Win 2k3

Hav u got an old win98/me cd? If so, boot from that. A menu will appear asking you if you want to start setup from the cdrom, start with cdrom support, or start without cdrom support. Select start with cdrom support. You will come to the command prompt. From the command promt, type fdisk#/mbr (# = space). This will replace ur master boot record with a backup, you need to do this as it looks like u have installed the win2k3 bootloader from the cd some how (if so this will display with windows setup blue screen that you have described). Once you have done this, boot from the win2k3 cd. You will come to the partition selection/creation screen. Delete the system partition, recreate it and it will ask you what filesystem you want to format the partition in. Format it using ntfs. Once that is done it will copy the install files to your pc and you will be promted to restart. Boot from your hard drive, dont press any key to boot from cd. The os selection screen will appear and select windows 2003 from the menu. Setup should successfully start. If you have trouble doing anything i have mentioned, ask ur dad if he works 4 M$.

• 1 month later...

Hey dude, It sounds like a memory problem. Depending on the manufacturar of your mobo, some boards will not boot if there is a memory problem, others load but then freeze. it sounds wierd but I would first try to instal another operating system, if the same thing happens try to open the case and swith out the memory, I have had that problem before and after i troubleshooted a little it turned out to be the memory.

Since you have Partition Magic/Boot Magic, let it do the work for you.

This worked for me:

Installation of Win2k3 went like this:

1. Copy Win98SE to new partition, used Partition Magic to do this.

2. Added bootable partition to BootMagic boot list, boot to new partition.

3. Upgrade Win98SE to Win2k-Server

4. Upgrade Win2k-Server to Win2k3-Enterprise

Since I already had MSOffice installed on Win98, it did not have to be reinstalled. Same for most of the other Apps.

Have you checked to see if there is a problem with the cd itself, because i have a version but the boot sector on the cd is damaged, so i think that this would definitly cause a problem, check it and get back to me, i think i may be able to help if the disk is damaged....

Sunil :)

• 3 weeks later...
:rolleyes: under the hood of w2k3 is xp home edition...not a good idea to try to install both...if you want to dual boot, install xp pro in one partition followed by w2k3 in another partition...the w2k3 ntdetect will boot xp...it's even larger than xp's version of ntdetect... :)