98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

Thanks.

I haven't installed yet but here are a couple

of observations.

Fdisk.exe is still the older version. Not petr's.

Services is not copied by default

but it's in preserve.inf.

Maybe that's your intent.

The slow properties display fix. Well...

Docprop.dll has this guid {3EA48300-8CF6-101B-84FB-666CCB9BCD32}.

Cryptext.dll has this guid {7444C719-39BF-11D1-8CD9-00C04FC29D45}.

you reference this post:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=67485

Spupdate.inf may be incorrect here.

My registry (on a mature installation) says:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\\
{3EA48300-8CF6-101B-84FB-666CCB9BCD32}]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\CryptoSignMenu]
@="{7444C719-39BF-11D1-8CD9-00C04FC29D45}"

That may not be accurate for a virgin install.

And.

I'm not sure if it's still necessary but, q265854,

Smartvsd.vxd being copied to the system directory

instead of iosubsys does not seem to be addressed at this time.

98 SE SP 3.0 ALPHA 1 :w00t:

Welcome back !!!

We've been busy while you were away ... i've been meaning to ask you about your Dial-up Networking 1.4 update pack but i've forgotten what the question was ... it was something to do with how to get it to install without an automatic reboot. My solution in the end was to create an AutoIT script and use that to cancel the 'Do you want to reboot now' prompt. But i'd prefer your method because it doesn't add one of the components ... anyway, i'm starting work on the new version of the UBCD project and i'll get around to working out what exactly i wanted to know ... i can't wait to test out the new version of the service pack ... again, welcome back!

Heh heh, memories fade especially mine.

But I remember. What Gape's version of Dialup Networking 1.4 does is not install, or at least activate, Virtual Dialup Networking components that, for those who don't use Virtual Dialup Networking anyway, sometimes interferes with Ethernet Cable (or I suppose DSL too) internet.

I couldn't get a connection with my cable internet access using my ethernet PCI card and cable modem unless I would go ahead and uninstall Virtual Private Networking and delete the components of it from Network Properties.

With Gape's pack I didn't need to go through that hassle.

So now that things are better, thank G-d, WELCOME BACK GAPE! :thumbup

And, yeah, how did you manage that neat trick with Dialup Networking 1.4 Gape? No one else has been able to figure that out.

Somehow, since you've been gone, I've lost the ability to successfully install a stable Windows 98SE system. Anytime I do I get some inevitable error that causes Windows to either not be able to boot (Error loading Device IOS. Real Mode Memory Allocation failed), or the last time destruction of my partition table when installing the Via Hyperion drivers for the Sata controller.

Actually I haven't been thrilled with any Windows version since 98SE. Nowadays I took the plunge into purchasing Window Vista but it churns my hard drive so much and is so buggy that Explorer doesn't even recognize new files added or the deletion of files (some but not all) unless I restart after adding (like from a DVD rip) or deleting them (like deleting a large amount of files at one time).

I've been so disappointed with Vista that I usually use Linux nowadays nearly all the time. It's really awesome. However most of my older software, much of which still will run on Vista, will not run on Wine within Linux but ran best on Windows 98SE.

My systems are still from the mid XP period and so I get the best Windows performance out of them with either 98SE or XP. But then even XP won't run some of my older stuff at all or not as well as on 98SE.

If you can get an updated pack out that, for reasons entirely unknown to me, does allow me to use Windows 98SE stable on it, that would be awesome. I would just go back to installing major stuff like Internet Explorer 6 SP1, Direct X, WMP 9, etc. individually like I used to and combine that with your Service Pack for the updates.

Well, at least it would give me incentive to try 98SE out again. I love how the Auto-Patcher lets us zip through installing just about everything we need for 98SE but I really haven't been able to successfully use 98SE since your Service Pack was the only option besides either trusting Windows Update (not even available anymore and it wasn't trustworthy on 98SE when it was), or installing each one individually.

There's something in the newer updates or newer versions of some software that wreaks havoc on my systems, and I mean ANY of my computers. Even those that are old enough that they were designed in 98SE's day. I just can't run the thing these days.

I'd use your pack and install the rest of the updates by hand like the old days and see what happens.

I do remember that using your pack effected the order of Microsoft Office installs because of some MDAC files. Newer Office versions had to be installed after your pack and older versions needed to be installed ahead of your pack. It was kind of confusing but if I did it wrong Windows was shot to death and wouldn't startup.

So if successful I'd run Linux most of the time and go into Windows for using older games and music creation stuff from that period. Since Vista runs like crap on these machines I'd just wait until someday building a new computer (years down the road) before using it again, but might dual-boot on that hard drive with XP Pro for DVD video purposes. I use a second hard drive for Linux, Debian Lenny being my distro right now.

I just hate to boot into Vista so I'm missing out on my large amounts of Windows software purchased over the years even though I successfully installed and used a lot of it on Vista. I just don't want to boot into it and sit and wait while the hard drive churns to shortening of its lifespan and I have to deal with all the bugs of the new operating system.

I like the old bugs better! :lol:

So yeah, I can't wait until you get the new pack finalized after all the modern updates are figured out.

I have no idea if it'll work any better this way than using the Auto-Patcher as the updates should be essentially the same, but I'm willing to give it a go just to try something.

Darn it though. I've always installed most of the stuff in the Auto-Patcher anyway and it is so easy to just run that program and let it do it for me. But if somehow your installations can give me stability back it will be well worth the work for me. I can't see what's the difference but I remember a time when I could run Windows 98SE on these motherboards and the last time I could do that was back when your pack was current.

Looking forward to having some fun.

Two questions.

1, Is it necessary for IE6 to be installed in order to use SP 3.0?

2, Can it be used when Internet Explorer has been removed by IEradicator?

I have a 98SE test unit nearly completed as far as applications are concerned. I've installed no patches save what was necessary to get the other apps to work. IE, WMP, etc have not been updated as I haven't decided if I want Internet Explorer at all.

Rick

After installing uSP 2.1a I do encounter a problem:

When I insert CD in one of my drives and immediately open My Computer the whole system freezes (incl. mouse cursor) until the disc in detected. This also happens when I have Nero launched and insert a CD.

There is also another problem: sometimes when I remove CD from the drive, explorer 'thinks' that it is still inserted -> you can see the contents of the CD which isn't present. OR when I insert another CD I see contents of previous CD. But when I try to access anything on it I get a blue screen and system dies.

I have isolated the problem and it is related to CDVSD.VXD 4.10.2226 which is distributed with uSP.

The problem disappears when I install original CDVSD.VXD 4.10.2222.

The problem occured on 3 different computers on which I have installed uSP.

Thank you very much. I will try to reproduce it. I also should check that if there are other CDVSD.VXD versions such as 2225, 2224 etc.

I have CDVSD.VXD 4.10.2224 from KB265314.

Get it here :Download site

Hope this helps :D

Edited by ElectricString

Thanks. I will check it. Maybe there is a newer HTML Help update.

For the record the numbers are:

HH.exe - 5.02.3790.1830

HHsetup.dll - 5.02.3790.1830

ltirc.dll - 5.02.3790.1830

ltss.dll - 5.02.3790.1830

This may not be the right place to report it, but I'm having some issues once in a while with that version of Explorer.

As I keep my taskbar autohidden at the top of the screen, occasionally, when some window is maximized (happens mostly with SlimBrowser but not only), the taskbar does not show up, but a horizontal line about 1 px high can be seen, changing colored pixels as if each line of the taskbar would be painted over the previous, at the same position.

This doesn't happen too often and can be overcome by minimizing/maximizing the window causing this effect, while quickly hovering the taskbar, to be visible while the window gets maximized. This trick may be hard to perform on a fast system, but my 800MHz Pentium III is slow enough to allow it.

The *.1700 explorer crashed on me when I was using winamp 5.35. It only happened once though, so it might be a one time thing. I don't have any problems with the taskbar with *.1710. But of course I run the taskbar in the default mode on the bottom. I wonder what if any difference there is between the two different builds. I will say that both *.17xx builds run far better than the one that came with win98se.

Thank you all for very important and valuable feedback.

Fdisk.exe, Services, Slow properties, q265854...

All of them will be fixed on Alpha 2.

We've been busy while you were away ... i've been meaning to ask you about your Dial-up Networking 1.4 update pack but i've forgotten what the question was ... it was something to do with how to get it to install without an automatic reboot. My solution in the end was to create an AutoIT script and use that to cancel the 'Do you want to reboot now' prompt. But i'd prefer your method because it doesn't add one of the components ... anyway, i'm starting work on the new version of the UBCD project and i'll get around to working out what exactly i wanted to know ... i can't wait to test out the new version of the service pack ... again, welcome back!

uSP doesn't contain the full package of DUN 1.4. I extracted and added only necessary parts of it.

Just installed sesp30a1.exe. No problems except that it seems to have knocked out the new My Computer and Recycle Bin icons.

Desktop icons will be return on Alpha 2.

I have CDVSD.VXD 4.10.2224 from KB265314.

Get it here :Download site

Hope this helps :D

Xeno86, can you try this ?

HH.exe - 5.02.3790.1830

I could not find the source, where are they from ? Any idea ?

I noticed that you are using explorer.exe *.1700. MDGx has a newer version *.1710.

* Unofficial Windows 98 SE 256 Colors Icons Explorer EXPLORER.EXE 4.72.3612.1710 Fix:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/explor9x.php

- EXPLORER.EXE 4.72.3612.1710 Patch [172 KB, English]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/EXPLOR98.EXE

1700 is from IE6.0SP1. But I am not sure about 1710. What is its source ? Maybe MDGx modified the version.

Edited by Gape

uSP doesn't contain the full package of DUN 1.4. I extracted and added only necessary parts of it.

My wish is to be able to make a stand-alone installer package that can be run silently. If i knew how you managed to incorporate it into uSP, i will have a great chance of being able to use that knowledge to make a proper iexpress package that DOES install silently. Can you help?

HH.exe - 5.02.3790.1830

I could not find the source, where are they from ? Any idea ?

From Windows Server 2003 SP1. DO NOT USE THESE HTML HELP FILES!!!

They cause some CHM files not to work correctly under Win98 SE. Just use the HTML Help files from MDGx's unofficial HTML Help package:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/HHUPD.EXE

Just use version 5.2.3790.309 of the hh.exe, hhsetup.dll, itircl.dll & itss.dll files from KB896358 for Win98 and hhctrl.ocx v5.2.3790.2748 from KB935448. All five of these files are also included in MDGx's Html Help pack and work properly with the CHM files under Win98 SE.

1700 is from IE6.0SP1. But I am not sure about 1710. What is its source ? Maybe MDGx modified the version.

I modded this one, Gape. explorer.exe build 1710 is no different from 1700 except for very minor tweaks that I'll keep quiet about.

btw - welcome back!

Edited by erpdude8