Please Help! How to add drivers to Unattended RIS installation

Hi all!

I have a headache of getting a drivers to be installed on clients throw my RIS installation

I think that I have done every single configuration but still nothing.

It's drive me crazy.

OK!

My RIS server is Windows Server 2003 with SP1 with CD created image on it.

Folders have a following structure

\i386

\$OEM$

\$1

\Drivers

\X200

\Chipset

\Video etc.....

RISTNDRD.sif

[setupData]

OsLoadOptions = "/noguiboot /fastdetect"

SetupSourceDevice = "\Device\LanmanRedirector\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%"

[unattended]

OemPreinstall = Yes

OemPnpDriverPath =

"Drivers\X200\Chipset;Drivers\X200\modem;Drivers\X200\video;Drivers\X200\audio;Drivers\D400\NIC;Drivers\D400\PCMCIA;Drivers\

D400\Video;Drivers\D400\Audio;Drivers\D400\Modem;Drivers\D410\system;Drivers\D410\texas;Drivers\D410\Chipset;Drivers\D410\vi

deo;Drivers\D410\audio"

DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

WaitForReboot = No

AutoActivate = Yes

FileSystem = LeaveAlone

ExtendOEMPartition = 0

TargetPath = \WINDOWS

OemSkipEula = yes

InstallFilesPath = "\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%"

LegacyNIC = 1

[userData]

FullName = "Company name"

OrgName = "Company name"

ComputerName = MyPC

ProductKey="XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX"

[TapiLocation]

CountryCode = 46

Dialing = Tone

AreaCode = 0418

[GuiUnattended]

OemSkipWelcome = 1

OemSkipRegional = 1

TimeZone = 110

AdminPassword = "*"

[Display]

BitsPerPel = 32

XResolution = 1024

YResolution = 768

VRefresh = 60

[RegionalSettings]

Language = 1053

LanguageGroup=1

SystemLocale=1053

UserLocale=1053

UserLocale_DefaultUser = 1053

InputLocale=1053:41D

InputLocale_DefaultUser=1053:41d

[NetServices]

MS_Server=params.MS_PSched

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup = WORKGROUP

[RemoteInstall]

Repartition = Yes

UseWholeDisk = Yes

[GuiRunOnce]

%systemdrive%\install\batch_file.cmd

[OSChooser]

Description ="Microsoft Windows XP Professional CD based"

Help ="Automatically installs Microsoft Windows XP Professional without prompting the user for input."

LaunchFile = "%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%\templates\startrom.com"

ImageType =Flat

Version="5.1 (2600)"

Please help!

BR

The IT Lady

Have all of your drivers been extracted? If you can install devices by pointing them at the correct folder when using device manager, they should install properly during Windows setup. If you point the device at the folder and the driver doesn't install, you've got some work to do. It's the best way to test if you've gotten the drivers extracted properly or not for Windows installation - if it works by manually using the device manager to install the devices by pointing the update wizard at the proper folder, it'll work during Windows setup.

"Drivers\X200\Chipset;Drivers\X200\modem;Drivers\X200\video;Drivers\X200\audio;Drivers\D400\NIC;Drivers\D400\PCMCIA;Drivers\D400\Video;Drivers\D400\Audio;Drivers\D400\Modem;Drivers\D410\system;Drivers\D410\texas;Drivers\D410\Chipset;Drivers\D410\video;Drivers\D410\audio"

Try it without the "". They don't belong there.

So OemPnpDriversPath=drivers\blabla

Furthermore, watch the spelling. It's OemPnpDriversPath, not OemPnpDriverPath

Is the registry being populated by the OEMPnPDriversPath section? Is the driver directory being copied down?

Don't you need a OemFilesPath=\\server_name\distribution_share under the [unattended] section in order to see the OEM section? I know you do with XP.

BTW we use "" in the OEMPnPDriversPath statement and it works fine.

Regards

Hi,

I would move the "Drivers" folder into $OEM$. That will work.

Make sure $OEM$ is at the same level as i386 - not inside it. MS documentation is wrong in this account as it tells you to place $OEM$ inside i386. This is incorrect. $OEM$ should be alongside i386.

Good luck,

Andy

Edited by Fencer128

Make sure $OEM$ is at the same level as i386 - not inside it. MS documentation is wrong in this account as it tells you to place $OEM$ inside i386. This is incorrect. $OEM$ should be alongside i386.

For a CD install this is correct, but for a network install the $oem$ dir should be inside the i386 dir. The OemFilesPath statement should point to the root of the i386 dir in your distribution share. Without this statement, the $oem$ dir and all subdirs will be ignored. The driver dir should in fact be in the \$oem$\$1 dir.

Regards

For a CD install this is correct, but for a network install the $oem$ dir should be inside the i386 dir. The OemFilesPath statement should point to the root of the i386 dir in your distribution share. Without this statement, the $oem$ dir and all subdirs will be ignored. The driver dir should in fact be in the \$oem$\$1 dir.

Regards

Yep - I forgot. $1 it is.

However, for a RIS install the $OEM$ folder should be alongside the i386 folder NOT inside it.

Check out http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Articl...0280/20280.html for verification of this.

For a network (non-RIS) install - whatever that is - then the $OEM$ should be placed within i386, apparently. Never had a chance to try this so don't know if it's correct.

I haven't created any special path entries in any sif file so I don't think I'm doing anything out of the ordinary.

Andy

Edited by Fencer128

Is the registry being populated by the OEMPnPDriversPath section? Is the driver directory being copied down?

Don't you need a OemFilesPath=\\server_name\distribution_share under the [unattended] section in order to see the OEM section? I know you do with XP.

BTW we use "" in the OEMPnPDriversPath statement and it works fine.

Regards

Hi1

What do you mean by " Is the registry being populated by the OEMPnPDriversPath section?"

/The IT Lady