98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

btw, i have heard about other member project "98 Service Pack 2.1b" that contain file newer than 2.1a can i see the link?

thanks

doesnt seem to be a link for the "98 Service Pack 2.1b". does not exist.

So far I have no problems installing the Win98se Service pack 2.1a. It is when I UN-install (or remove) the Win98se service pack that I have some doubts.

Gape needs to make some changes to the SPUNINST.INF file of the 98se service pack. The current version of the SP (during un-install) will restore the DHTMLED.OCX file with the original one from the Win98se setup files which is a BAD idea for Win98se users who have installed IE 5.01 or better and IE uses that file. Any references to the DHTMLED.OCX file should be removed from the SPUNINST.INF file.

that's just one of my main concerns when un-installing the win98se sp. my other concern is that it will restore the MSMOUSE.VXD file with the original version from the Win98se setup files. This may not be a good idea for Win98se users who have installed the Microsoft Intellipoint Mouse software which has it's own version of the MSMOUSE.VXD file. He may also want to remove references to that file from the SPUNINST.INF file.

-uninstall issues... yes:

-as wonderful as MDGx and Gape/others have been with their packages, honestly, they both have been very remiss with the uninstall/update/modified issues, something which should have been dealt with at the very beginning, especially considering the very "unofficial"-ness of these packages... even evil M$ has taken measures to provide (not-always-reliable) uninstall/version conflict measures, I must admit... I, myself, as a previous commercial programmer, would never have had the gall to offer OS-modifying packages without very reliable, flexible, uninstall options... something other than "well, just backup before you first try it or every time you try an updated version of it"... don't get me wrong, I love these guys, they RULE, but please, it MUST BE DONE... and done reliably... sry

>;]

[...and, again honestly, any time I've tried to uninstall the SP or 98se2me's changes, it's been a nightmare of instability... ]

Edited by PsycoUnc

I remember downloading the WinME Q299014 Help & Support update from WU in summer 2001. This update replaced the older Help & Support update [Q278497] which sometimes hangs while trying to install the files.

Q299014 was removed from WU after MS updated to V4 of the WU site. V4 of Windows Update site started to work for Win98/ME systems in November 2002. Q299014 was featured in V3 of WU.

Thanks, Erp!

So, we have to thank the wonderful "Update" to V4 for this "improvement" to ME.

cjl

your welcome CLASYS.

The V4 Windows Update site started in early 2002 and only worked for Windows XP systems. then MS added support for Windows 2000 systems a few months later and near the end of year 2002, the V4 site started to work for Windows 98 & Millennium.

I long to see all those unofficial Win98/98se updates (such as voltrack.vxd 4.10.1999, update.sys v4.10.2223, krnl386.exe v4.10.1999, ifsmgr.vxd 4.10.2227 < this one is listed at MDGx's web site and unofficial gdi.exe/gdi32.dll v4.10.2226 fix) included in the next release of the Windows 98 SE Service Pack. The ME service pack I am testing has some of the unofficial ME updates included (such as update.sys v4.90.3001, krnl386.exe v4.90.3001 and unofficial gdi.exe/gdi32.dll v4.90.3002 fix).

I'll be glad to see those and other updates added as well [as discussed here previously]

The SP installs the equivalent of Q249635 - USB Driver Uses the Largest Supported Report Size to

fix some USB problems with semi- or more complex device handling. It updates Hidclass.sys to

I installed the USB 2.0 support for the aLi chipset in my USB 2.0 card and it installed ME's version

Any problems here? Is this really the best file for 98SE w/SP 2.1a? [btw, actually installing 249635

does correctly report the ME driver in QFECHECK.]

cjl

ps: Is it me, or is anyone else having problems perusing the forums where the first article or so is

repeated as you advance through the forum pages?

I've been going through my list of available fixes and came upon this one:

Your Computer May Hang While Resuming From Standby Mode with a Removable Device in the Docking Station (252187)

The SP 2.1a seems to install the much-discussed ESDI_506.PDR file version 4.10.0.2225, while the 252187 update installs 4.10.0.2226. Does this revision have any reason to be avoided? Might it impact on the discussion about larger partition sizes?

More to a specific point [why I found it] is that I have a friend with a T20 ThinkPad and a removable LS-120 (as mentioned in the KB252187 article) and a "super-dock" with the UltraBay 2000 in it. It seems he may need this update in order to use the drive in the dock, is this correct? [And not available in SP 2.1a.) [PS: he also has a CD-R/W drive which is dock-worthy; he tends to use the T20 with the UltraBay battery for more total mobile lifetime, etc., and then brings the machine to the dock at his office where the R/W drive also is; I know he can take out the extra battery while on AC power, and put the R/W drive in the machine's UltraBay, but can he do it the way he prefers, i.e., just to dock it?]

Using the LS-120 in the machine's UltraBay, I have built a bootable 98SE[lite-micro] system for maintenance purposes. The whole thing fits in 87 MB not counting the swap file.

I can send Q252187.EXE along to anyone who needs it, etc. The KB article doesn't appear to offer it directly.

cjl

* Microsoft Windows 98 SE Computer Hangs with Removable Device in Docking

Station ESDI_506.PDR build 4.10.2226 Fix:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=252187

Direct download [154 KB, English]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/Q252187.EXE

Install this ESDI_506.PDR Fix ONLY on IBM portables with removable disks!

Install ESDI_506.PDR build 4.10.2225 Fix below on ALL other PCs/portables!

* Microsoft Windows 98/98 SE ScanDisk Errors With (E)IDE Hard Disks > 32 GB

ESDI_506.PDR (build 4.10.2186 for Win98/98 SP1 + build 4.10.2225 for Win98 SE)

Fix:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=243450

Direct download [158 KB, English]:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/win.../243450USA8.EXE

Install this ESDI_506.PDR Fix on ALL PCs/portables EXCEPT IBM portables with

removable disks!

Install ESDI_506.PDR build 4.10.2226 Fix above ONLY on IBM portables with

removable disks!

Hope this helps.

I remember about the not installing the file on other than IBM portables, so yes, what you say is coming back to me, etc.

My specific problem is that the KB article refers to a previous generation to the specific laptop. This one is NOT the 600-x series, but the newer T20. The removables from the mentioned era are called "UltraBay" while on the T20-T23 they're called "UltraBay 2000" not compatible with "UltraBay". To make life more complicated, I have to work on a T30 Thinkpad which uses a quasi-compatible to UltraBay 2000 called "UltraBay Plus" and eventually some quite newer machines using the current generation called "UltraBay Slim". Other than the 2000 and Plus being similar, all of the models are incompatible with each other. However, docks exist that allow crossing the lines, muddying it further. It appears the 600-type model is supported on a newer dock concurrent with the more standard dock associated with the T20 family bearing an internal UltraBay 2000 in it, and that's precisely the dock being used with the T20.

So, is the caveat about which to use particular to the machine? The dock? The combination? [i don't have a 600 to put the super-dock on; I would apply the 2226 patch if I did, just as I would if I had the older dock with the "plain" UltraBay on the 600; But neither of these cases are what I am asking about, etc.]

cjl [clear as mud]

ps: Is there a way to know that something isn't working/in conflict? If the 2226 version fixes something, what does it also break? I am willing to try various hard disks, test partition schemes and/or programs if need be, as I have available a 60 GB that is compatible with all of them [7200 RPM, 9.5 ms seek, 2.5" Hitachi/IBM Travelstar; it belongs with the T20 which is running a goodly amount faster with this 60 in it than the original 4200 RPM 12 GB that was in it!], as well as that 12 GB itself, and a 40 GB 5400 RPM that belongs in the T30. And of course all sorts of desktop scenarios just to reveal what the restriction actually breaks if need be.

Hi,

sorry for posting again. My story is on the last 2 pages. Everything works. I did a new installation. This time i installed the drivers before the SP. The order of installation has no effect. I needed one more restart because one application that belongs to a driver needed a restart aftrer updating msvcrt, -vcp and mfc42. When i installed this app after SP all theses files where already there. The effect with the networkoptions is still the same. The first time i clicked ok in network options windows was updating the driver-database (i hope this is the correct translation from german). And everytime after clicking ok, even without clicking anything else than ok, windows copies ndis.vxd from sp2 and a second file wich i can't catch because the windows disappears too fast.

Bye,

Don't get me wrong. I am not for forcing good tools on chickens who are afraid of trying it.

But read my lips for once: WINTOP WORKS FOR ME ON WINDOWS 98SE.

Sorry, I don't care that the page says win95 only.

Btw,

If you like wintop and want something a little more technical detail in the display I highly recommend taskinfo from http://www.iarsn.com/taskinfo.html and ProcessExplorer from http://www.sysinternals.com. I have used taskinfo on win9x machine for several years without problem, and the other one looks good too. I suppose the point is not every on would want wintop but I do agree an option to slip it in might be good. :D

Edited  by relay12

In Service Pack 2.1a can be found the following file:

09/25/2000 11:48p 4.71.3336.0 329,488 Rpcrt4.dll

which apparently comes from the Q269874.exe file associated with the KB269874 article:

DCOM IStream::Write() Corrupts Data with No Error Return

Anyone have this fix?

I *almost* have it, in that it's available on many ftp websites, usually associated with many other fixes, in an archive generally known as cpatch.

The problem is that this one is stored in a self-extracting zip executable archive with a password set.

I can point or send anyone to the file offering to crack the password, etc.

cjl

ps: If not from 269874, where did Rpcrt4.dll come from?

Also found in this CPATCH archive is the cht version of 306889, which supplies the version of apmbatt.sys found in SP 2.1a. Anyone have the usa version of this? [The apmbatt.sys file itself is the usa-en version of the file or there are no language-specific variations of the file; was this how it was added to the SP?]

Alternatively, can anyone modify the cht version to usa-en or other language versions?

cjl

In Service Pack 2.1a can be found the following file:

09/25/2000 11:48p 4.71.3336.0 329,488 Rpcrt4.dll

which apparently comes from the Q269874.exe file associated with the KB269874 article:

DCOM IStream::Write() Corrupts Data with No Error Return

Anyone have this fix?

I *almost* have it, in that it's available on many ftp websites, usually associated with many other fixes, in an archive generally known as cpatch.

The problem is that this one is stored in a self-extracting zip executable archive with a password set.

I can point or send anyone to the file offering to crack the password, etc.

cjl

ps: If not from 269874, where did Rpcrt4.dll come from?

Do you mean http://ftp.ntu.edu.tw/ftp//cpatch/msupdate.../269874usa8.exe for example? It is not password protected.

Petr

Also found in this CPATCH archive is the cht version of 306889, which supplies the version of apmbatt.sys found in SP 2.1a. Anyone have the usa version of this? [The apmbatt.sys file itself is the usa-en version of the file or there are no language-specific variations of the file; was this how it was added to the SP?]

Alternatively, can anyone modify the cht version to usa-en or other language versions?

cjl

http://ftp.mdgx.com/files/Q306889.EXE

Petr

DCOM98 RPCRT4.DLL build 4.71.3336 Fix for Windows 98/ME:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=269874

- RPCRT4.DLL Patch for Windows ME [296 KB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/ME269874.EXE

- RPCRT4.DLL Patch for Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE [1.39 MB]:

http://ftp.isu.edu.tw/pub/CPatch/msupdate/.../269874usa8.exe

These patches posted here:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#COM

Hope this helps.

Thanks, guys! As always, you are all the best!

Petr: At the site I found there is this "other" Q269874.EXE, and it is a password-protected self-extracting zip archive. I suspect because the site is cht [Chinese-Taiwan]-oriented, this is some augmentation for local language-specifics; clearly the one you pointed me to is for the usa-en version.

I'm almost done getting all of the QFECHECK-worthy updates [well, all I know of!] into a batch of START /WAIT xxxxxx.exe /q:a /r:n command lines, so that the SP 2.1a augmented by installing all of these updates agree with each other [well, after a reboot!].

I assume there is no reason not to do both, but a question:

Does it matter which order?

Here's what should be an easy one:

I have Q246817.EXE. Does this also cover KB246615 as well?

cjl