98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

Hah, finally I got my pw back (in mind)!!

So first of all I'd like to say: "Thank you problemchyld!!"

Now before testing your stuff, could someone please tell me a reliable os-backup-software that works with win98se ?!?!

I got 2 hdds over here, but I guess just copying the win-dir over as a backup won't work...

Thanks again.

Hah, finally I got my pw back (in mind)!!

So first of all I'd like to say: "Thank you problemchyld!!"

Now before testing your stuff, could someone please tell me a reliable os-backup-software that works with win98se ?!?!

I got 2 hdds over here, but I guess just copying the win-dir over as a backup won't work...

Thanks again.

Windows 98 has a native backup function (Start --> Accessories --> System Tools --> Backup) which seems to do a complete disk backup; at least the size of the archive files created seems to parallel the size of the hard drive's contents.

I've used it (putting the backup on USB thumb drives), but I should say that I've never actually tried to restore a hard disk from it so I can't state for certain that it works.

Good luck!

--JorgeA

FlipX

A simple copy of the files on a CD-R/DVD-R or on another HDD, or on another medium is enough to restore 95% of your system.

Remains the registry but a registry backup is also present among the files you will copy as a back-up.

If your system files back up is not too old, it will be possible to restore a valid registry after copying all the files back.

Then normaly 99% is restored. (Save 1% of unkowns.)

Note that recopying the files back may have to be done through another OS (if any) or through DOS or through a boot Floppy or boot CD.

All these methods may require some knowledge so take the time to look for the informations and how-to about the way you will restore/recopy your files in case of problem.

Also read the IMPORTANT NOTICE on the u98sesp's webpage.

There is a rapid summary on how to do this.

Of course all other, more complete and more advanced methods presented by all the smart poeple here are also valid.

Edited by Fredledingue

@PROBLEMCHYLD

Why didn't you include Apmbatt.sys 4.10.2227 from 306889?

The file inside the hotfix is Apmbatt.sys 4.10.0.2224

My apologies. My notes are wrong and I didn't check the file. Since, after my initial PM to you, I hadn't heard back that the update was surplus, I wondered if there was another reason for its exclusion.

...why not? ;)

I mean to choose whatever suits me best, works best when I know what's there to choose from..

But you don't know of any problem the backup software can produce and out of that reason didn't mention it, right??

Oh and btw.

One problem with new software is that it might install some new incompatible systemfiles, is it a good idea to protect some files from overwriting?? ..Like in "modern" windows..

This is NOT a backup topic. START your own topic and quit getting on my nerves :realmad::realmad:

Thanks to tomasz86 for suggesting a free and very able alternative to the proprietary Ghost (helps to counterbalance some of the less charitable replies :whistle: )

Added HIDCLASS.SYS 5.0.2163.1 Windows 2000

Added HIDPARSE.SYS 5.1.2600.5512 XPSP3

Added HIDUSB.SYS 5.1.2600.5512 XPSP3

Added HIDVKD.SYS 4.90.3000.0 WinME CD

Added ROOTSUPD April 2012

Added SBP2PORT.SYS 4.90.3002.0

Added SBP2SCAN.SYS 4.90.3000.0 WinME CD

Added USBCAMD.SYS 4.90.3000.0 WinME CD

Added USBCAMD2.SYS 4.10.0.1998 WinME CD

Added USBHUB.SYS 5.0.2195.7006 Windows 2000 SP5

Added USBINTEL.SYS 4.90.3000.0 WinME CD

Added USBUI.DLL 4.90.0.3000 WinME CD

Updated USBSTOR.INF

I have been testing USBHUB.SYS 5.0.2195.7006 Windows 2000 SP5. It works with no issues on intel boards. :w00t:

I'm not sure what troubles it will bring for VIA controllers/chipsets. :}

@PROBLEMCHYLD

It's Usbhub.sys 5.0.2195.7006 buggy?

I don't have a USB modem, but I do have digital cams/usb flash drives. It works on my system with no problems. Some say other files were buggy, but I added them to service pack. You get better results on a clean install. I prefer to test on a clean install, that way you are only dealing with system files. You are able to pinpoint problems that way. :lol: Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Funny how some useful posts vanish... ...bloating a 70page thread, haha...

However, just have a look at the u98sesp3-dl-page. In big red letter there is written:"ALL THE PROBLEMS AND ISSUES WHATEVER THEY ARE CONCERNING U98SESP3.EXE MUST BE POSTED ON THE FORUM."

And if one recommends making a backup, why not tell how??

Especially if the answer can be as simple as "http://clonezilla.org/" ..thanks for the hint again..

Funny how some useful posts vanish... ...bloating a 70page thread, haha...

However, just have a look at the u98sesp3-dl-page. In big red letter there is written:"ALL THE PROBLEMS AND ISSUES WHATEVER THEY ARE CONCERNING U98SESP3.EXE MUST BE POSTED ON THE FORUM."

And if one recommends making a backup, why not tell how??

Especially if the answer can be as simple as "http://clonezilla.org/" ..thanks for the hint again..

No posts have vanished, they've just been moved here:

;)

[i have been testing USBHUB.SYS 5.0.2195.7006 Windows 2000 SP5. It works with no issues on intel boards. :w00t:

I'm not sure what troubles it will bring for VIA controllers/chipsets. :}

@PROBLEMCHYLD

It's Usbhub.sys 5.0.2195.7006 buggy?

I don't have a USB modem, but I do have digital cams/usb flash drives. It works on my system with no problems. Some say other files were buggy, but I added them to service pack. You get better results on a clean install. I prefer to test on a clean install, that way you are only dealing with system files. You are able to pinpoint problems that way. :lol:

The specific bug I saw mentioned in those links seems to only apply to a USB1 modem under Win2K. Windows 9x has it's own native USB1 driver stack and AFAIK does not use the USB2 drivers at all for USB1 hardware. :unsure:

Probably needs further/broader testing.

EDIT: :blushing: Misread. See next posts.

Edited by LoneCrusader

The specific bug I saw mentioned in those links seems to only apply to a USB1 modem under Win2K. Windows 9x has it's own native USB1 driver stack and AFAIK does not use the USB2 drivers at all for USB1 hardware. :unsure:

Probably needs further/broader testing.

:ph34r:

Hang on a sec, I think I may have misread. :}

I thought you had found a newer Win2K "USBHUB20.SYS."

If it is indeed just "USBHUB.SYS" it will replace a 98SE USB1 driver stack file. Not to say that it may not work fine under 98SE, just needs more extensive tests.

Trust me, I've been seeing a lot of headache with USB driver stack files lately. Not as much as someone else I know, but enough. :whistle::angel

:ph34r:

Hang on a sec, I think I may have misread.

If it is indeed just "USBHUB.SYS" it will replace a 98SE USB1 driver stack file. Not to say that it may not work fine under 98SE, just needs more extensive tests.

Trust me, I've been seeing a lot of headache with USB driver stack files lately. Not as much as someone else I know, but enough. :whistle::angel

OK :o It'll be a few months before I release 3.1. Hopefully someone with a USB modem can test. Thanks again LC B)

The version in the service pack is definitely the last for Win98.

Have you notice in the spoiler, only newer files from 2000/WinXP will be added.

I also added WinME USB only files.. MDGx 98SE2ME can take care of people who want to swap out files.

We are @ about 300 downloads on SP3 and only had a few problems. I have to say we all have done a great job.

Now that we have all the Win98SE updates, I can focus on newer files from 2000/WinXP :w00t:

WDMSTUB.SYS does work wonders, but unless more functions get added to the STUB then we will be cut off.

I have been testing wifi/wireless cards, and have posted the missing functions in the proper thread.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Hopefully someone with a USB modem can test.

Ok, i have a couple of USB tele modems (not currently installed) and would be willing to test, but here's the rub:

1) The system i've been using to test uSP 3.0 final is kind of ancient (PII/i440) and only has USB 1.1.

2) My main system is somewhat newer (P4/i845) and has USB 2.0, but i'd have to first install uSP 3.0 final over currently-installed uSP 3.0b4. I'd be a bit nervous about doing that over the next couple of weeks, because it's my primary link to work and the 'net... and i have some work projects that'll be due. For the same reasons, i can't do a new, clean install right now.

But i do want to help the project along, so maybe i'll just bite the bullet and give it a go anyway. Let me ponder.... Any feedback is appreciated....

- Doug B.