[Help] - removing microsoft onecare

Rodney

i searched and searched but couldnt find a way to properly remove it. so i just stop and disabled the services, removed registry keys, and then deleted all the files from it i could find. this was a big mistake.

it seems the firewall took over, and now things such as my ftp server no longer work. the standard windows xp sp2 firewall is now greyed out with the screen that has options to turn it on or off.

firewall4eq.th.jpg

the advanced settings seem correct though, the programs i want to bypass the firewall are in the exceptions list but they just dont work.

does anyone have any clue on how i could take control over my system without reinstalling windows?

sorry forgot the tag is [Help] and seems i cant modify the topic title when editing

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>sfc /scannow

Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files.

The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable.

].

i disabled windows file protection from nlite when i did my unattended install disk

Saying that you had nLited your install from the start would probably have helped. Chances are that you've removed something that OneCare depends on, but since most hardcore nLiters don't use OneCare (at least none that I know of), the dependency list hasn't been made yet.

well onecare worked fine, i was never interested in using it permanently though. i just wanted to check it out and i searched and it seems near impossible to remove correctly. i even attempted to reinstall onecare but i got an error when trying to do so.

i searched and searched but couldnt find a way to properly remove it. so i just stop and disabled the services, removed registry keys, and then deleted all the files from it i could find. this was a big mistake.

it seems the firewall took over, and now things such as my ftp server no longer work. the standard windows xp sp2 firewall is now greyed out with the screen that has options to turn it on or off.

firewall4eq.th.jpg

the advanced settings seem correct though, the programs i want to bypass the firewall are in the exceptions list but they just dont work.

does anyone have any clue on how i could take control over my system without reinstalling windows?

sorry forgot the tag is [Help] and seems i cant modify the topic title when editing

cant u just do a system restore?

I tried to resotre my system after a couple failed installs of OneCare and both times the program files remained afterwards.

I don't think most people have dual boot systems but, i found the best way to remove all the files (even protected "access denied" files) is to do it from another partition of windows in safe mode.

OneCare proved to be a huge waste of time, at least for me, until they modify their install/uninstall.

If anyone is having problems removing some files after a failed install, let me know. I'd be glad to help as i just went through it.

Edited by chrisfay