Broswer?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. What Broswer Do You Prefer

• Internet Explorer
    • Mozilla Firefox
    • Opera
    • Ace Explorer
    • Netscape

used IE forever and always liked it, but got tired of having to constantly keep an eye on security settings and having run 2 or 3 3rd party apps to keep it clean (app for spyware, BHO's, etc., and another for ads) and still being at high risk. IE hasn't changed in in forever and it's just patch after patch after patch. i also never like the fact that MS insists on making it difficult to remove contents from the 'temp internet files' directory (index.dat files), which makes it easy for law enforcement to use it against you. although i don't participate in illegal activities, it's the principle of the **** thing. now, i no longer even have that dir (removed with autoruns).

tried Opera briefly, but found it's not nearly as configurable as FF IMO. however i'd recommenced Opera for anyone who wants a good, secure and fairly feature rich browser out-of-the-box with a minimum of fuss.

over the years i've tried FF a few times and couldn't see what all the fuss was about. now that i've been using it exclusively for probably close to a year, i DO see what all the fuss is about :) for me, there is no other browser. out of the box it's very slim and very fast. add all the extensions you want to give it the functionality YOU want. the downsides i've found is not sorting bookmarks alphabetically with folders first (there are work-a-rounds) and slower application loading times (and again, there are work-a-rounds). as far as not being able to access windows update, i consider that a plus. with IE, OE, WMP and many other windows annoyances and security hole riddled apps removed (nLite), there is far less use for windows updates. MFSN hosts a list of updates (http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=31886) and then there's an auto-update for FF users here: http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/ .

Edited by atomizer

I used IE for a long time, and always loved it. But it was boring to download and install Hotfixes or Patches for it every month or so.

Since I dont use Windows Update (and its possible to use it with FF now), I had no reasons to stay with IE.

Security was the main reason that made me change to Firefox ... Now, I dont even think about using another Microsoft browser!

Firefox all the way!

...Since I dont use Windows Update (and its possible to use it with FF now)...

interesting you mention that. i had heard that MS released an extension or plugin for FF users to be able to access WU. i spent some time searching and found many articles, but no links. also didn't find anything on the M$ website.