Long delays in accessing the ASPI layer?

Petr

Hi,

I have one problem with my fully patched Windows 98 SE system, either with the original ASPI, or with Adaptec ASPI 4.60 or with 4.71.2.

When any application, like Nero, wants to find the CD burner, the system completely freezes for upto several minutes, mouse is dead, clock is not incrementing seconds, nothing. After that delay everything works well but it is very very annoying.

What is my setup:

Intel 815EP chipset with ICH2 IDE controller, connected devices:

Primary, Master: WDC WD600AB-00CDB0

Primary, Slave: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1612

Secondary, Master: PLEXTOR CD-R PX-320A

Secondary, Slave: empty

CMD/Silicon Image PCI-0649 Ultra-DMA/100 IDE Controller:

Tertiary, Master: WDC WD400EB-00CPF0

Tertiary, Slave: empty

Quaternary, Master: WDC WD800JB-00CRA1

Quaternary, Slave: empty

The problem is related to drives connected to the add-on card, without them everything works quickly. Of course, I have the latest driver for it.

Had anybody similar problem? What could I do to improve this terrible behavior of all CD-ROM burning programs?

Petr

I have one problem with my fully patched Windows 98 SE system, either with the original ASPI, or with Adaptec ASPI 4.60 or with 4.71.2.

When any application, like Nero, wants to find the CD burner, the system completely freezes for upto several minutes, mouse is dead, clock is not incrementing seconds, nothing. After that delay everything works well but it is very very annoying.

It should not be a problem of ASPI layers, because Nero has own ASPI layer, and it does not use Adaptec's ASPI.

* Did you install your latest IDE drivers for your mainboard, too?

* Check that your CD-ROM drivers' DMA is enabled.

* Look at your CD writer's manual, what do they recommend about master and slave settings ?

It should not be a problem of ASPI layers, because Nero has own ASPI layer, and it does not use Adaptec's ASPI.

* Did you install your latest IDE drivers for your mainboard, too?

* Check that your CD-ROM drivers' DMA is enabled.

* Look at your CD writer's manual, what do they recommend about master and slave settings ?

Hi Gape, thanks for ideas but everything mentioned above seems to be OK.

Petr

Hi Gape, thanks for ideas but everything mentioned above seems to be OK.

Additional ideas:

* Did you install latest firmware for your CD-writer ?

* Did you try to update Nero's ASPI, too ?

* Did you disable the "AutoRun" setting of the CD-writer ?

Edited by Gape

Additional ideas:

* Did you install latest firmware for your CD-writer ?

* Did you try to update Nero's ASPI, too ?

* Did you disable the "AutoRun" setting of the CD-writer ?

Yes, I have version 1.06, it is the latest.

I have the latest Nero ASPI WNASPI32.DLL 2.0.1.74 (reported by Nero Infotool as working properly), on the link you gave me is old version 2.0.0.11.

Yes, Plextor states: "It is recommended to use the secondary MASTER position to have the best performance."

Petr

Petr, I wonder if it isn't the power of your PSU (you haven't given a full description of your setup: CPU, GPU, amount of RAM).

Btw, it's not the best idea to put together HDD and DVD drive in one channel, because the HDD will have to adjust to the speed of the slower drive. It would be better to set Toshiba DVD as slave with Plextor burner.

Edited by rainyd

Yes, I have version 1.06, it is the latest.

I have the latest Nero ASPI WNASPI32.DLL 2.0.1.74 (reported by Nero Infotool as working properly), on the link you gave me is old version 2.0.0.11.

Yes, Plextor states: "It is recommended to use the secondary MASTER position to have the best performance."

Petr

what version of the Nero program [not the Nero aspi driver] are you using, Petr. I believe the latest releases for Nero 6.6 and Nero 7 contain the latest nero aspi drivers.

I have Nero v6.3.1.25 installed on my WinME computer and it bundled v2.0.1.68 of the wnaspi32.dll file.

speaking of Nero, un-install IAA [intel Application Accelerator] if using Nero 6 or later. IAA conflicts with Nero which caused those "unspecified target drive" errors when I tried to burn a CD or reformat a cd-rw disc. Nero 5.5 didn't have that problem with IAA installed.

Edited by erpdude8