98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

dsound.dll (again)

installing the SP2.1a after DirectX9c (as recommended) with the following line

DSOUND.DLL,,DSOUND.TMP,4

in the update.inf, makes the SP overwrite the new dsound.dll (4.09) from DirectX9c with the old one (4.07) from the SP :(

DxDiag also recognizes the deprecated file and recommends the reinstallation of DirectX9c

Is there an alternative installation method?

maybe another number than ",4"

another good reason why the dsound.dll file (4.07) should either not be included in the 98se SP or the

pack should not install that file if DX8 or DX9 is installed under Win98se.

I sure like to see vip.386 version 4.10.2227 included in the next release of SE SP.

and I would like to see the pack display a dialog box asking whether or not to un-install the 98se SP.

Double-clicking on SE SP in Add/Remove programs uninstalls the pack immediately, without prompting

the user whether to uninstall the pack or not. that's kinda dangerous since one time I accidently clicked on the uninstall SE SP entry in Add/Remove programs on a Win98se machine. ouch!

and I would like to see the pack display a dialog box asking whether or not to un-install the 98se SP.

Double-clicking on SE SP in Add/Remove programs uninstalls the pack immediately, without prompting

the user whether to uninstall the pack or not. that's kinda dangerous since one time I accidently clicked on the uninstall SE SP entry in Add/Remove programs on a Win98se machine. ouch!

2.1a does that.

Edited by Gape

dsound.dll (again)

installing the SP2.1a after DirectX9c (as recommended) with the following line

DSOUND.DLL,,DSOUND.TMP,4

in the update.inf, makes the SP overwrite the new dsound.dll (4.09) from DirectX9c with the old one (4.07) from the SP :(

DxDiag also recognizes the deprecated file and recommends the reinstallation of DirectX9c

Is there an alternative installation method?

maybe another number than ",4"

another good reason why the dsound.dll file (4.07) should either not be included in the 98se SP or the

pack should not install that file if DX8 or DX9 is installed under Win98se.

In English version of SESP it is correct.

No, in the current version the dialog should appear. Have you used the last version?

Petr

I suppose it is because both these files come from MS05-013: Vulnerability in the DHTML editing component ActiveX control could allow code execution and there must be some (unknown to us) reason why Microsoft have different file in Windows 98 SE version and Windows 2000 version of this fix.

Ah, I didn't know this. So, I guess it remains to be determined whether the DHTMLED.OCX from the 2000 fix (build 6.01.9232) is in any way superior to the 98 SE version (assuming, of course that they both have the same functionality on 98 SE systems and that it's ok to install 6.01.9232 on them), because if it had been judged superior, it would be in the SP2.1a... Is that right? The policy of including files from other OS is sometimes followed by SP2.1a, is it not?

Anyway, not to worry, just curious.

It comes from Directory Services Client Update for Windows 98. The simplest thing is to google for vredir.vxd 4.10.0.2231 - the first result is this knowedgebase article.

Thank you. The simple answers are sometimes the best. :)

Edited by bristols

Hello,

this SP is naturally a good new but, before I'll tested, I've some questions:

1) I noticed some of updates integrated in this pack concern Microsoft Office.

I believed SPs contain only fixes for the operating system.

Why integrate these fixes and not integrate fixes for Media Player by example?

What happened on computers, which haven't Office? I asked that because it's possible installing this pack at first. Do the files modified concern also WordPad?

2) Another fix, Q885836, is integrated in this pack. Is programming security fix for Win98 it possible?

Because, at this address: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms04-041.mspx ,

it's clearly indicated:

No. None of these vulnerabilities are critical in severity on Windows 98, on Windows 98 Second Edition, or on Windows Millennium Edition.
Non-critical security issues are not offered during this support period.

3) Is the problem about Windows 2000 icons (which I've already mentioned) resolved?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

1) I noticed some of updates integrated in this pack concern Microsoft Office.

I believed SPs contain only fixes for the operating system.

Why integrate these fixes and not integrate fixes for Media Player by example?

What happened on computers, which haven't Office? I asked that because it's possible installing this pack at first. Do the files modified concern also WordPad?

If you mean the following files:

Html32.cnv

Mswrd832.cnv

Msconv97.dll

Mswrd632.wpc

then these files are part of standard Windows 98 (SE) install. There are also updates intedned for Windows 98 (SE) containing some of these files, like Q823559. SESP just contains newer version of these files.

2) Another fix, Q885836, is integrated in this pack. Is programming security fix for Win98 it possible?

Because, at this address: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms04-041.mspx ,

it's clearly indicated:

No. None of these vulnerabilities are critical in severity on Windows 98, on Windows 98 Second Edition, or on Windows Millennium Edition.
Non-critical security issues are not offered during this support period.

I've read at least one report that new Mswrd632.wpc behaves better in Windows 98 SE than the original one so I believe it was correct to add this update into SESP.

Petr

excuse my ignorance but reinstalling DirectX 9.0c December 2005 after USP2.1a and/or 98SE2ME would overwrite all this old files???

in the update.inf, makes the SP overwrite the new dsound.dll (4.09) from DirectX9c with the old one (4.07) from the SP sad.gif

ALso is there a switch/command line to force DirectX to force reinstall, as usually just updates the missing files if any, and if you use the same version of directX doesn't do anything!!!!!!!

According to Microsoft webpage this version of DirectX is not for Windows 98 (SE).

Does anybody know why?

Win98SE being phased out by MS I would think. Isn't it the same for the IE updates ?

But DirectX 9.0c Redistributable (October 2005) for Software Developers - Multilingual has in the list of supported operating systems:

Windows 2000;

Windows 2000 Advanced Server;

Windows 2000 Professional Edition ;

Windows 2000 Server;

Windows 2000 Service Pack 2;

Windows 2000 Service Pack 3;

Windows 2000 Service Pack 4;

Windows 98;

Windows 98 Second Edition;

Windows ME;

Windows Server 2003;

Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1;

Windows Server 2003, Datacenter x64 Edition;

Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition;

Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition;

Windows Small Business Server 2003 ;

Windows XP; Windows XP 64-bit;

Windows XP Home Edition ;

Windows XP Home Edition N;

Windows XP Media Center Edition;

Windows XP Professional Edition ;

Windows XP Professional N;

Windows XP Service Pack 1;

Windows XP Service Pack 2;

Windows XP Starter Edition;

Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

If you compare the list with the list for dec05 version, you will see that:

Windows 98;

were deleted and

Windows XP Embedded;

Windows XP Embedded Service Pack 1;

Windows XP Embedded Service Pack 2;

were added.

I don't think that anything changed in Windows 98 support between October and December 2005.

Petr

If you compare the list with the list for dec05 version, you will see that:

Windows 98;

were deleted and

Windows XP Embedded;

Windows XP Embedded Service Pack 1;

Windows XP Embedded Service Pack 2;

were added.

I don't think that anything changed in Windows 98 support between October and December 2005.

I have just briefly tried to install it on 98SE in a virtual machine. It does install without problems. 98 and 98SE just aren't supported anymore I think. Files are essentially the same as the previous DX9.0c it would appear. D3DX9 files are added and also some junk such as png images of input devices.

I have installed DX 9.0c December 2005 edition on 98SE, and installed ok.

It installed all DX files, not just the newer ones [which are actually not needed for proper DX operation]:

D3DX9_25.DLL [from August 2005 edition]

D3DX9_26.DLL [from September 2005 edition]

D3DX9_27.DLL [from October 2005 edition]

D3DX9_28.DLL [from December 2005 edition]

I believe these files just add support for MDX [Managed DirectX], not needed unless one develops/distributes DX apps/games.

I have used the full offline setup [46 MB]:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/1...2005_redist.exe

but the web based online setup:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/7.../dxwebsetup.exe

should work the same, one just needs to wait for downloading all components from MS servers [a major drag for dial-up users :(].

DX 9.0c:

http://www.mdgx.com/dx.htm#DX9

MS removed 98 + 98 SE from supported OSes list because they are not supported [not even "extended"] anymore, they are both within the "paid incident support phase" [last MS support phase], until June 30 2006:

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=6898

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/

On the other hand, WinME is still within the "extended support phase", until June 30 2006:

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=6519

That's [probably] why they still list WinME on the DX December 2005 Redist page.

BTW:

DX SDK December 2005 contains [and installs] the latest beta of DX 10.0 for Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/sdk/readmepage/

Unfortunately DX 10.0 does not work with 9x OSes.

DX SDK [any 2005 edition] cannot be installed on and doesn't work with 9x OSes.

DX10b consists of only 2 files:

D3DX10.DLL

X3DAUDIO.DLL

contained inside these CABs [X86 32-bit versions]:

Beta_Dec2005_D3DX10_x86.cab

Beta_Dec2005_XACT_x86.cab

Note that support for newer hardware is minimal at this point.

Windows Vista [formerly known as Longhorn] will install complete DX 10.0 RTM.

excuse my ignorance but reinstalling DirectX 9.0c December 2005 after USP2.1a and/or 98SE2ME would overwrite all this old files???
98SE2ME does not install/overwrite any DX files.

Please see READ1ST.TXT for details:

http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/READ1ST.TXT

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the "FAQ" chapter [ * 98SE2ME does NOT interfere with Gape's Windows 98 SE Service Pack 2 (SP2): ] to view the complete list of USP2 files 98SE2ME replaces/overwrites.

Hope this helps.

Edited by MDGx

D3DX9_25.DLL [from August 2005 edition]D3DX9_26.DLL [from September 2005 edition]

D3DX9_27.DLL [from October 2005 edition]

D3DX9_28.DLL [from December 2005 edition]

I believe these files just add support for MDX [Managed DirectX], not needed unless one develops/distributes DX apps/games.

Does it not also install D3DX9_24.DLL from February 2005 edition ?

They are actually Direct3D helpers needed for some recent games and apps and they should work under 9x which is why they are installed probably. So far they weren't officially freely redistributable though they were people redistributing them without the SDK as they were absolutely needed for some games.

See here for example : http://www.toymaker.info/Games/html/d3dx_dlls.html

The managed DirectX component is in Dec2005_MDX1_x86.cab and Dec2005_MDX1_x86_Archive.cab I think. I don't think it does install on 9x. I haven't checked it out.

Also xinput.dll, an Xbox 360 Controller, does not install apparently. That's in Oct2005_xinput_x86.cab.

Edited by eidenk