WinPE2005 and RIS / RAM boot?

Br4tt3

Hi pepz.

I have been in this forum and seen numerous entries on PXE booting WinPE 2005 (built from Win2003 SP1) into RAM from that RIS box. However, none of them seems to do the trick for me so my question is:

1. Is there anyone that has a nice guide on how to place a winpe.iso on the RIS box?

2. What entries that are relevant to the .iso boot in regards to the .sif file?

I know that this would be somewhat of the "over and over" subject.. but what do u do when things dont work out for ya? I guess lots of folks would like to know how this works..

The functionality works great running it from a CD / DVD, but not RIS.. when reading the MS documentation on how to place WinPE on RIS isnt exactly clear, as there seems to be several ways to do it according to diffrent webbies.

Soz for bringing this 1 up again...

Best Regards

ThaSausageEater..

k...

been trying like 20 times.. never got it right! the 21 first time.. working!

as for the request to have a guide for this, all I can say is that: READ the documentation! not just think u have read it... :realmad:

its all in the winpe.chm file: (stupid me) seems to have dyslexia & alzheimers light edition.

cu later, of to the testing...

Sorry I haven't seen your request for help.

I have had it operational for 6 months and you could have gotten the instructions in swedish :)

thx mats. dunno if the swedish doc would have solved my alzheimers though.. :)

• 3 weeks later...

1. Create a custom Windows PE 2005 built from Windows Server 2003 SP1 media.

2. Create the following folder structure on the RIS Server \RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Images\OSD_Install_CD\i386\templates

3. Copy the OSD iso image (named zti_install_cd.iso in this example) to the \RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Images\OSD_Install_CD\i386\ folder

4. Copy ntdetect.com, startrom.com and setupldr.exe to \RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Images\OSD_Install_CD\i386\templates

5. Rename setupldr.exe to Ntldr

6. Create a text file named Winnt.sif in the \RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Images\OSD_Install_CD\i386\templates folder with the following text

[setupData]

BootDevice = "ramdisk(0)"

BootPath = "\i386\System32\"

OsLoadOptions = "/noguiboot /fastdetect /minint /rdexportascd /rdpath=%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%\zti_install_cd.iso"

Architecture = "i386"

[RemoteInstall]

Repartition = No

[OSChooser]

Description = "OSD Installation CD"

Help = "OSD Installation CD"

LaunchFile = "%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%\templates\startrom.com"

ImageType = WinPE

Version = "5.2 (0)"

Note: Don't forget to Configure RIS (Using GPO) to display the tools menu since wy changed the ImageType to WinPE.