I like my good ol' Notepad :)

wiSHmaKeR

The patch wiSHmaKeR made also worked with the Win98 FE version of Notepad.exe. heck, both Win98 1st and 2nd editions contain version 4.10.1998 of Notepad.exe. so the patch works for all versions of Win98.

thanks miko for the link to the metapad program.

whoops. spoke too soon! I take it back. wiSHmaKeR's Notepad patch does NOT work under win98 1st edition as I have tested it on a 98fe computer. it only worked under 98se and not 98fe. :no: pathetic!!

I'd better ask MDGx to make an unofficial Win98 Notepad.exe v4.10.1999 patch.

Edited by erpdude8

OK, guys! Now we've got two more patches - one for Windows 98 First Edition and one for Windows ME. And of course the two of them open > 64 Kb files with metapad.exe. See the updated post on the first page. Please test the patches and report any incompabilities ;)

Edited by wiSHmaKeR

• 2 weeks later...
Need a Windows 95 patch?...

http://www.geocities.com/thewmk/

not really. I checked and tested the win95, 98 & ME versions of the original, unmodified Notepad.exe files.

Note that only the Win98 and WinME versions of Notepad had a feature of changing the Font; the Win95 versions of Notepad did NOT have this feature.

so adding the Font command in Win95 notepad wont do anything. it'll be useless to add the Font command in the 95 versions of notepad.

that's because the Win98/ME versions of Notepad have the "ChooseFontA" function (the Win95 versions of notepad does not have "ChooseFontA" function; view Notepad.exe with the Quick View tool and you'll see whether or not ChooseFontA is listed. one would need a VB [visual basic] editor to add that function onto the 95 versions of notepad.

so if the 95 & 95 sr2 patches for notepad add the Font command, they will need to be revised to exclude the Font command as clicking on the Font command will do nothing as I've tested the modified 95 notepad.exe files for myself.

Edited by erpdude8

• 2 weeks later...

The 95NP_181205.exe & 95osrNP_181205.exe notepad patches for all versions of Win95 did NOT work at all, wiSHmaKeR. Double-clicking on them did absolutely nothing. Looks like the Win95 patches DO need to be revised immediately.

Edited by erpdude8

I have found out that the notepad patches were created from Lucersoft patcher AND looking at the Lucersoft web site, Lucersoft patcher requires Win98, 2000, ME or XP. Lucersoft's patcher does NOT work under Win95 & NT4.

so, wiSHmaKeR, you will have to use something else to patch the notepad files under Win95.

I have also found out why the notepad patches for Win95 original & Win95 osr2 do not work and how to solve this problem.

All versions of Win95 use comdlg32.dll version 4.00.950 or 4.00.951. Lucersoft patchers dont work at all with those versions of the comdlg32.dll file. Win95 users will need to replace the COMDLG32.DLL file with either version 4.72.3110.2 (from Win98 gold) or version 4.72.3510.2300 (from Win98 SE) to make the Win95 notepad patches work as I've tested for myself. The comdlg32.dll file must be overwritten in DOS mode outside Win95 because the comdlg32.dll file is always in use.

search for COMDLG32.DLL version 4.72 at some search sites, download & save the file, exit Win95 into msdos mode and move the newer comdlg32.dll file into the Windows\system folder. then reload Win95 and run the Win95 notepad patches again.

Edited by erpdude8

I have also found out why the notepad patches for Win95 original & Win95 osr2 do not work and how to solve this problem.

All versions of Win95 use comdlg32.dll version 4.00.950 or 4.00.951. Lucersoft patchers dont work at all with those versions of the comdlg32.dll file. Win95 users will need to replace the COMDLG32.DLL file with either version 4.72.3110.2 (from Win98 gold) or version 4.72.3510.2300 (from Win98 SE) to make the Win95 notepad patches work as I've tested for myself. The comdlg32.dll file must be overwritten in DOS mode outside Win95 because the comdlg32.dll file is always in use.

search for COMDLG32.DLL version 4.72 at some search sites, download & save the file, exit Win95 into msdos mode and move the newer comdlg32.dll file into the Windows\system folder. then reload Win95 and run the Win95 notepad patches again.

I have done even more further testing of the win95 patches and they BOTH need version 4.72 of both the comdlg32.dll AND shell32.dll file. To install v4.72 of shell32.dll file, install IE 4.01 SP1 or higher and install the IE Desktop Update for Win95. The win95 notepad patches will still NOT work when using 4.72 of comdlg32.dll file but using v4.00 of shell32.dll file. Update the shell32.dll file first, then replace the comdlg32.dll file on Win95.

so far, wiSHmaKeR has not responded to my latest posts about needing v4.72 of the comdlg32.dll and shell32.dll files under win95 to make the win95 notepad patches work. I will try to contact him personally.

Edited by erpdude8

I've conducted even more further testing with the 95NP_181205.exe & 95osrNP_181205.exe notepad patches

for all versions of Win95. BOTH of them requiring version 4.72.xxxx of the comdlg32.dll and shell32.dll files from Win98 in order for them to really work. Tested each one on a Win95 original and Win95 OSR2 systems.

95osrNP_181205.exe worked as expected in patching original Notepad.exe file dated 8/24/1996 in Win95 OSR2.

95NP_181205.exe did NOT work at all even though original Notepad.exe file dated 7/11/1995 in Win95 original/osr1 was installed AND was using v4.72 of comdlg32.dll file and v4.72 of shell32.dll file after installing IE4.01 SP1 w/ IE Desktop Update. Kept on saying "Sorry this file cannot be patched!" message. Looks like 95NP_181205.exe will need to be re-worked to patch the original Notepad file under Win95 original.

Edited by erpdude8

• 2 weeks later...

your welcome, timeless

I have sent an email to wiSHmaKeR several days ago and have not gotten a response from him. maybe not yet. I'll try sending him a personal IM.

Edited by erpdude8

• 3 weeks later...
your welcome, timeless

I have sent an email to wiSHmaKeR several days ago and have not gotten a response from him. maybe not yet. I'll try sending him a personal IM.

three weeks and counting and still no response. has wiSHmaKeR disappeared off the face of the earth? heh, it's a figure of speech.