Memory Modules

Aegis

Most memory manufacturers now sell very reliable memory. OCZ is a step higher, so you should be good. Buying modules of higher capacity on one board usually means you have more of a risk of memory errors (just due to manufacturing process and EMF inside of PC). As a rule of thumb, I usually dont buy any modules bigger than 512Mb (although I currently have 4x256Mb)

OCZ memory is good memory. It's likely that the actual chips on the module are from either Micron, Infinion, Samsung or Hynix...all of which make good memory chips.

I'm not so sure the "higher capacity on one board" statement is relevent these days. The amount of memory per chip (not module, but chips on the module) is much higher than it was even just 2 years ago. This is due to process shrinks and advances in manufacturing technologies. I have 4x1GB modules in my PC without any problems at all. Additionally, if this was really an issue people wouldn't load high-capacity, mission critical servers with gobs of RAM. I have 2GB DDR2-400 modules in some of my servers that are physically much smaller than 512MB PC100 modules in old servers I used to have.

I'm not so sure the "higher capacity on one board" statement is relevent these days. The amount of memory per chip (not module, but chips on the module) is much higher than it was even just 2 years ago. This is due to process shrinks and advances in manufacturing technologies. I have 4x1GB modules in my PC without any problems at all. Additionally, if this was really an issue people wouldn't load high-capacity, mission critical servers with gobs of RAM. I have 2GB DDR2-400 modules in some of my servers that are physically much smaller than 512MB PC100 modules in old servers I used to have.

Although it may seem ridiculous, you should see the hacks that memory chip manufaturers are using nowadays in order to accomplish this (especially how they accomplish to keep DRAM data while providing higher data access rates) In the event that you have lots of computers side by side (or other high current devices), you will notice problems due to EMF. Servers usually use ECC with and extra bit for each memory loc in order to track errors that occur, so I wouldnt suggest using non-ECC memory in any large corporate environment. Although you may not notice errors or crashes, large amounts of data being processed rapidly are almost guaranteed to switch a bit here and there. Although anything at home/SOHO shouldnt be a problem.

Yes, there were some serious hacks years ago to get module sizes higher. The most common one was stacking chips on top of each other or using dual rows of chips. I've seen some pretty rough hacks right down to two boards screwed together and connected via a ribbon type cable that ran the entire length of the module...but that module would probably be about 8 or so years old by now. I think I still have pictures of that module somewhere around here...I'll dig 'em up tomorrow.

With regards to EMF, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't matter what size chips/modules you were using if EMF was something to be concerned with. I'd be more concerened with heat than EMF.

Actually I am talking more about the implementation of memory cells in modern DDR-SDRAM. Even with the higher capacity they get, they still have the same amount of time to refresh their content (on rising and falling clock edge). This is not a problem if we have a regulated power supply, but any minor deviations from the norm usually does not produce good results (i.e EMF). The chance of an error increases as these memory cells must be refreshed faster and faster when capacity is increased. Heat could pose a problem, but we are talking about extremes (usually around 0 to 70 C), which is not a problem so far.

tell me how much ur willing to pay for ram and ill tell u what to get

http://mushkin.com/doc/products/memory_detail.asp?ID=273

this is the best 2x1 out

That's a pretty daring statement. I've yet to see anyone hit above 265 HTT with those sticks, whereas the Crucial Ballastix and OCZ Gold series have hit as high as 325 HTT. For $300, the Crucial would have been a much better pick.

But from the reviews, I'm not sure it's a good overclocker...I've checked out a review by AMDZone about the product, but they only had the 1GB version, which obviously would overclock better. If anyone knows if it is or not, I would appreciate your information.

But from the reviews, I'm not sure it's a good overclocker...I've checked out a review by AMDZone about the product, but they only had the 1GB version, which obviously would overclock better. If anyone knows if it is or not, I would appreciate your information.

The platinum series from OCZ is really for those who don't overclock and want high memory bandwidths and reliability, hence the low timings and voltage. Granted I have seen them overclocked, and they seem to top out at 240 FSB.