[How-to] - Windows XP Gamer's Edition

Aegis

@tommyp

It's not, the moderator of the forums may have not thoroughly read through the post before deciding that it did not comply with the rules :P.

@tom_vilsack

No, Mindows wasn't even suppose to go public, but due to popular demands, it did. Truth to be told, Mindows was more of a test to see how far Windows could be slimmed down. What I thought to be the smallest installation possible turned out to be false, as GE is already 20MB, with the entire installation, not just the system32 folder.

Edited by Aegis

I don't mean to rain on parades, but where exactly is the "How To" part of this thread?

It's not, the moderator of the forums may have not thoroughly read through the post before deciding that it did not comply with the rules :P.

No... I did notice... (I know - I've been a bit of a hard-liner lately) ;)

I figured that it would turn from an introduction into an offical "How-to" at some point. I'll leave that to you to decide when that happens though. :)

Keep up the good work.

I don't really think that there would be that many projects going on... The only ones that I can think of would be Mindows, MicrowinX, and this one.

Project and How-to have some potential overlap, so it would probably just muddle things up more than need be to have both.

Aegis sounds like a compelling project, any chance you'd consider trying this on Server 2003 as well for the added memory manager performance and removed dependencies?

BTW I think Windows GE sounds cooler then Windows XP-GE

:)

@hoak

Server 2003 support will of course be added. But it is worth mentioning that Server 2003 doesn't have an enhanced memory manager or fewer dependencies. What it does have is better security, which comes in handy with an OS that you're most likely not going to be able to patch.

And for those of you doing your Christmas shopping, please note the system requirement on the front page. The issue for the week is whether to use a 64-bit OS or not...

Edited by Aegis

Recommended System Requirements:

▪ 2 GB of RAM

Minimum System Requirements:

▪ 1 GB of RAM

Has me thinking...is this going to be some type live cd,with only some being installed to the harddrive?

1 gb min ram...gotta be something im not thinking of.....hummm

I believe that the Gamespy network requires browser support (I'm not 100% sure as I don't use it), but I'm guesing that would be a biggy for playing games online as many games run through the gamespy network.

I would suggest going 64 bit. I'm not using a 64 bit processer (yet), so I don't think that my opinion is biased. Also due to the small requirements of the system (needs to play games and that's about it) driver support should be sufficient (you won't need bluetooth, printer, etc. drivers).

I'm yet to be convinced whether many (well anything except battlefield 2) games require more than 1 Gb of RAM, however I'm sure that some upcomming games will require it. On the othand with Windows slimmed down available RAM may well jump by as much as 200-300Mb and so the 1Gb of RAM may well be effectively 1.2Gb.

On a side note, why is firefox using 180Mb? I have a 780Mb comit charge. That has to be too high for, I'm just browsing the net. Time for a reinstall.

The 2k3 boot loader NTLDR and NTDETECT when used in 2k or xp does have a very good effect on memory usage though

@dirt

i would just replace the NTLDR and NTDETECT in xp using 2k3 right? in order for this method to work?

@hoak

...it is worth mentioning that Server 2003 doesn't have an enhanced memory manager or fewer dependencies. What it does have is better security, which comes in handy with an OS that you're most likely not going to be able to patch.

That's not quite correct; Server 2003 does have enhanced memory management, a kernel that uses less resources over all, and threads better than XP... The kernel's driver interface and HAL are also supposed to have been updated in Server 2003 and offer marginally more robust and better driver performance... The differences running identical service complements to Windows XP and benchmarking real games can be measurable -- small, but measurable...

Server 2003 Web Edition also rolls with less shovelware like Movie Maker etc, making some flaky clean-up completely unnecessary, and an end product that behaves more predictably on varied hardware... This may not be what you mean by dependencies, but try doing a real uninstall of Internet Explorer, which can be managed cleanly on 2003 sans support for Windows Help... But one can decompile any essential help files to HTML, do some tidy work, and reroute system menu Help calls in the registry to the HTML documents...

Δ

Edited by hoak