Weird Google issue that I am pretty sure isn't spyware....

PhillyGeek

Ok first off before someone tells me to run hijack this, spybot, etc, been there done that, and not a single thing shows up in hijack this that I do not know exactly what it is and when I put it there, and nothing but a few tracking cookies came up in any of the 3 spyware things I ran. I have manually checked the host files as well as done a rootkit scan, and nothing new showed up.

Here is the issue, after installing some software yesterday (which I have since removed and cleaned the registry with several programs and manually) I have been unable to get search results. When I click "search" nothing happens. If I do it in IE vs Firefox I get a "page cannot be loaded" error. I can search groups/new/froogle without any issues at all. But the search results for web or images will not load. I can hit the "feeling lucky button" and a relavent page loads without trouble. My personalized homepage loads no trouble. I can access google perfectly fine elsewhere in the office, and my home machine. I have watched what the firewall is denying and nothing shows up....

Has anyone come across this before? Or maybe knows why or how "web" and "images" are different from the other google topics in their searching and relaying information. This will greatly help me find the issue. I look forward to anything you might suggest or know!!

Ok first off before someone tells me to run hijack this, spybot, etc, been there done that, and not a single thing shows up in hijack this that I do not know exactly what it is and when I put it there,
Updates... if I boot into safe mode it works perfectly fine.....

well, that kind of says it all. can you post your hijack log?

Actually that was my first thought as well, unfortuantly I had to do a restore from a backup to get it to work. As a network admin you can't do you job without google... I dare you to try:-)

I did figure out that several of the network monitoring software options I was playing with, not only added their own little services etc to my newtork adapter, but also modified my tcp/ip stack. When I rebuilt there there were alot of things changed. I am pretty confident that intentionally or unintentionally that is what caused my issue. They were all from download.com, which I usually veiw as "relatively" safe. But since it worked before the installs, and not after I can only blame one of them. Now I need to solve the uber big boss with a virus issue.... and that has nothing to do with technical skill but trying to let him save face....