98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

One thing I'd request though ... Can the USB drivers in the future SP3.6 be made optional? I won't benefit from USB 2.0 drivers on my USB 1.1 machines, and I've already got Intel's drivers running on my USB 2.0 machine. As I'm happy with the USB drivers I already use, I'd rather not mess with them, if and when I chose to install the SP on my remaining machines.

Joe.

NO! SP3.x installs USB 1.1/USB 2.0 drivers. Just because you don't want to follow instuctions doesn't

mean I'm going to complicate things for myself and others. You have the following options.

1. Don't install SP3.x at all

2. Use a older version and replace all updated files manually.

3. If you do install SP3.x follow the instructions

4. Learn how to do it yourself

I think what agitates me more than anything is complaints about things that can be avoided.

Don't use the SP if you don't like whats in it.

One guy said he wouldn't install SP3 because of the changed icons but also said he wanted system stability.

He have the same choices above.

For something thats FREE, I have never seen so many people complain. DIY

I'm not surprised. You are a single source.

The alternative is a pile of slightly different versions created by different people to customize their installations.

These will be far harder to manage and update.

I agree 100%. My thing is, I 'm willing to compromise. I can create a package without the updated WinME/2000 icons, but then what about the people who want them. The people who complains the most are the ones who contribute the less.

I tested the PTP/MTP stuff for you, didn't I? Why do you insist that NUSB is mandatory? I believe my request was not unreasonable, nor framed as a complaint.

Joe.

Edited by jds

I tested the PTP/MTP stuff for you, didn't I?

Joe.

Yes, and me and the forum greatly appreciate it. Thank you :thumbup
Why do you insist that NUSB is mandatory? I believe my request was not unreasonable, nor framed as a complaint.

Joe.

Why are you so adamant about removing the NUSB?

It has always been part of main updates and has been there for a while now.

What is so special about your intel drivers? Maybe we all can benefit.

ATM you are being selfish because you only want them remove for your benefit.

If the drivers are causing you problems, then thats a different story. I don't think they are though. If I remove them, then they are gone for good. I'm not going back and forth with this. :whistle: You have a beautiful day and thank you for using the SP. :thumbup

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Why are you so adamant about removing the NUSB?

It has always been part of main updates and has been there for a while now.

What is so special about your intel drivers? Maybe we all can benefit.

ATM you are being selfish because you only want them remove for your benefit.

If the drivers are causing you problems, then thats a different story. I don't think they are though. If I remove them, then they are gone for good. I'm not going back and forth with this. :whistle: You have a beautiful day and thank you for using the SP. :thumbup

Thanks for your consideration.

I am not asking for the removal of NUSB, I am only asking if it can be made an optional install.

If you look back in this extensive thread, you will see that the USB stuff is a regular item that people need help with. For some people, removing all their existing USB drivers to install the SP is no big deal, but for others, it is at least an unnecessary nuisance.

For myself, I'm not comfortable upsetting a working driver combination unless I really have to (or as they say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"). I also prefer to use official USB drivers for my devices (eg. JMicron, Lexar, Intel), as appropriate, rather than unofficial drivers such as NUSB. I have used NUSB on some machines, so I'm not antagonistic to it, but only where no official drivers are available.

So again, this is just something for consideration, which makes life easier for users and also for whoever maintains the SP (due to less queries about the USB requirements).

Joe.

If you look back in this extensive thread, you will see that the USB stuff is a regular item that people need help with. For some people, removing all their existing USB drivers to install the SP is no big deal, but for others, it is at least an unnecessary nuisance.

Joe.

I see no point in what you are saying. If I remove them, and make them optional, users will still have to follow the USB instructions regardless if its optional or not. If I were to remove them altogther,

users will have to download NUSB package separately and they still will have to follow the instructions. :o As I stated on the main web page, the procedure only needs to be done once, unless new USB drivers has been added.

From the looks of it, you seem to be the only one to benefit from this.

I'm sorry, but it is not going to happen because there is no gain in it. Now if more people want the same approach as you, then I will remove them altogether. There will be NO OPTION for it :} Next thing that will probably happen is requests to make other packages optional. I'm going to make it my duty to make 3.7 the last version. :lol:

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Hello.

I'm using an old SP3 version. I can say that it is great! It reads all flash drives that i put into the USB ports, and other things.

About the recovering the old icons: Resource hacker can't handle'em? I remember a mod for Windows XP called IneXPerience that replaces the XP icons and resources with 2000-like. A very nice mod.

Also, another thing, can I just install the new one, or I will need a clean Win98 instalation?

THings installed here:

Adobe Flash Player 10

foobar2000

KEX 4.5.2

.NET frameworks 1.1 and 2.0

IE6

mIRC

Opera 10.52

Visual C++ 6.00

MingW32

WinRAR.

Windows 98SE English.

About the recovering the old icons: Resource hacker can't handle'em? I remember a mod for Windows XP called IneXPerience that replaces the XP icons and resources with 2000-like. A very nice mod.

Yes, the new version does replace the Windows ME icons with the old Windows 98 icons, but you have to install

Main Updates to replace them.

Also, another thing, can I just install the new one, or I will need a clean Win98 instalation?

No, you do not need to do a clean install. You can just install the necessary options.

I decided to take dencorso file version Approach. The reason for this, most of the files listed below were patch, modded, hacked, tweak etc....... but the version wasn't change to show that the files are not originals. So I fix that problem. Some files has very high version numbers which IMO was unnecessary. The specific files will be in the final of 3.7 to reflect their changes.

Patched Original COMDLG32.DLL 4.72.3510.2300 = COMDLG32.DLL 4.72.3510.2305 Patch File

Patched Original EXPLORER.EXE 4.72.3612.1700 = EXPLORER.EXE 4.72.3612.1705 Patch File

Patched Original HOTPLUG.DLL 4.10.0.2224 = HOTPLUG.DLL 4.10.0.2225 Patch File

Patched Original KERNEL32.DLL 4.10.0.2225 = KERNEL32.DLL 4.10.0.2226 Patch File

Patched Original MPR.DLL 4.10.0.1998 = MPR.DLL 4.10.0.1999 Patch File

Patched Original REGEDIT.EXE 4.10.0.1998 = REGEDIT.EXE 4.10.0.1999 Patch File

Patched Original SHELL32.DLL 4.72.3812.600 = SHELL32.DLL 4.72.3812.605 Patch File SHELL32.DLL 4.72.3812.634 + 4.72.3812.719 Combined

Patched Original SYSTRAY.EXE 4.10.0.2224 = SYSTRAY.EXE 4.10.0.2225 Patch File

If I remove them, and make them optional, users will still have to follow the USB instructions regardless if its optional or not.

BTW, perhaps our interpretation of the word "remove" is different, however, let's put that aside for the moment ...

I can't see why, if NUSB is made optional and the user doesn't select it, they would need to follow the USB instructions regardless. The whole idea is that they can select it, and therefore need to follow the procedure, or not select it, in which case they don't. What am I missing here?

This option would be handy for all users that wish to apply the SP to a working system, which already has USB drivers installed. I doubt I'm the only one with such a need. In fact, I would suppose that the vast majority of users of the SP want/need to apply it to working systems, and those users doing a "clean" install would be a minority.

Another example of why the present USB procedure may not be suitable - on one machine, I use a Sony digital camera which, although it seems to use the USB Mass Storage class (not that horrid PTP/MTP stuff), only works with the Sony drivers, not generic ones. If I were to follow the SP procedure and delete the Sony driver and install NUSB in its place, I would no longer be able to access the camera. So why should I be forced to install something if it's just going to break my system?

Joe.

Though this is not somethng that should be put to "votes", IMHO jds request is more than legitimate.

In my relatively small (and definitely happened SOME time ago :ph34r:) experience with NUSB, I did have more than one trouble.

And BTW, no offence intended to the very good work byt the Nusb developer and contributors :thumbup, but possibly because of the nature itself of the thingy (drivers, and drivers for a built-in not fully supported bus, or whatever) I do remember very opposite cases, machines where the thingy installed and worked at first try with no issue whatever and machines where it took a few hours to remove the mess that the NUSB install (I will repeat in perfect "good faith" and "by accident") created.

Additionally though I don't normally use 9x machines, the times I need/use one is just to make some "very narrow" system, thus for this use all I need is basic USB Mass Storage support, which normally I get using the "simple" driver here:

So, I would venture to say that in a perfect world :angel there would be three :w00t: possibilities:

1. "full" Nusb
  2. leave USB alone
  3. basic USB Mass Storage only

leaving the final user the choice to do what he/she prefers.

jaclaz

So many problems are made by changing some icons

I would have to say, I do not understand English, Spanish no support, no documentation in Spanish, no Latin American would do a translation project

I did everything alone and silently left documentation for future translators, outdated today

Note: Prefer WinME/2K icons were the last bastion WIN9X

BTW, perhaps our interpretation of the word "remove" is different, however, let's put that aside for the moment ...

I can't see why, if NUSB is made optional and the user doesn't select it, they would need to follow the USB instructions regardless. The whole idea is that they can select it, and therefore need to follow the procedure, or not select it, in which case they don't. What am I missing here?

This option would be handy for all users that wish to apply the SP to a working system, which already has USB drivers installed. I doubt I'm the only one with such a need. In fact, I would suppose that the vast majority of users of the SP want/need to apply it to working systems, and those users doing a "clean" install would be a minority.

Another example of why the present USB procedure may not be suitable - on one machine, I use a Sony digital camera which, although it seems to use the USB Mass Storage class (not that horrid PTP/MTP stuff), only works with the Sony drivers, not generic ones. If I were to follow the SP procedure and delete the Sony driver and install NUSB in its place, I would no longer be able to access the camera. So why should I be forced to install something if it's just going to break my system?

Joe.

I'm sorry, but since the SP doesn't suit your needs and probably won't and (others), you should look into these packages.

Unofficial Windows 98 SE Upgrade Pack (WUPG) Dozen Afterlife Edition November 2010

Unofficial Windows 98 SE Auto-Patcher v2.60

Unofficial Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE/ME Power Pack (W9xPP) 5.01

Unofficial Windows 98 SE Service Pack 2 (SP2)

You seem to not want to follow instructions like you are exempt. They apply to you too. It doesn't matter what board/chipset. Follow the f***ing instructions or don't use the **** SP.

I tested the PTP/MTP stuff for you, didn't I?

Joe.

I have giving you 11 months of updates, so whats your point?

"full" Nusb

leave USB alone

basic USB Mass Storage only

leaving the final user the choice to do what he/she prefers.

jaclaz

Sorry, but its not going to happen. Thank you for your input. All one needs to do is follow instructions and all will be fine.

Most people that have USB problems are due to not following instructions. We had a big discussion about this already.

One user was able to fix his USB issues by just replacing the standard USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891 with a VIA version and haven't reported problems since then.

The user(s) that don't like it, has the option of not installing the SP or installing the following other packages.

Unofficial Windows 98 SE Upgrade Pack (WUPG) Dozen Afterlife Edition November 2010

About the recovering the old icons: Resource hacker can't handle'em?

So many problems are made by changing some icons

I would have to say, I do not understand English, Spanish no support, no documentation in Spanish, no Latin American would do a translation project

I did everything alone and silently left documentation for future translators, outdated today

Note: Prefer WinME/2K icons were the last bastion WIN9X

Why are we even having a discussion about the icon issue? They are optional.

If you don't want them, then don't check the box, if you do want them then check the box.

This is exactly what I was talking about. When you have the option to do either people still aint happy.

I give up people. I see now why people abandon their projects. What some people are doing is not even feedback, its bul*****.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Sorry, but its not going to happen. Thank you for your input.

No problem, the idea was for a "perfect world" :angel , which this isn't, evidently :no: .

All one needs to do is follow instructions and all will be fine.

Not really (if one wants not - for any reason - the NUSB :ph34r: ), but it's still fair enough :), it's your project and you manage it the way you think fit, that's exactly why I stated how it is not matter for "voting".

A (IMHO) fair request/proposal was submitted, and a (stil IMHO) fair reply (alas negative) has been given, I would say it's time to move on..... :yes:

jaclaz

Not really (if one wants not - for any reason - the NUSB :ph34r: ), but it's still fair enough :), it's your project and you manage it the way you think fit, that's exactly why I stated how it is not matter for "voting".

A (IMHO) fair request/proposal was submitted, and a (stil IMHO) fair reply (alas negative) has been given, I would say it's time to move on..... :yes:

jaclaz

This is why other alternatives exist.

I have said if others wanted this approach then speak up.

So far he is the only one, and I'm not about to rearrange the whole package on his behalf.

He could have said something 7 months ago when they were first added. I agree with you, its time to move on. If I could just picture your facial expression saying, its time to move on, I wil be lmao :w00t:

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD