Windows XP SP2 updates and hotfixes

Tomcat76

Actually...

If you have not installed Windows XP SP2, you can install the Critical Update for Windows XP (KB885626), and then install Windows XP SP2.
So you can install it up front. The actual download page doesn't say it's to be used on Windows XP SP2 exclusively either.

I'll add it to the SP2 list too.

SP3 should be released in second half of 2007 (if Microsoft stops delaying it!).

That is, of course, after November 14, 2006.

:blink:

I thought it was to be released this year!

Then I fully understand why Tomcat76's not willing to keep the list up-to-date.

:puke: about those long delays.

@Tomcat:

why is 833989 for SP1 readded? That update is ONLY for Windows 2000/98/ME/NT4 with IE6 SP1 installed. When it's installed on Windows XP SP1, IE uses the OS version of the component (gdiplus.dll).

the_guy

From http://www.microsoft.com/france/technet/se...e/ms04-028.mspx

Composants concernés :

• Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 - Télécharger la mise à jour (KB833989)

But on this page : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=fr you can read :
Systèmes d'exploitation pris en charge : Windows 2000 Service Pack 3; Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows 98; Windows 98 Second Edition; Windows ME; Windows NT

But it's not finished yet. On the same page, about gdiplus.dll you will find :

Toute version antérieure à la 5.1.3102.1355

Vulnérable

Inclut Windows XP, Windows XP Service Pack 1 et la plupart des applications tierces redistribuant ce fichier.

But, this update package doesn't include any gdiplus.dll. Only a file called vgx.dll.

HFNetChk complains if this file is not present and hfnetchk's list is from M$.

Lastly if you try to install this update on XP SP1a, you will get an error saying W2K is required.

:wacko: at least twice!

KB833989 (one of the MS04-028 hotfixes) updates VGX.DLL, and HfNetChk wants this file from MS04-028.

Either HfNetChk is wrong or the info on the Download Center site is wrong. Fact is: I don't have a clue... :)

@Camarade_Tux: If you get errors during install from a source in which KB833989 was slipstreamed I'll remove it from my list ASAP.

EDIT:

If you dissect the relevant Download Center page you'll see that something is wrong there. Snippet:

Affected Software:

Microsoft Windows XP and Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1

Non-Affected Software:

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2

So far so good. But now the "components" section:

Affected Components:

Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1

Non-Affected Components:

Internet Explorer 5.01 Service Pack 3 on Windows 2000 Service Pack 3

Internet Explorer 5.01 Service Pack 4 on Windows 2000 Service Pack 4

Internet Explorer 5.5 Service Pack 2 on Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition

This means that the IE-version of the hotfix also applies to Windows XP SP1. But on the download page of the IE hotfix itself, Windows XP SP1 is *NOT* listed.

If the IE-hotfix doesn't apply to Windows XP SP1, MS should've added this line under the "Non-Affected Components" section:

Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 on Windows XP Service Pack 1

But it isn't there....

Edited by Tomcat76

The bulletin states that XP SP1 needs the XP SP1 file. I personally think this is an HFNetChk error. I noticed in HFNetChk that the .xml file is from the shavlik website, not the microsoft website. Try using HFNetChk with the microsoft .xml file.

If this doesn't fix the issue, I can send Tomcat76 with a link to the 883586 update for Windows 2000 SP4/ XP SP1 and XP SP2.

the_guy

:lol:

Here is a part of vgx.inf : "DisplayName="Rendu VML (Vector Graphics Rendering)""

The question is : does IE6 on XP need an external file to render VML ?

Or rather : does it even supports SVG ?

Wikipedia claims there is no such support (link)

I found no string containing "SVG" in the registry of a full-SP2 computer and no files named gvx, and clicking on a link to a svg file in IE does not let you "open", you can only "save".

But nLite lets you remove VML Rendering which is the same as SVG.

I think I'll asn nuhi which files are concerned.

Which browser? If it's IE, you need at least version 5.5. It should work on version 5.0 too but there might be minor display issues. If you're using IE on Windows XP SP2, make sure Active Scripting is enabled (this is blocked by default).

I don't know the "minimum" browser versions for Opera and Mozilla-based browsers either but everything works as intended in Opera 9 build 8432, Mozilla Seamonkey 1.5 (20060401) and Mozilla Firefox 1.5 (20051111).

I use FF-1503. It's been working before. Only now after the recent updates that it doesn't load properly... at least, in my case... It only loads the page up to.. "Choose your preferred service pack level" and a single check box... nothing follows...

edit: (8:59am) The same with Internet Explorer.. I think it's with the page itself and not on my end because it was showing properly before...

edit: (9:45pm) It's working now. Seems the layout was changed. It looks neat. I think it looks great! :)

Edited by glentium