Is it possible?

xtremee

Hi all,

I wanna to know How i can protect my programs (i.e. i have some programs on my cd and i don't wanna any one to setup them) so i decide to package them in .msi and make password to this .msi so no one can setup this programs without getting the password.

Also, i wanna to know if it possible to make unattend for the programs that inside them?

Regards,

Xtremee

Requiring the user to input a Serial# or CDkey hasnt worked

for any of the large corporations such as Microsoft or Adobe.

But if you're only trying to protect these installations from your

little brother then this schema is probably ok for you.

Your 2nd question concerning unattended would depend on the

way you setup the installations within the msi.

I have no idea how you 'packaged' them into an msi but usually

a serial number can be entered via the commandline property options.

eg. myprotectedfiles.msi serial=xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx /passive

shark

Edited by Shark007

@Shark007,

1st thanks for ur reply :hello:

I have no idea how you 'packaged' them

I don't package them yet

If u or any one have link for download .msi packager (with password creation ability) PLZ post the Downlaod link

Regards,

Xtremee

If you are familiar with the routine of taking an .msi file and extracting it out to an Administrative Installation Point, then compressing all of that, with say WinRAR, into a self extracting executable file.. well that's the basic idea. WinRAR had great facilities for making installers this way and supports passwords.

• 2 weeks later...

@RogueSpear,

1st thanks for ur reply, :hello:

If you are familiar with the routine of taking an .msi file and extracting it out to an Administrative Installation Point, then compressing all of that, with say WinRAR, into a self extracting executable file.. well that's the basic idea. WinRAR had great facilities for making installers this way and supports passwords.

u get me wrong man.

Wat i wanna is make password to my programs like YAHOO! massenger and...etc by packaging them in .msi file and make password to this file also i make unattend file for my .msi to be able to unattend it in the future

Regards,

Xtremee

@alexander_zh, :hello:

1st thanks for ur reply

I think you have to play around with the customer actions and some kind of VB scripting in the MSI packages

Are u have any link or way which i can get .msi any program make this package

Thanks again

Regards,

Xtremee

btw if you want you can also instead of using runme.cmd compile as exe or .com object (search google for bacht copiler and youl probebly find a free one after looking for it a while...

Maybe I'M confused... but, if you DON'T install the apps as part of the initial "unattended" install, they're not really part of the unattended install, are they? It seems to me that you're making the process way too complex. If the installs will require user interaction, you could either:

a: create your own subfolder in the $OEM directories, and have it copied over during install, then execute the apps post-install (and post-wpi). You could probably archive the entire folder and password protect the archive, so that only an authorized person could access the installs. Whether an install can be unattended or not has nothing to do with how or where it's packaged, only whether the installer can accept, and you know the proper swithches.

b: Create a seperate install disk, just for apps you only want on specific machines. If you read up on wpi, or any of the other post-install helpers, you'll figure out what needs to be copied to the drive for the commands to work. You can probably make the jump from that to running the install-helper app of your choice sperately from the actual Windows install. (I did, and I'm not very bright)

c: You could go freak-wild, and burn a multisession DVD with the Windows installer first, and your "special apps" installers on session 2. You could use an autorun creator, there are several, to create a menu of apps to install, and you could require a pssword to access that menu...