Unable to format with nVidia SATA

Hey everybody. Hope everyone is nearly ready for, and looking forward to christmas?!?!

I have a small problem with a RIS install for a particular motherboard we use here.

I am able to get the onboard LAN to boot to RIS. The menu appears. I select my tailored installation. It then successfully continues the first part of the text mode setup (i.e. I had to copy across a LAN driver for the onboard Marvel Yukon device), it then partitions the hard disk drive automatically, begins to format and then throws up a message informing me that it cannot format and suspects the hard disk drive is faulty.

I have tried this with 3 hard disk drives (all new) and it does this same thing each time.

I have tried adding the NVIDIA IDE/RAID driver but when doing that it doesn’t even try to format.

Anybody had this same problem?

The Mainboard is the Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 (Skt 939) and it is running an NVIDIA nForce 3 chipset.

Thanks in advance.

Systemsmb

• 2 weeks later...

Are you able to or have you tried to perform an install on this computer from CD or DVD? If you were able to do it that way, it should translate over to RIS with little or no modification. You may want to take a peek over in the Device Drivers forum and in the Driver Packs forum as there have been numerous discussion regarding nVidia mass storage drivers and the difficulties people have had with them. I think that folks have it up and running now but it took some work to get it down.

You can install with a CD without any problems.

Ok will have a look as you suggest.

May just scrap these poxy boards. If anyone else ever reads this thread stay away from the GA-K8NSC-939 boards. Have had other problems with these. Really not the most reliable of boards I have ever worked with.

Thanks