oobeinfo .ini user creation

This unattended process seems to be a very delicate one. A thing that is working at one point stops working the next.

At one point I managed to create a user using this oobeinfo.ini (in the $OEM$\$$\system32\oobe directory).

[UserInfo]
Identity000="Martin"

Now it seems like I've changed something that prevents user creation from happening since I just end up with the Administrator user.

In my winnt.sif I have the following

[GuiUnattended]
EncryptedAdminPassword = No
AdminPassword = "secret"
TimeZone = 255
OEMSkipRegional = 1
OemSkipWelcome = 1
AutoLogon = Yes
AutoLogonCount = 1

I'm using autologin here so the RunOnceEx will kick off and after that is done and the PC reboots I expect to end up on the login screen where there should be a user Martin, but there's just the Administrator.

I thought I had it down pat this time, but noooo :no: Do I have to use the net user command instead? :blink:

Well I don't get it. I have

[unattended]

UnattendMode = DefaultHide (I've also used FullUnattended)

UnattendSwitch = yes

OemPreinstall = Yes

Still no user "Martin" created. And if I look in the Documents and Settings folder it looks weird. These are the folders that show up.

Administrator

Administrator.RAPTOR (the computer's name is RAPTOR)

All Users

All Users.WINDOWS

Default User

Default User.WINDOWS

LocalService

LocalService.NT AUTHORITY

NetworkService

NetworkService.NT AUTHORITY

On my manually installed windows it looks like

All Users

Default User

LocalService

Martin

NetorkService

The oobeinfo.ini file gets copied to C:\WINDOWS\system32\oobe\oobeinfo.ini and the content is

[userInfo]

Identity000="Martin"

[Options] (this line was added by windows)

IntroOnly=1 (this line was added by windows)

This is getting annoying.

When you create only 1 user with Oobeinfo.ini, that user has autologon set and has Admin priviledges. Because you are using Winnt.sif to autologon into the main Administrator account first, you are possibly not even entering the Oobe part of setup, so you get no created accounts.

RunOnceEx runs fine in an Oobeinfo.ini created account so I do not understand the AutoLogon to main Admin account ? Most people will have no need to use AutoLogon to main Admin account. If you need AutoLogon to main Admin account 1st, then I would suggest using a script and using the Net command to setup your users, groups, priviledges, passwords etc. AutoLogon to main Admin account 1st would be a need if you were setting up a corporate network environment or some other heavily involved setup.

Edited by MHz

Well your reply about conflicting Administrator autologin and oobe creation seemed like it could be an explanation, but unfortunatately it's not that.

I removed AutoLogon and my GuiUnattended now looks like

[GuiUnattended]

DetachedProgram="RunFirst.cmd"

EncryptedAdminPassword = No

AdminPassword = "secret"

TimeZone = 255

OEMSkipRegional = 1

OemSkipWelcome = 1

My oobeinfo.ini gets copied to C:\Windows\system32\oobe\oobeinfo.ini, but no user is created and I have to enter the Admin password go get RunOnceEx to start.

• 5 weeks later...
i was too tired to keep trying and trying to make this oobeinfo to create only one account for me and i had the same problem every time: i autologon using the Adminitrator account and "ajua" account never got created.

i double-checked the winnt.sif, the oobeinfo.ini and all the files but nothing seemed wrong. im now tryng the net user method. hoe it works so i can finish my long work in my unattended dvd.

if someone has an answer when creating only one user with oobeinfo please reply. thanks in advance.

oobeinfo sucks big time, if it works on XP defiitely it won't work on 2003 and even on Xp won't work sometimes

• 8 months later...

i was too tired to keep trying and trying to make this oobeinfo to create only one account for me and i had the same problem every time: i autologon using the Adminitrator account and "ajua" account never got created.

i double-checked the winnt.sif, the oobeinfo.ini and all the files but nothing seemed wrong. im now tryng the net user method. hoe it works so i can finish my long work in my unattended dvd.

if someone has an answer when creating only one user with oobeinfo please reply. thanks in advance.

oobeinfo sucks big time, if it works on XP defiitely it won't work on 2003 and even on Xp won't work sometimes

can we specify password for the accounts i specify in [userinfo] section of oobeinfo.ini??

• 12 years later...
On 12/4/2005 at 11:38 PM, suttle said:

Well I don't get it. I have

[unattended]

UnattendMode = DefaultHide (I've also used FullUnattended)

UnattendSwitch = yes

OemPreinstall = Yes

Still no user "Martin" created. And if I look in the Documents and Settings folder it looks weird. These are the folders that show up.

Administrator

Administrator.RAPTOR (the computer's name is RAPTOR)

All Users

All Users.WINDOWS

Default User

Default User.WINDOWS

LocalService

LocalService.NT AUTHORITY

NetworkService

NetworkService.NT AUTHORITY

On my manually installed windows it looks like

All Users

Default User

LocalService

Martin

NetorkService

The oobeinfo.ini file gets copied to C:\WINDOWS\system32\oobe\oobeinfo.ini and the content is

[userInfo]

Identity000="Martin"

[Options] (this line was added by windows)

IntroOnly=1 (this line was added by windows)

This is getting annoying.

Extremely late reply, I know but if i'm insane enough to still be looking for such XP info in this day and age there may be others, for the settings you have there you need to have 

UnattendSwitch = yes changed to no as this switch is what determins if OOBE is launched after install