I like my good ol' Notepad :)

wiSHmaKeR

Guest bigbadsteve

I just tried the 98SE patch [NotepadPatch (98seNp_111205).exe], and found it is faulty.

It patched my Notepad.exe alrighty, and the patched file had modified shortcut keys as advised, but it would not open Wordpad for files > 64 kb as claimed (displaying an error message to the effect). Maybe some other Micro$oft file has been altered in recent Windows Updates which stuffs it up.

Anyways I did apply the Notepad patch wiSHmaKeR linked to for 'Wordpad for files > 64 kb' which is not currently downloadable from the given link but is from a mirror here:

http://mirror.href.com/thestarman/hack/notepad.htm

This patch worked nicely.

I haven't tried the 'menu shortcuts' patch since I don't want that hack enough to spend time learning it, but I assume it would work since it worked in wiSHmaKeR's patched Notepad.exe.

Anyways thanks heaps, wiSHmaKeR, if you're reading this - 1 less MS annoyance :)

BTW I'm running 98SE fully patched with all MS updates except the recent buggy KB918547. My OS is too tweaked for me to risk installing the Unofficial Service Pack, but I discovered this chatboard coz Mr Google revealed it to be the *only* site that has solutions for MS's more esoteric Win98 stuffups. So keep up the good work pls peoples! :D

bigbadsteve

Melbourne, Australia

I just tried the 98SE patch [NotepadPatch (98seNp_111205).exe], and found it is faulty.

It patched my Notepad.exe alrighty, and the patched file had modified shortcut keys as advised, but it would not open Wordpad for files > 64 kb as claimed (displaying an error message to the effect). Maybe some other Micro$oft file has been altered in recent Windows Updates which stuffs it up.

Anyways I did apply the Notepad patch wiSHmaKeR linked to for 'Wordpad for files > 64 kb' which is not currently downloadable from the given link but is from a mirror here:

http://mirror.href.com/thestarman/hack/notepad.htm

This patch worked nicely.

I haven't tried the 'menu shortcuts' patch since I don't want that hack enough to spend time learning it, but I assume it would work since it worked in wiSHmaKeR's patched Notepad.exe.

Anyways thanks heaps, wiSHmaKeR, if you're reading this - 1 less MS annoyance :)

bigbadsteve, the Notepad patch wiSHmaKeR made is supposed to make files 64Kb or bigger open in Metapad, NOT Wordpad. If Metapad.exe is not installed in the \WINDOWS\ folder, then you will have that error message.

I have the "fixed" Notepad.exe file version 4.10.1999 that will automatically launch Wordpad when trying to open files > 64kb in Notepad. email me or send me a PM [personal message] if you need the modified Notepad.exe file for Win98.

no bigbadsteve! no other MS update messed up the modified Notepad.exe file. wiSHmaKeR's Notepad patches modify Notepad.exe in Win95/98/ME to open files bigger than 64Kb to open in Metapad.exe, not Wordpad. wiSHmaKeR made them that way. plus wiSHmaKeR's Win95 Notepad patches do NOT even work under clean installs of Win95 unless certain Win95 DLL files are replaced by Win98 versions in order for the Win95 Notepad patches to work.

I have the "fixed" Notepad.exe file version 4.10.1999 that will automatically launch Wordpad when trying to open files > 64kb in Notepad. email me or send me a PM [personal message] if you need the modified Notepad.exe file for Win98.

EVEN BETTER! I've created unofficial Notepad patches for Win95, 98 & ME that will update the Notepad application and will properly and automatically open files 64kb and bigger in Wordpad and not Metapad. All of them will update Notepad by one build number (ex. my Win95 Notepad patch will update Notepad to v4.00.951, the Win98 Notepad patch will update it to v4.10.1999 and the WinME Notepad patch will update it to v4.90.3001).

If anybody wants my unofficial Notepad fixes, let me know.

BTW - Metapad can be found here:

http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/

Guest bigbadsteve
bigbadsteve, the Notepad patch wiSHmaKeR made is supposed to make files 64Kb or bigger open in Metapad, NOT Wordpad. If Metapad.exe is not installed in the \WINDOWS\ folder, then you will have that error message.

Oops! :unsure: My mistake, people.

For the record, that leaves 2 minor bugs (which will probably be of too small import for anyone to fix):

(1) If Notepad.exe is unpatchable by the patcher [mine had been patched with a different patch], the patcher asks again for the Notepad.exe pathname, but does not close the open Notepad.exe - so that u can't replace Notepad.exe at that pathname manually straight away (so the patcher can patch it), but must first close the patcher, then replace Notepad.exe with the patchable (original Windows) version, then run the patcher again.

[All the 'patches' and 'patchers' above make this sound like some geek nursery rhyme; hopefully u get my drift <lol>.]

(2) The patched Notepad.exe displays an error message for over 64Kb files if Metapad is not present, but the message is 'There was a failure in launching Wordpad.' This of course should be 'Metapad'.

bigbadsteve

Not patching the patch that Jack patched.

For the record, that leaves 2 minor bugs (which will probably be of too small import for anyone to fix):

(1) If Notepad.exe is unpatchable by the patcher [mine had been patched with a different patch], the patcher asks again for the Notepad.exe pathname, but does not close the open Notepad.exe - so that u can't replace Notepad.exe at that pathname manually straight away (so the patcher can patch it), but must first close the patcher, then replace Notepad.exe with the patchable (original Windows) version, then run the patcher again.

[All the 'patches' and 'patchers' above make this sound like some geek nursery rhyme; hopefully u get my drift <lol>.]

(2) The patched Notepad.exe displays an error message for over 64Kb files if Metapad is not present, but the message is 'There was a failure in launching Wordpad.' This of course should be 'Metapad'.

bigbadsteve

Not patching the patch that Jack patched.

Both of those problems have been fixed by my Notepad patches. I will send them to MDGx so that he may post them up on his web site. All of them should update Notepad whether it is running or not. If the older Notepad program is open and you have ran the update, you have to restart the computer in order for Windows to replace the older Notepad app that is running with the newer version. The updated Notepad files included in my Notepad patches should automatically launch Wordpad (not Metapad) when you try to open a file that is 64kb or higher in size in Notepad. These patches I've made are created from IExpress, not the one that wiSHmaKeR used. the patcher wiSHmaKeR used is incompatible with Win95 which was why his Win95 Notepad patches did not work at all.

and speaking of Notepad, take a look at this problem for the Win2000/XP editions of Notepad in this article:

http://bink.nu/Article7429.bink

good news is the Win95/98/ME editions of Notepad do not have that problem.

Edited by erpdude8

• 11 months later...

My vote is still for METAPAD. Unlimited capacity and all sorts of options for technies. But what I like most about it is that typing in an url or a mailto automatically makes it into a usable hyperlink!

btw, where is wiSHmaKeR?

Edited by plonkeroo

• 4 months later...

Is there any way to hack the standard notepad in Win98SE so it can open txt files larger than 64kb?

The WinXP notepad can open larger text files... could it be possible to use/modify it for Win98SE?

I don't want other features, rich text editing, syntax highlighting... just plain old boring Notepad to open larger files.

Edited by galahs

Is there any way to hack the standard notepad in Win98SE so it can open txt files larger than 64kb?

The WinXP notepad can open larger text files... could it be possible to use/modify it for Win98SE?

I don't want other features, rich text editing, syntax highlighting... just plain old boring Notepad to open larger files.

Maybe it's thegun you want as a notepad replacement then : http://www.movsd.com/thegun.htm

I'm loving it :thumbup

I completely replaced Notepad with it, and it is performing spectacularly!

It can open all the large html files I often have to edit and it has drag and drop!!!

Why O why didn't I find this earlier!

eidenk I owe you a beer! (or coke if you don't drink beer!)