SMS 2003

Darren68

Hello guys...im hoping someone can help me with a problem.

I have to use sms2003 to deploy WinXP to a load of pc's and laptops. I can deploy with no problems and it does a syspre etc and adds machine to the domain. This i've tested.

I now need to test the following.

I have to copy all the users of there machine to a network location

Install OS

Copy all the users data back to there machine.

All this has to be done automatically. I've had a look at usmt but cant get my head round where/how i do this as part of windows PE installation.

Any help guys would be great.

Thanks

Darren

Hi

U should really have a look @ the BDD (Business Desktop Deployment) concept from Microsoft. Within this concept there is a way of installing XP and migrating user data using SMS / USMT called ZTI (Zero Touch Installation).

USMT migration of user data is not be run during the WinPE phase (according to me) but during

Win32 full mode as USMT often migrates user data based on who is logged on as the script is running (HKCU). USMT (2.6) reads %UserName% and other variables that is not present within the WinPE environment.

When u create a SMS OSD package to distribute, u can assign certain properties (called programs within SMS, on those propeties, u can specify to assign USMT to be run prior to the actual installation of the OSD package, and also post to the installation. That would be:

1. SMS detects to install the XP package onto the machine

2. Prior to actual installation, USMT is run and migrates the data

3. XP is installed through SMS OSD

4. Post to the installation, the package will migrate back the data to the client

5. U r all happy and get a increased christmas bonus.. ;)

Anyway, more to read within the BDD documentation which is free of charge from M$. U could pick the pieces that suits u and leave the rest...

Best Regards

ThaSausageEater...

• 2 weeks later...