98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

I agree that a full-blown SP package would be difficult to download for slow/limited connection users (such as myself) and it may also drive away some people at seeing the size of it. It would also take a lot of HDD space, as it would have to unpack all the bundled packages whether they're needed or not and sometimes free space may not be enough for unpacking/storage and installation.

I also agree that since certain options in the SP require either DirectX or IE6, users should be well aware of these requirements and be able to readily get them. Would it be possible (legally and bandwidth-wise) to host these additional packages at the same place as the SP?

The current installer used to pack/unpack the SP is rather simple. There would be a need for a more flexible one that would allow both opening a bundled help file (the CHM file) by a simple button click and opening any web pages needed for more documentation or download, such as the DirectX or IE6-SP1 packages, through visible links. Some time ago I had suggested PROBLEMCHYLD the usage of the NSIS installer, same that is used by the KernelEx package or Winamp, for that matter. Thing is, we need someone that knows the syntax used for setting the options correctly. I was wondering, Mr. Loew, could you help in this matter? Or anybody else that knows that syntax well enough?

I was thinking, the installer should be wise enough to automatically inform the user about the requirements and offer to download the necessary package(s), when certain options are marked. Of course, an Internet connection should already be available, which is another thing the SP should check for, because one may well copy the SP to a web-isolated machine through CD/DVD/USB, in which case downloading would be impossible and user should be notified about it. For such situation, a full-blown SP package could be provided, but the download page should explicitly mention which is what, so that nobody would download unneeded or wrong package(s).

If I added Direct X, it would bring the package up to 80mb approximately. Thats not too bad :thumbup Now adding Internet Explorer and it depends because some people use IE 5.0 SP, IE 5.5SP2 or IE 6 + updates for Outlook Express and IE would bring it close to a 100MB. In total, thats about 180mb + :whistle: The bandwidth would eventually become slow, upload time would take longer aswell as download. If it becomes that size, we should look into torrents. I agree with rloew and Drugwash, we are eventually going to have to move away from older versions of IE. There will be users with no or limited internet connections, but a full blown SP would be useful to others with no internet connection. If bugs occur, users will have to fix the issues manually until the next update.

p.s.

I don't see me adding Internet Explorer. Reason, you have people who don't even use IE or use different versions from others, and just to download an extra 100mb is pointless. We will find some type of work around or another solution but adding IE is not worth it.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

IE usually was needed for certain updated system files it had bundled, that could not be found otherwise. It is not about using IE as a browser, but getting those files into the system. One may well rename iexplore.exe to whatever else (mine is iexplore.exe.000) and set some other browser as default.

The idea was to have any possible combination for download on the main uSP page, such as:

- uSP FULL (standard uSP + IE6-SP1 + DirectX 9.0c) [For deployment in web-isolated environments]

- uSP Standard [regular package]

- DirectX 9.0c [standalone DirectX, latest 98SE/ME version - required by certain uSP options]

- IE6 SP1 [standalone IE6, latest 98SE/ME version - required by certain uSP options]

That should cover any and all possible demands. A smart installer with two separate package scripts could build both Full and Standard packages with a single click each.

If I added Direct X, it would bring the package up to 80mb approximately. Thats not too bad :thumbup Now adding Internet Explorer and it depends because some people use IE 5.0 SP, IE 5.5SP2 or IE 6 + updates for Outlook Express and IE would bring it close to a 100MB. In total, thats about 180mb + :whistle: The bandwidth would eventually become slow, upload time would take longer aswell as download. If it becomes that size, we should look into torrents. I agree with rloew and Drugwash, we are eventually going to have to move away from older versions of IE. There will be users with no or limited internet connections, but a full blown SP would be useful to others with no internet connection. If bugs occur, users will have to fix the issues manually until the next update.

p.s.

I don't see me adding Internet Explorer. Reason, you have people who don't even use IE or use different versions from others, and just to download an extra 100mb is pointless. We will find some type of work around or another solution but adding IE is not worth it.

Probably the best solution is two versions. A "Lite" (current) Version and a "Full" Version.

@drugwash: I have never used NSIS. I write my own Installers.

That points out one specific useful reason for having updated IE files even if you do not use IE as your browser that I'm sure effects more than just TmEE. So that just puts it back to figuring out the most useful distribution method and hosting source. Anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers and Regards

Cross-posting here and in the NUSB thread.

Due to the repeated problems some users with VIA Chipsets are having, I have created an automated installer for the VIA USB 2.0 Driver Stack. This can be used to replace the Microsoft Windows 2000 files installed by NUSB and the Unofficial Service Pack on systems that have VIA chipsets and have problems using the Microsoft files.

This package supports the /Q:A and /R:N syntax for silent or scripted installations. It will overwrite the Microsoft files installed by NUSB in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS and C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS without prompting.

This package is intended for use with NUSB and the USP ONLY. It does NOT provide an INF file, and can NOT be uninstalled. To restore the Microsoft files, you must re-add them manually, or reinstall NUSB/USP.

ONLY USE THIS PACKAGE IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE MICROSOFT DRIVERS!

VIAUSB2.ZIP - 180.7 Kb

PROBLEMCHYLD, might I be so bold as to suggest optional pre- or post-packs? One for IE 5.5 SP2 and one for IE 6 SP1. Maybe one with all the other software DotNet, WMP, etc? Just a thought.

Sure, I don't mind constructive feedback and input. Here is the thing, I'm trying to figure out the best solution, there will be users that have their personal preference when it comes to Internet Explorer. As I said before, their will be some who use IE 5.0 SP.X, IE 5.5 SP2, IE 6 SP1 and users like myself who don't use IE at all. I don't have the bandwidth muscle to host multiple packages that are HUGE unless I upgrade to a Business package from my ISP. That means, I will need to start taking donations and I'm trying to avoid that. Certain free sites allow a size limit on files, meaning I have to pay them for hosting huge packages. Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Please forgive my ignorance if this suggestion is infeasible or already taken care of, but instead of including those large IE packages how about if the Service Pack installation instructions were to provide addresses for (trustworthy) places where the user could get each of the possible alternative IE versions? Then the user could download the desired one as needed.

This might provide the best practical mix of package comprehensiveness, user convenience, and customizability, while at the same time limiting the size of the files that @PROBLEMCHYLD needs to offer.

--JorgeA

Please forgive my ignorance if this suggestion is infeasible or already taken care of, but instead of including those large IE packages how about if the Service Pack installation instructions were to provide addresses for (trustworthy) places where the user could get each of the possible alternative IE versions? Then the user could download the desired one as needed.

This might provide the best practical mix of package comprehensiveness, user convenience, and customizability, while at the same time limiting the size of the files that @PROBLEMCHYLD needs to offer.

--JorgeA

Another solution. Thank You! I'm working on it as we speak.

IE usually was needed for certain updated system files it had bundled, that could not be found otherwise. It is not about using IE as a browser, but getting those files into the system. One may well rename iexplore.exe to whatever else (mine is iexplore.exe.000) and set some other browser as default.

Here is the crazy thing, I don't use IE at all, but I don't have a problem adding it. 98lite rips out IE on a clean install. If users notice, I added IE 5.5 SP2 Core files because it is Super stable over the IE 6 SP1 files. I'm not sure if I can use 98lite as an example because every APP might require different files from IE. This is why the core files in SP are aimed at 98lite users only. If users want IE, I will try to give them IE. You guys input is very valuable, so keep it coming.

With IE, IMO, it would be nice to have one install with all updates available -- like IE 6sp1 w/ MDCU updates plus all new ones available since. One install for the others too.

BTW, are you aware of the updates discussed here:

With IE, IMO, it would be nice to have one install with all updates available -- like IE 6sp1 w/ MDCU updates plus all new ones available since. One install for the others too.

BTW, are you aware of the updates discussed here:

Sorry guys, I won't be adding IE atm. No versions will be added until we find a better solution. I can't afford the bandwidth. We are looking at 65MB for the lite version of the SP and about 200MB + for IE 5.5 SP2 and IE 6 SP1 each. If we can find a reliable FREE host, then I will reconsider. We are knocking on about a half gig with all three packages. There is also many broken links on MDGx site atm. I can't gather all necessary updates either. Some links work and some don't. What I will do, is when MDGx site is back up and fully running, I will try and create a installer to update IE 5.5 SP2 + IE 6 SP1. So users will have to install IE, the updated IE package, Direct X, SP main Updates, All other optional components in SP. This leaves users with about 5 or 6 steps.

Another solution is that, many files that are installed by IE are already included in Main Updates. There will be many files overlapping. With you guys help, we can probably strip it down to necessities. SP already has a option for Windows Scripting Host 5.7, so there will be no need for IE to install version 5.6. You guys get it, its a lot of work. Stripping files from IE, might lead to breakage due to other files missing. Lets see what others think before I make it final. I'm open to suggestions, but let them benefit all of us. Dial up users download a 200mb + package can be painful. People with lower computer specs couldn't handle the package. I sorry to say it, but not all of us is as fortunate as others.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD