[Help] | Problems slipstreaming SP2

Pure Krome

Hi Folks,

I've got a tablet pc with my Original OS CD's -> yes, TWO cd's :(

Anyways, i've copied both contents from the CD's to a single folder. the second cd has a CMPNENTS folder. in that it has TABLETPC, NETFX and MEDIACTR subfolders.

i then slipstream sp2. all good.

i then install the cd (burn to bootable cd, etc) and it installs fine ... BUT there's no tablet pc stuff (eg. virtual keyboard, etc).

After doing lots of searching i found on the MS TechNet a post about a special product key that is required. If u have this TABLETPC product key then the install auto installs the tablet stuff from some tabletpc.cab file.... hmm. ok.. so i check the ORIGINAL cd winnt.sif and VIOLA! there's my product key in there. so i copy that key over to my own slipstreamed cd and .... ru-roh. i get ASKED for my product key. ok - so i'll manually type it in. WRONG! what?! WRONG. it rejects it.

is it possible that my product key only works with my original xp sp1 tablet pc OS cd's and not with a slipstreamed sp2 version?

if so, is there any way i can replace my OS cd's with some new ones with sp2 slipstreamed?

it's very frustrating :( i have the originals and still i can't get it right.

i'm very confussed.

If you got the CD's with your computer (OEM), you should contact the vendor with this issue. It's likely that your keys will not work with SP2 (there was a PID range, xxx-640-xxxxxxx, that were "blacklisted" when SP2 came out, and your product key may be generating a PID in that range).

hmm. i'm not sure what a PID is, but my CD is labeled 'WINXPSP1A_US' and this is the winnt.sif

how can i find out what my PID is? i know my product key .. (as listed below)...

; Microsoft Windows XP Tablet Edition Setup Answer File

;

[userData]

ProductKey="MH24V-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX"

[Data]

MSDosInitiated=0

UnattendedInstall=Yes

i can provide more of my product key (but not too much, i don't want to give it away) to prove i have a legit copy of my tablet pc.

it's really weird :( The documentation all suggests that my product key has to be of a particular type so the installation then installs the tablet.cab files.

:(

Edited by Pure Krome

you realy should try contacting your OEM vendor,

a PID is just the hash with wich MS checks wheter your product key is legit,

so if the hash (probebly something in a way simular like MD5), of your prductkey, gets in the range of producct keys know to be iligaly used,

you should contact your vendor for a new key.

SP2 should slipstream fine onto a disc, whether the key is pirated or not. However, if it is an OEM Windows CD with custom oembios.bin file (and possibly a few others, too), you may run into an issue where the SP2 setup routine is unable to replace these files, and fails. This is likely the error you're seeing, and you'll have to contact your OEM to get updated Windows installation CD's with SP2 on them. It is worth noting that slipstreaming SP's onto PC manufacturer-specific OEM CD's isn't supported - it's only supported on generic OEM and VLK CD's (although it does work on MSDN CD's too).

Edited by cluberti