ProgramFilesDir in X64 disappeared?

odyssey5

Did "ProgramFilesDir" option in unattended setups (winnt.sif) just disappear in X64 ??

I did several trial'n'error always ending up in some error, only when this line is applied in winnt.sif. I understand the concept was changed in X64, since they now want to seperate 64bit and 32bit applications in independent directories - But I guess M$ was in such a rush to pull X64, they didn't think about this option. A look in ref.chm (\support\deploy.cab) showed none results.

I hope somebody has a solution to this problem.

N.B. I could of course just rename the entrys in reg afterward install, but my experience is that this could easily lead to problems!

It's like this for x64

ProgramFilesDir="d:\Programs"
ProgramFilesDir (x86)="d:\Programs (x86)"

I saw the thread just like you, but only somebody *guesses* it would be like that, nobody has confirmed it, and frankly - when I receive an error using "ProgramFilesDir", I don't think it will work just if I add another line to the winnt.sif!

Yea it should actually. X64 has two different program files dirs so you HAVE to specify both.

Well, I gave it a try and guess what: Error in line 20 in winnt.sif!! Line states:

ProgramFilesDir (x86)= "G:\Program Files (x86)"

Nobody still got this working or got a solution?

Place the following in the [unattended] section of your winnt.sif file:

ProgramFilesDir = "G:\Program Files"
CommonProgramFilesDir = "G:\Program Files\Common Files"
ProgramFilesDir(x86) = "G:\Program Files(x86)"
CommonProgramFilesDir(x86) = "G:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files"

Works great on my x64 CD's. I think yours fails to work due to the space you had between the "ProgramFilesDir" and "(x86)" portions of text - note that the above lines don't have any spaces in the vairables.

Edited by cluberti

• 1 year later...

ProgramFilesDir = "G:\Program Files"
CommonProgramFilesDir = "G:\Program Files\Common Files"
ProgramFilesDir(x86) = "G:\Program Files(x86)"
CommonProgramFilesDir(x86) = "G:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files"

didnt worked for me so far.

i have tried with an w2k3 r2 x64 and im still testing ... :(

any other tried the above hint?

well it worked, kind of...

first i tried to manage having both, x86 and x64, in one folders subfolder like c:\programs\progsx86 and c:\programs\progsx64

this doesnt worked :( by putting them to something like c:\programsx86 and c:\programsx64 it worked! the folders were created at the setup and a bloody c:\program files (x86)\ folder too :(

however it was empty and i decided to move it to the trash bin. lets see what happens next...

• 6 months later...

Just FYI, I'm having the same problem when trying using nLite v1.4 beta on a WinXP x64 SP2 installation.

Actually I would rename both progfile paths because of a localized version (italian) I should MUI-patch afterwards.

Unfortunately, nLite only has one "Program files" variable, and even changed to what I would as baseline, it doesn't work.

Always got "C:\Program Files" and "C:\Program Files (x86)"... :(

I guess I should modify - the way you stated above - the WINNT.SIF later, after the nLite ISO image creation.

I'm trying to do so, but only would notify the nLite bug.

Thank you for the hint

Valerio.

Edited by Val3r10

• 4 weeks later...
Unfortunately, nLite only has one "Program files" variable, and even changed to what I would as baseline, it doesn't work.

Always got "C:\Program Files" and "C:\Program Files (x86)"... :(

I had the same problem when I was trying XP64 a while ago.

I mentioned it to Nuhi and asked if NLite could have an additional box for specifying x86 path separately. Nuhi said that it was not a bad idea, but that I was the very first person to suggest this.

I made the suggestion to him back in December last year, so I guess not many people requested that particular feature if he has still not added it 10 months later.