!!! :realmad::realmad: This machine has been activated for over a 1 1/2 years ago and NOTHING hardware has changed. The install came from a GENUINE MS XP Pro OEM distributor. All the PRETTY MS logo's halograms and etc. So anyone got clues. All the latest updates (CRITICAL).

John

Edited by Zxian

First off... chill... No need to get hasty. If the copy of Windows is legal, then you've got nothing to worry about. :)

Have you tried simply reactivating? Do you get any problems when you try? If you can't do it over the internet for whatever reason, call Microsoft and they'll give you the activation code. I've done it several times without any hassle.

Did you change drivers? Maybe a driver upgrade or change may have caused Windows to think that hardware was changed, giving you that message.

Title Edited - Please follow new posting rules from now on.

--Zxian

Edited by Zxian

Absolutely NOTHING has changed. I do not have automatic updates turned on, (Never Have). No new updates for any software installed. No new drivers installed. Checked Hardware to make sure it did not wiggle out from a slot. Ya I know I could just reactivate it, or call MS, but WHY?? I am not trying to sound sarcastic and excuse me if I do. I just am really getting more and more annoyed. Guess the point I am trying to make here is the fact NOTHING has changed and why does it require me to Re-Activate. I really think that's BS in the strongest terms for MS.

John

One question and one suggestion:

Do you get the activation request in Safe Mode?

Try a System Restore to a point before this occurred.

Ya, I tried rebooting in safe mode and got the same thing. Can't do XP System Restore, Don't use it. The less MS stuff I have to deal with the better. Funny thing though, I have rebooted 8 times from a cold start. Out of the 8 times all 7 had the same display regarding having to re-activate. On the 8'th time NO problems booting into my account with the reminder. On the other hand on the 8'th time, the system was extremely sluggish and un-responsive. Scanned for virus, spyware, Defragged, and ran CHKdisk on the drive with no improvement. Tried rebooting warm and came to the logon screen, logged in and system is still sluggish. OK time to break out ghost 2003 and reflash drive. System rebooted, I logged in and the system is still sluggish but not as bad. Checked all my hardware again for proper seating, fans running etc.etc. System temp is fine @ 38C. So I know its not a temp issue. Going thru my log that I keep for Software and Hardware changes on all the computers I again found that NOTHING has changed since the last MS updates. No Bios Changes MOBO, Video Card. No new Hardware. Checked my voltages in the bios screen and they are well within spec. Biggest descripancy on the voltage was on the 12 volt rail showing a 200millivolt differance from true 12. Any Ideas?? This is really bothering me. :crazy::crazy: Oh, and before I forget yes the system does pass the Windows Genuine check.

Thanks

John

I'm guessing that you don't get the activation notice after you restore the image of your drive with Ghost 2003.

If the system is still sluggish, check to see if your hard drive is running in PIO mode. You'll find this information in Device Manager under the IDE channels. If the drive is running under PIO mode, uninstall all the IDE devices and then reboot.

I'm guessing that you don't get the activation notice after you restore the image of your drive with Ghost 2003.

If the system is still sluggish, check to see if your hard drive is running in PIO mode. You'll find this information in Device Manager under the IDE channels. If the drive is running under PIO mode, uninstall all the IDE devices and then reboot.

Nope no re-activation notice now. The system is still real sluggish though. I use DMA on all my boxes, the IDE tranfer on this particular system is set to Ultra DMA Mode 5. This is really getting stupid with the sluggishness. I am starting to wonder if maybe the HD is going south on me??

Here's the Spec's. Ya I know should have posted them earlier. I would put in my sig, but I have 10 different boxes all networked together in my house.

Thanks

John

MOBO. NF7-S Rev2

AMD Athlon 2200

Crucial 512 megs

Video: Abit GeForce MX 440 (Siluro)

Nic: Linksys LNETX100 Rev 5.

Hardrive: Maxtor 40 gig 4K080H4

P.S: Codegen 400watt

Edited by Jdmero

If you've got sluggishness on your system, you should consider using perfmon to see what's going on. MS has a cool little utility called perfwiz you can use to configure all the counters for you:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

Get a few hours of "sluggishness" monitored (preferrably run from another machine), and then take a look at the logs with the perfmon application. Something should stand out (you can send me the file, and I'll look at it if you'd like).

If you've got sluggishness on your system, you should consider using perfmon to see what's going on. MS has a cool little utility called perfwiz you can use to configure all the counters for you:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

Get a few hours of "sluggishness" monitored (preferrably run from another machine), and then take a look at the logs with the perfmon application. Something should stand out (you can send me the file, and I'll look at it if you'd like).

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. :) Think I found the problem. Appears that my HD is starting to go bye bye on me. I ran the Maxblast tools on it today and got quite a few bad blocks and a couple of error messages. It's been a good drive since I bought it a few years back. Hooked up a backup drive I had laying around and the system was back in top performance. Guess I will go and buy a Seagate since they have the 5 year wty. on them. I have 2 of those in the wanna be server, and I actually have to put my ear to the HD to hear it run. Could one of the Moderators remove a post of mine in the W2K forum regarding how to remove the ICW and My folders. I found the notes, Thanks

Again Thanks for the suggestions. You All have a Great and Safe Holiday Season....

John

Edited by Jdmero