Windows XP SP2 updates and hotfixes

Tomcat76

• 3 weeks later...

@Tomcat: A couple errors on your dynamic pages.

1) KB929969 is NOT an IE cumulative update. It replaces MS06-055, an update for vgx.dll. This is on all pages.

2) KB929969 is also for IE7. This is just on your XP SP2 and 2003 SP1 pages.

the_guy

• 3 weeks later...

There is 2 version of KB929969.

1. IE7-KB929969-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe - 761KB

2. WindowsXP-KB929969-x86-ENU.exe - 784KB

The one that appear on my critical updates are WindowsXP-KB929969-x86-ENU.exe. I have no idea what IE7-KB929969-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe do..?

HFSlip 1.2.2 will not slipstream either updates, as it will keep appearing when I run Windows Update. MSFN topic says that this update can only be installed after installing IE7 and reboot. Given the circumstances, I am now trying to see if it will install from my cmdlines.txt.

I do not see how this can be solved unless IE 7 is slipstreamed, rather than a integrated install that 1.2.2 is currently doing, which I hope will be available in future iterations of HFSlip.

Still, great work so far as I still prefer HFSlip to nLite.

(1) You are correct that there are two versions. WindowsXP-KB929969-x86-ENU.exe applies ONLY to Internet Explorer 6 SP2. IE7-KB929969-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe is exclusively for Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP.

(2) Yes, you must reboot after installing IE7, then install that update. Since IE7 is being integrated, I'm not quite sure how support is being given. Tomcat76 is currently working on a fix for KB928089, the other IE7 hotfix. I am looking into KB929969 on one of my installations to see if it was properly slipstreamed.

(3) Right now, IE7 is not slipstreamable. There are just too many problems/issues with the package. Even when it's installed from SVCPACK, there are three known caveats. So far, GUIRunOnce seems to be the best way to go. Tomcat76 said he would look into this again when he has more time and/or when Microsoft decides to fix its many shortcomings. :lol: How does nLite take care of it?

Update: KB929969 worked perfectly on my installation.

I have no idea how nLite works in integrating IE7, but I do notice that IE7 no longer appear in my svcpack. I only use nLite for my x64 Windows, so it is not a direct comparison.

HFSlip currently install IE7 from svcpack, and I tried to add KB929969 as a separate entry below IE7 but that does not work. You say that your KB929969 works. Can you give a bit more detail how you install IE7 and KB929969?

Even when it's installed from SVCPACK, there are three known caveats.
There are none, to my knowledge, except that you need a Windows distribution that doesn't rely on activation. I'm installing it from SVCPACK.
(2) Yes, you must reboot after installing IE7, then install that update.
Installing the IE7 updates after IE7 is exactly what I prepared and was about to test, but I was already afraid that problems like this would arise. A lot of the IE7 binaries are copied into a temporary location during installation and they only overwrite the old files upon a reboot. I suppose that's the reason why other sources say you can't install the updates right after IE7.

HFSlip currently install IE7 from svcpack, and I tried to add KB929969 as a separate entry below IE7 but that does not work. You say that your KB929969 works. Can you give a bit more detail how you install IE7 and KB929969?
I included both the IE7 executable and KB929969 in HF, and I'm installing it from GUIRunOnce.
There are none, to my knowledge, except that you need a Windows distribution that doesn't rely on activation. I'm installing it from SVCPACK.
This is odd. My source does not require activation (it's a volume-license), but when I install from SVCPACK, I encounter the three issues you listed on hfslip.org (or at least the one in User Accounts). I've started to install it from GUIRunOnce, and all those problems are gone.
Known issues: Quick Launch only contains a shortcut to IE7, thumbnail view in folders is broken and graphics are missing in the User Accounts dialog.
Edited by Super-Magician

This is odd. My source does not require activation (it's a volume-license), but when I install from SVCPACK, I encounter the three issues you listed on hfslip.org (or at least the one in User Accounts). I've started to install it from GUIRunOnce, and all those problems are gone.
Known issues: Quick Launch only contains a shortcut to IE7, thumbnail view in folders is broken and graphics are missing in the User Accounts dialog.
That is odd, yes. Everything's fine here with an SVCPACK install (IE7SVCPACK=1). I mentioned those three issues when HFSLIP slipstreamed IE7...