[How-to] - Windows XP Gamer's Edition

Aegis

@Gdogg

If you read the entire thread, you would have known that GE is secure enough to go without a firewall, especially since the packet filtering places a heavy burden upon the processor and increases your ping in games.

Explorer is a bad choice as a shell, locking up frequently and riddled with bugs and security issues. The infamous Run/RunOnce registry key depends on Explorer. Without it, half of the malware you see today wouldn't run after a restart.

And if you want me to get offensive, then maybe I should consider attacking your project ;).

@badsleeper

No need for that. The command prompt contains a "start" command that is equivalent to Run. There is also a little entry in the registry which enables you to alias your commands. For example, say you wanted to run "C:\Program Files\Games\game.exe" and you aliased the command as "game". To run it, just type in "start game" in the command prompt and the game will start. The other advantage to this is that you can also set program priority with the start command.

no firewall, thats taking a large risk.

as RPC is a security risk too, maybe you stoped that service too.

but you dont need to, I bet you've already stoped it from accessing a network in an form.

so whats the memory usage like, in this command prompt style?

have you done, a network scanner, thing your, xpge, to check for open ports?

i think the micrownx project has its benifits in that it is a true winxp install, what you need you dont remove in nlite.

this could also be allite off the point of the project, to be a very small windows install.

i think both of these projects have their benifits, being that microwinx has me building a ton of code for it too now

@Spazmire11

MWX may be able to take advantage of nLite's database, but I believe that my project will offer even more customizability than nLite. Again, can't stress the point enough, but no one will really understand what I mean by this until the project is released :).

I know this isn't my project, but I think all of you need to hitt up wendy's or something.

let aegis, prepare himself, releases are time consuming, plus, its friday the 13th, not a good day to release imho

and, your getting defensive too much, command promt is dos, no matter how u look at it.

Dude... STFU

Please stop trying to stir the guy up, you are decremental to this project and a hinderance.

Yes talk about its features and how things work, but your comments are of personal attack. :}

Well i've said my piece.

lets try and get along :whistle:

look flaming me isn't going to get you anywhere.

and no it wasn't a personal attack, it was being honest.

and no im not decrimental to this project, and if you not like it, go somewhere else.

honestly, both me and aegis, have talked in each others threads, without problems, with each other yet. but you seem to wanna turn things into flame wars.

he even linked to this from my thread, w/o me saying a thing, when he was trying to get microwinX users, with ideas of a 22MB xp.

and look, I am a user in this thread, just like everyone else, asking questions

I get told i got lots to learn about windows, when I know for a fact things my own tests have proved.

now I get told to stfu, and all this other crud.

Just let me ask questions like everyone else does, and I havn't heard Aegis ask me to remove anything i've posted, due, to being decrimental to his project.

Edited by gdogg

@Aegis:

With the start program it would be an easy one to make a little start-manager to edit all those games some may have. With 5 menu options: add, remove, edit, run and exit. Estimated size: 100kb - 500kb.

Maybe even adding a little icon manager in there too which stores the icons for games in an ini file.

Use NTLDR from W2k3, it's a bit faster in managing the memory. It would improve a few fps (up to 5fps, not more).

@gdogg:

MS-DOS = Command.com

XPGE = XP w/cmd.exe as shell.

GreetZZ 3-R4Z0R

If you're referring to the command prompt in NT based machines, that's not DOS... It's a command line interface, very similar to DOS, but it's an entirely different engine.

Where as Windows 9x was based on DOS, in NT based operating systems, it's "DOS" is based on Windows.... There was a kind of reversal of roles....