[Error] - XP SP2 Slow Login

Juzman

Hey guys,

I'm running XP SP2, and when I reboot, the boot screen scrolls once, then i see the lwelcome screen for about 30seconds, then background for about 1minute, then the taskbar, desktop icons appear. Any idea on what could be causing this, or how to find out / resolve?

In Event viewer, theres a lot of DCOM errors saying:

DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service SENS with arguments "" in order to run the server:

{D3938AB0-5B9D-11D1-8DD2-00AA004ABD5E}

Could this be the problem?

Edit: I set the SENS service to manual, shaved a few seconds (2 - 5) off the waiting time. During the Welcome Screen -> Background there is no HDD activity until the last second when it loads the icons / taskbar.

Edit: I disabled the following services, now bootup time (restart -> desktop is about 15seconds), Computer Browser, Server, TCP/IP NetBios Helper

So yeah, could have been those services

Thanks

Title Edited - Please follow new forum rules from now on

-- Martin L

Something similar happens to me when I'm connected to my DSL modem. The service requires PPPoE authentication, and during startup, it tries to renew the network address before actually running the file that connects it to the service.

During this time, there is no hard drive activity.

Never found a way around it.

Edited by Asin

sounds like what i have, but what i did was, on the NIC that is connected to the DSL, i unticked TCP/IP in the network connection properties, this way it doesnt try and get an IP via DHCP... and works straight away