98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

I'm not sure that "LICENSE.TXT" is the best place to put the instructions.

That file would normally contain legal stuff, disclaimers and that sort of thing, not installation information.

I would have thought that a "README.TXT" file would be more appropriate.

Of course some people will not follow the instructions even if they do find them, but those that do wish to use them properly I would have thought would more expect to find them in a Readme file than a License file.

Just a suggestion.

:)

...remove the Drivers using Device Manager. This clears them from the Registry...

...Pre-existing Driver Files and INF Files are still present, unless you delete them too.

Since an INF with a specific Device reference (VID/PID) takes precedence over a Generic Device reference, your previous Drivers should still be used if they specify Devices explicitly....

I can confirm that, not directly with storage devices but with USB2 controller drivers.

One of my machines had the Orangware/Intel USB2 drivers installed before I installed NUSB. Even though I removed them from the Device Manager to install NUSB, when the machine rebooted, it reloaded the Orangeware drivers for the USB2 controller instead of the NUSB ones.

Edited by LoneCrusader

...remove the Drivers using Device Manager. This clears them from the Registry...

...Pre-existing Driver Files and INF Files are still present, unless you delete them too.

Since an INF with a specific Device reference (VID/PID) takes precedence over a Generic Device reference, your previous Drivers should still be used if they specify Devices explicitly....

I can confirm that, not directly with storage devices but with USB2 controller drivers.

One of my machines had the Orangware/Intel USB2 drivers installed before I installed NUSB. Even though I removed them from the Device Manager to install NUSB, when the machine rebooted, it reloaded the Orangeware drivers for the USB2 controller instead of the NUSB ones.

Once I found out that the Windows 2000 USB drivers worked, I deleted my Orangeware drivers completely, INF files included.

The Orangeware drivers didn't add any special functions nor did the Windows 2000 drivers. IMO they are considered equal. I didn't gain anything or lose anything. I decided to stick with Windows 2000 drivers instead of having both on my system. An old screenshot of my USB 2.0 using the Windows 2k drivers. I don't even install the Orangeware drivers because there is no need. SP3.x handles all my USB devices ATM thanks to NUSB 3.x .

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I discovered today that HID devices refuse to work on the Pentium. I tried couple of different mice (Microsoft Wireless mobile mouse 4000, IBM ScrollPoint III, Logitech RX300) and one game controller (Trust Vibraforce 850F) I had, all of which work on my other machine that uses some much older uSP (I think 3.3).

"The NTKERN.VXD device loader(s) for this device could not load the device driver. (Code 2.)"

The difference between the drivers on the 2 machines is that my other has 4.10.something driver file versions, but the Pentium has 5.0 and 5.1.something. There's 4 files listed HIDUSB.DLL, HIDPARSE.DLL, HIDCLASS.DLL and NTKERN.VXD. For testing I copied the older DLL from my older setup which resulted in no errors, but the devices did not work either.

All imaginable USB sticks and memory card readers I got work flawlessly and so does the printer (HP Laserjet 2015) and the scanner (Mustek Bearpaw 2400TA+).

I am now using VIA VT6212L based USB 2.0 card.

Removal of all USB related devices in device manager in safe mode did no change anything.

I started reviving my 486 and needed a PS/2 mouse so I took it from the Pentium as I can always use an USB one on it...but seems there's some complications. At least the 486 is häppy now :P

If you are using a VIA chipset controller then you need to delete the USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891 and replace it with a VIA version

USBHUB20.SYS 4.90.3000.11. I have not found a solution because I don't have a VIA set to test with. After you replace the file follow the USB instructions once more.

That did not seem to work. The file version form driver CD is same as what I saw in this thread and it is nicely loaded but HID devices still refuse to work.

Right now I moved the VIA card to my main PC which has NUSB36 installed and all HID devices aswell as everything else I found work without a hitch, even without adding the VIA file to the mix.

Strange...

But before going any further, I'll install uSP 3.6 on that machine, I'm still on 3.5.

I am seeing one workaround though... there is Intel USB 1.1 integrated, I'll have to find a mobo header adaptor first to test this. I only needed USB 2.0 for storage, 1.1 is more than enough for input devices.

I will report back later.

EDIT: Good news, install of 3.6 fixed the problem, HID devices work now ! :thumbup

Edited by TmEE

Another SP item that should be an optional install : Adaptec Windows ASPI driver (version v4.71.2).

If you use a Domex SCSI card such as DTC3181X, DTC3151X, DMX436, DMX-3181LE, DTC-3181LE, DTC-3151 (also known by various OEM numbers such as UDS-IS11) and you install the Adaptec ASPI driver, your Domex card will stop working (it will show OK in Device Manager but will freeze if you try a SCSI data transfer).

This family of SCSI cards are ISA and have a somewhat unique feature of being able to operate sans IRQ (for some, use of an IRQ is optional). While this is a disadvantage in regards performance, if you have no free IRQ's (ISA can't share), it's just the ticket. I suspect it's this IRQ-less operation that Adaptec's drivers break (AFAIK, all their SCSI cards use IRQ, so they probably didn't consider this).

BTW, Domex state that this card and its associated drivers can only be used with scanners, but that's not actually true, I have successfully used one with an external Sun CR-ROM drive.

Joe.

Another SP item that should be an optional install : Adaptec Windows ASPI driver (version v4.71.2).

Joe.

By default, these files are present on a clean/fresh/vanilla install. The SP only updates the files.

They are considerd main updates/drivers.

The is NO need to have multiple options for MAIN system updates.

Most of the options are for users who may or may not want certain packages.

Its hard to find a workaround because I can't test.

If every single package and files was optional, then the SP wouldn't have any purpose.

Everyone could just download all the files they wanted to use, installing them without any hassle.

If you can find a workaround, I would add it to help future installations. Possible Solution Also, you might want to try adding the drivers for this piece of hardware last, after you install the SP.

APIX.VXD

WINASPI.DLL

WNASPI32.DLL

P.S

Anyone who has already install 3.6, you doNOT need to install 3.7. The changes are very minor. Only clean installs and icon changers will be the ONLY ones to benefit from 3.7. New update later today.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

If every single package and files was optional, then the SP wouldn't have any purpose.

....don't forget "convenience" and "freedom" :whistle: .

Really, I do understand how there might be difficulties and even "unresolvable" ones in doing this in practice :( , and as said you are perfectly free to manage your project every which way you want/can :), but the concept of "modularity" should IMHO be the first one whenever designing this kind of tools.

We already have the MS guys that pretend to know better than we do what is best for us.....

Try seeing it another way, let's take nlite as an example.

Nuhi designed it in such a way that it is VERY modular (and this is actually a drawback as some "interconnectedness" is not IMHO explained or explained "well enough" :ph34r: )

But he could have made as well a three radio button choice thingy:

• Remove nothing
  • Remove average (this is what is advised as the "best thing for you")
  • Remove everything (max reduction)

then, simplify it to a two choices:

(if you dont' want to remove anything then do not run nlite)

Or even a single choice:

• Remove average (this is what is advised as the "best thing for you"

and be done with it :angel .

(but I think that IF nlite was designed this latter way it would have had much less success ;) )

jaclaz

But he could have made as well a three radio button choice thingy:

• Remove nothing

then, simplify it to a two choices:

(if you dont' want to remove anything then do not run nlite)

Or even a single choice:

• Remove average (this is what is advised as the "best thing for you"

and be done with it :angel .

(but I think that IF nlite was designed this latter way it would have had much less success ;) )

jaclaz

Thats funny you say that, because at the end of the day, you'll still have your complainers. Why did you add this? Why did you remove that? You said it yourself, there is no perfect solution. I have already accepted the fact, some people don't like SP3, and they don't have to. They also don't have to complain either, but thats comes with it. I'm alright if just a few people are happy.

Even 98lite don't remove all the stuff I want removed, but I deal with or I remove the leftovers myself. For every PROBLEM there is a SOLUTION.

I just want to say thank you for all your effort with this service pack. I installed it on my late mothers old Advent 3201 (700 mhz + 384 MB ram) and it's running better than when she brought it 11 years ago. It has been in my sisters loft for 6 yrs unused and very dusty but now its all good and running like a champ :)