Which version of Windows sucks the most?

.PsychoMerc.

Which version of Windows sucks the most?  

730 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of Windows sucks the most?

• Windows ME
    • Windows XP Home Edition
    • Windows XP Professional Edition
    • Windows Longhorn M5
    • Windows 98
    • Windows 98 SE
    • Windows Blackcomb
    • Windows 95
    • DOS 6.22
    • Windows Server 2003

I'm not sure why MS-DOS 6.22 is listed as a version of Windows; may as well add Mac OS and CP/M to the list. Speaking of which I actually prefer MS-DOS 6.21 since it does not have all that disk compression bloatware. :P

Microsoft Bob wasn't a version of Windows either, just a kid's shell for Windows 3.1

Worst version of Windows is definately 1.0, with 2.0 running a close second. You didn't list them or even 3.1 as an option though (curious since you did list DOS) so I guess I can't vote. Oh ok, out of those I'll say ME.

This is funny. I have always told personal friends and relatives that ME is buggiest. I mean, I thought 98SE was bad enough, but then I tried ME.

It was like ---> chair.gif

Now I have a poll as empirical evidence that indeed it is the worst.

I think that this poll has to be taken with a little grain of salt. When people vote for this, I think that they should take into consideration the time period in which the OS was released. For example, when Win95 came out, it was a huge improvement upon the previous version (3.11). While it did have it's fair share of (ok, maybe many) problems, there was no widespread internet access for everyone to download a quick fix for a problem that popped up. Only around the time of Win98SE did Microsoft start using Windows Update to help patch small problems.

I agree completely with the fact that Windows ME was terrible, in any day and age. I remember being able to use a built-in utility to cause a memory leak within ME. After doing this about 10 times, Windows would complain about low memory and recommended that I shut down some programs... even though I had none going. :P

As for those of you who voted XP (except those that misunderstood the poll) I think that you should take a closer look into what is generally needed by people in an OS. If you need high-end graphics development, leave this forum and go buy yourself a Mac. If you need something that can do just about everything decently well, XP is a great OS. While the original release had it's problems, Microsoft has been quite good about rectifying the problem with Windows Update. As for those people who b***h and moan about the fact that there are many security holes and that XP needs so many anti-stuff programs, a computer is just like any machine. It needs to be maintained. Defragging your hard drive and scanning your computer is just like changing your oil in your car. All in all, XP is the working computer equivalent of what car manufacturers are trying to do with the (crappy)crossover cars, everything in one convenient package.

As for that "compression bloatware", some of us actually use that. If I've got a lot of files that I need to backup every now and then, and I've got a relatively small 40GB external drive, the compression comes in quite handy. I've been able to make that 40 gig drive look like a 55 gig drive from time to time.

For those of you who still use the command line in DOS, what is wrong with you? Unix dominates the entire command line world, hands down. I know that the server that runs the local coal port here in Vancouver, Canada has been running Unix 24/7/365 for the past 24 years! No crashes, no downtime, just keeps everything moving along at a good pace. Sure, it's only got to deal with schedules and when ships are coming and going, but it works.

Anyways, ME sucks monkey nuts, XP works great.

I know that the server that runs the local coal port here in Vancouver, Canada has been running Unix 24/7/365 for the past 24 years! No crashes, no downtime, just keeps everything moving along at a good pace.

i would like to see it running doom3 under win ME... (j/k) :lol:

i agree with you on everything ;)