98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

Thanks dencorso :thumbup

What I will do is come up with something for VIA controllers. In the meantime I'll leave it out.

I can't test the VIA stuff but if someone is more familiar with them and have it working please post some documentation so I can add it to the USB 2.0 NOTICE. Thanks

Regarding the VIA USB2 Controllers Issue -

My suggestion on how to handle this would be to create a SFX installer package that contains the latest VIA USB2 stack, along with an INF, say "USB2VIA.INF" that contains ONLY the information for VIA USB 2 devices. You could take the USB2.INF from NUSB3.5 and simply edit out the information for all manufacturers except VIA, and see that this INF has a later timestamp than the one in NUSB.

Then, when installed, this INF should be detected as an "Updated" Driver for the VIA hardware, rather than the older timestamped USB2.INF from NUSB.

Care will have to be taken as to where the USB2VIA.INF pulls its driver files from though, as the VIA USB2 stack files have the same name as the Win2K files...

Regarding the VIA USB2 Controllers Issue -

My suggestion on how to handle this would be to create a SFX installer package that contains the latest VIA USB2 stack, along with an INF, say "USB2VIA.INF" that contains ONLY the information for VIA USB 2 devices. You could take the USB2.INF from NUSB3.5 and simply edit out the information for all manufacturers except VIA, and see that this INF has a later timestamp than the one in NUSB.

Then, when installed, this INF should be detected as an "Updated" Driver for the VIA hardware, rather than the older timestamped USB2.INF from NUSB.

Care will have to be taken as to where the USB2VIA.INF pulls its driver files from though, as the VIA USB2 stack files have the same name as the Win2K files...

Then it shouldn't be a problem for me. I will add the VIA controllers.

Thanks LoneCrusader :thumbup

@PROBLEMCHYLD: Here's my original post regarding USBHUB20 and the VIA chipsets, just to keep things as together as possible:

I confirm xRayeR's results:

In my experience, the last USBPORT.SYS to work OK in Win 98SE is v. 5.0.2195.5652, while for USBSTOR.SYS (in case one installs it with WDMSTUB.SYS v. 5.0.0.6 from NUSB30E) it's v. 5.0.2195.6773 (from KB823086). And for USBEHCI.SYS, the latest version that works is v. 5.0.2195.6882 (the latest available for W2k, check it here). Now, in what regards USBHUB20.SYS, it's more complicated: almost all chipsets work ok with v. 5.0.2195.6891, but VIA's don't. For VIA's chipsets, one needs VIA's own USBHUB20.SYS v. 4.90.3000.11 (findable inside VIA_USB2_V270p1-L-M), in order to avoid BSOD's on removing (hot-deplugging) USB 2.0 HUBs from the machine. Note that it must be substituted by hand, in true DOS, because NUSB3.3 contains v. 5.0.2195.6891, so it's really a downgrade.

Also non-letal BSODs are possible when disabling/removing controller or hub.

This issue mentioned by Tihiy is precisely the one due to USBHUB20.SYS v. 5.0.2195.6891 and VIA chipsets. While one can recover from the BSOD, the only sensible thing to do at that point is to restart or shutdown the machine.

Yippe! I did have a USBHUB20.SYS v. 4.90.3000.11 that I found last week. Just booted the sp3 Compaq 6350 into dos and replaced the existing usbhub20 with the via.. rebooted... and voila ... no bsod or crashes anywhere in sight. I've been plugging and unplugging various flash drives for the last 20 minutes and each new one is recognized and the system plays nice when I remove any of them. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks you guys.

One system down and five more to test. This is fun.

@billyb: glad it worked! :yes:

@PROBLEMCHYLD: By careful editing of the appropriate .inf, using USB2VIA.inf from the VIA driver package as a guide for the list of relevant VEN&DEV entries, you can cause either of the USBHUB20s to load, without any user intervention...

Previously I had some differences in behaviour when plugging USB drives before and after boot. As I recall they were shutdown issues. I thought that it was caused by KernelEx. After some reinstallations and updates of KernelEx and NUSB the problem gone. However, I'm not very sure it's your case.

OK guys, now that we stirred the pot, let me add some confusion in! :whistle: Below you'll see my current configuration for the on-board VIA Tech 3038 USB 1.1 controller, to which a VIA VT6202 USB 2.0 PCI to USB Adapter adds. As you will notice, there is no single driver pertaining to VIA in this configuration, yet it works.

Truth be told, I can't vouch for no BSOD ever or no other problems, just that I can't remember any, other than some composite devices such as the Bluetooth dongle not being recognized. For whoever has spare time and is willing to test such configuration, here you are:

(3x) VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller:
- SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\UHCD.SYS 4.90.3000.1 (Microsoft Corp.)
- SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\USBD.SYS 4.90.3000.1 (Microsoft Corp.)
- SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\USBHUB.SYS 4.90.3002.1 (Microsoft Corp.)
- SYSTEM\usbui.dll 4.10.2222 (Microsoft Corp.)
- SYSTEM\hotplug.dll 4.10.2224 (Microsoft Corp.)
- SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD (NTKERN.VXD)

(3x) USB Root Hub:
- SYSTEM\DRIVERS\USBHUB.SYS 5.00.2195.6689 (Microsoft Corp.)
- SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\USBCCGP.SYS 5.1.2600.5585 (xpsp_sp3_qfe.080422-1455) (Microsoft Corp.)

VIA VT6202 USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller:
- SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\USBPORT.SYS 5.00.2195.5652 (Microsoft Corp.)
- SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\USBEHCI.SYS 5.00.2195.6882 (Microsoft Corp.)

USB 2.0 Root Hub:
- SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\USBHUB20.SYS 5.00.2195.6891 (Microsoft Corp.)

All mass storage devices report as 'upperfilters':
- SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\USBNTMAP.SYS 4.90.3000 (Microsoft Corp.)

Probably used when mass storage devices are plugged in:
- SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\USBSTOR.SYS 4.90.3000.1 (Microsoft Corp.)

All is still fine with usb on the Compaq. I do have a question though. Is it unusual that there is no mention of via anywhere in the device manager? In fact when I have this machine set up for xp, I never notice the info on that setup anywhere either.

The only reason I knew that the usb in this machine uses Via drivers is from a small cryptic note about it on the Compaq website. Other than that, I've never noticed a reference to via anywhere in device manager or on (I think) Everest when I fired that up one time. Where would that info usually be? Especially since the usbhub20.sys name is the same.

Edited by billyb

Actually it is unusual. As you see in my previous post, all USB controllers are listed as VIA, whether it's 3038 or VT6202.

Open RegEdit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Enum > USB > ROOT_HUB (or ROOT_HUB20 if you only have a 2.0 controller and not a 1.0-1.1) and look at the strings that make the name(s), they should be in the form PCI&VEN_xxxx&DEV_xxxx&SUBSYS_xxxxxxxx&REV_xx and so on. What we're interested in is the VEN_ and DEV_ part, which make up the vendor ID and the device ID. If vendor ID is 1106, then you have a VIA controller. If it's 8086, it's an Intel. Can't remember the others right now but you may search the web for details if string has other identifiers.

Edited by Drugwash

Just swapped usbhub20.sys files back and forth and here's what I know. Don't know how to interpret this. ...

The usbhub20.sys file that came with sp3 is 50,032 in size and causes bsod and crashes if I plug in a usb flash drive.It's name in regedit is -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\USB\ROOT_HUB20\PCI&VEN_8086&DEV_24CD&SUBSYS_80891043&REV_01&BUS_00&DEV_1D&FUNC_07

For Via, I have the Viausb2v270-l set of "stuff" and from within its Win98me folder, I pulled out the usbhub20.sys file there. The size on that one is 67,568

When I rename the 50,032 size usbhub20 file and replace it with the one from the Via folder that is 67,568 .. the computer works fine with all usb flash drives.

Although, in regedit, the actual info is just like the file I took out. It shows ID info-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\USB\ROOT_HUB20\PCI&VEN_8086&DEV_24CD&SUBSYS_80891043&REV_01&BUS_00&DEV_1D&FUNC_07

I rebooted a few times, swapped the files a few times, and although (to my eyes) they show the same name and ID info ... AND ... still don't say Via anywhere.. the only thing I know is that the file that is 67.568 in size (and came from the Via folder I have... is the one that works.

Like I say, I dunno what this all means. The only reference I have from HP/Compaq regarding "Via" is their reference to it for xp users of my machine (Presario VIA USB 2.0 Driver for Windows XP) so that's why I have been figuring there is Via something or other in there.

Whatever this all means, I'm glad the system is working.

Edited by billyb

@Drugwash: Get yourself any US$ 1 USB 2.0 hub, but make sure it's really 2.0, not a 1.1 fake (you can check that with USBView). Insert it, let it be recognized. Insert any pendrive in it, let it be recognized. Copy a small file to the pendrive, open and read it, then close it and delete it. Than remove safely the pendrive. Now you're all set. The hub is not a mass storage device, so it does not create an entry in the safe removal dialogue, nor should it, in fact. So yank it out and: boom! BSOD. But it's a mild one: hit enter and you'll get back to windows, and it will be good enough to allow shut down or reboot. It never failed to happen for me, until I downgraded the USBHUB20 to 4.90.3000.11... and I've never seen it again ever since. It was the only issue I had, though, but many others reported worse issues, just like billyb... so I think how serious the issue may be might be hardware dependent (so YMMV). That's all I know about it. I found it was USBHUB20.SYS by trial-and-error. And I think Tihiy's remark quoted below is the 1st report of this issue here in MSFN, but Tihiy seems to be reporting 2nd-hand info he got from Russian forums:

There are also reports of BSODs when installing flash drives first time. They seem to be fixed in future NUSB.

Also non-letal BSODs are possible when disabling/removing controller or hub. Please test those cases.

@billyb: With the 67,568 bytes file named USBHUB20.SYS, open Windows Explorer, go to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS, highlight USBHUB20.SYS, right-click on it, select "Properties" and select the tab "Version" and in the list box below click on "Company". You'll see:

Company: VIA Technologies, INC.

And also:

Copyright: Copyright © VIA Technologies, INC. 2002-2005

Do the same procedure to the renamed 50,032 and you'll see Microsoft in both places. :)

Dunno what to say... if I had $1, I'd buy myself something to eat. :)

Seriously now, I do have something like a hub in form of a Lexmark X11xx combo (scanner + printer) which appears as a Generic hub in DM (which I did not mention in the list above). Just plugged it out and back in - nothing unusual. I also charge my phone's battery from this computer's USB (a Huawei U1220s) but that thing is not recognized since the "good guys" from the Far East didn't bother to build 9x drivers for it; still, it doesn't disturb the system in any way when un/pluggin it.

As for billyb: man, the string says you got an Intel controller. That 8086 is their unmistakable brand (remember the 8086 CPU?). However, the SUBSYS section says it's being distributed by ASUSTeK (1043 seems to be their vendor ID). That particular SUBSYS combination does not appear in my database, but the main one clearly shows "USB EHCI controller by Intel Corporation". I have no idea how come the VIA driver works fine with that controller and the MS one doesn't... :wacko: