98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

Thats because I'm using Xeno86 patched VCACHE.VXD and MaxPhysPage 40000 was considered the best setting.

Are you using rloew Ram patch?

I haven't heard of Xeno86 patched VCACHE.VXD, so I'm obviously not using it. I'm also not using rloew's patch either.

In any case, SP3 shouldn't make assumption about what may be installed, and should just leave MaxPhysPage as-is.

It has been included in the Service Pack for a while now, before I started to update it.

In that case I guess I've been using it; however, the MaxPhysPage setting still crashes the computer I'm current;y working on.

Since this subject has come up, I feel that it is worth mentioning here that any fiddling with MaxPhysPage and such settings in regard to RAM ALWAYS produced unstable and unpredictable results on my systems. I tried several years back to change these settings in order to use 1.5GB of RAM. It never worked, period. I know some have had success in this area, but I believe it is very much a "YMMV" issue, and I agree that a Service Pack should not change these settings. This is one of the main things that makes me "not a fan" of unofficial Service Packs. :angel

Aurgathor's machine, however is *very peculiar*, because it's the only know case one has to limit the memory to 256 MiB (that's what MaxPhysPage=10000 means!) to be able to run (when the whole world and their cousins ran Win 98SE on bare 512 MiB with absolutely no tweaks, in the last years of the good ol' days when 9x/ME were near everybody's main OS).

Of course that is bound to be caused by his memory-hungry video card, and possibly also too big an AGP aperture. It should, by no means, be taken as a *typical* setup.

@billyb: Is your board VIA based? If so revert usbhub20.sys to the one in VIA's USB 2.0 pack. It may do the trick.

I just installed sp3, rebooted into safe mode, removed every reference to usb that I could find, rebooted, and sp3 went through several usb database building messages and then the computer came up.

If I'm not mistaken, the documentation reads that at this point one should reboot again. This may be the tiny difference; otherwise please do try the VIA driver rollback suggested above, only in case your USB controller is VIA-based.

While I'm here, let me congratulate with PROBLEMCHYLD for his hard work. Hopefully I'll find some spare time & parts to build a test machine; preferrably in this life. Sorry for not being helpful enough, especially lately.

Good luck with SP 3.1! ;)

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with VB, not to that point; I can do small changes/fixes based on similarities with other languages or by trial & error, but that's about it.

These last few days I've been trying to build a small app that'd automatically remove all USB-related devices/controllers/etc from a system in Normal mode, in view of installing NUSB 3.5 (or later). However, so far I've failed, partly due to incomplete/erroneous documentation from M$ and partly due to uncooperative setupapi.dll/cfgmgr32.dll API under 9x. :( I'll keep trying though, maybe with alternative methods, if possible.

Thing is, if any kind of drivers have been installed by Windows upon normal installation, there's chance the USB chipset(s) can be read from the registry; VIA has Vendor ID 1106 and Device IDs are 3038 for USB 1.1 (PCI to USB UHCI) and 3104 for USB 2.0 (VT6202 EHCI). Please note there may be other Device IDs besides these - that's all I have on my main machine though (the VT6202 is actually a PCI to USB adapter card).

If Windows did not install any drivers for the USB chipset(s), then BIOS functions should be used; I don't know if there's any Windows API (or which ones they may be) that can read the devices detected by the BIOS. Of course, the Unknown Devices in Device Manager have their correspondence in registry but at this point I'm not sure where exactly and how are they located there - maybe under ENUM\PCI\Unknown device or something.

Please bear in mind that a machine may have more than one USB controller (as in my case) and they could be from different manufacturers.

I think what I'll do is, just add the VIA-Base driver.

That way, all that has to be done while already in safe mode is delete the obsolete driver.

I'll have to get the latest driver. If anybody have the lastest VIA driver, please send it to me or post it.

I been doing this for a while now so I thought I would post it. I have a NEC USB 2.0 PCMCIA adapter.

It requires the OrangeWare USB 2.0 drivers, but I don't need or have them installed.

The service pack took care of the issue by using NUSB which uses the file USBEHCI.SYS 5.0.2195.6882.

I will leave the MDAC option alone even though it works just to be safe.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Thanks Drugwash :thumbup

I think the only file I need is USBHUB20.SYS 4.90.3000.11. I will place it in the SP3.CAB as VSBHUB20.SYS.

If people are using VIA chipsets, then all they would have to do while already in safe mode

is delete USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891

and rename VSBHUB20.SYS to USBHUB20.SYS. That should take care all of the USB issues. Can anyone confirm this?

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Hmmm, don't be so hasty. I already warned about mixed controllers. What happens if one has a - say - Intel on-board USB 2.0 controller and a VIA-based PCI to USB adapter in a PCI slot? There's a reason people might want such configuration, mainly due to insufficient ports (some old boards only have 2 USB ports but even 4 may not be enough - that's up to each user's needs).

I think there has to be a configuration inf that assigns the correct driver to each controller and that inf has yet to be designed. Otherwise it'll be a mess. Any other opinions, anyone?

This Compaq 6350us has an Asus P4G533-LA motherboard 845GL chipset and a via usb. Sold in 2003 as an xp machine, but I have all the necessary win98 drivers for the intel chip, intel graphics chip, realtek etc .

I was gathering some extra Via drivers last week in case needed, I have usbhub20.sys 4.90.3000.2........... and I also have usbhub20.sys 4.90.3000.11 sitting around.

I've not done this part before. Do I simply copy one of those into the system32 area, renaming the old one there now? I didn't see an upgrade driver box in device manager that seems to work for these types of files.

Thanks guys.

Edited by billyb

Problemchild, you won't be bored here for sure. The more you give, the more people will want.

It's good the thread didn't die with SP3 "finnished"...new issues/questions/etc comes up, making it all interesting to follow.

Do I simply copy one of those into the system32 area, renaming the old one there now? I didn't see an upgrade driver box in device manager that seems to work for these types of files.

If you only have one USB controller on that machine, I'd say it'd be safe to just swap the files. There is still some reservation, as I see the root hub on my machine also depends on VMM32.VXD, which is a file buit ad-hoc from other files, so there's a slight chance of incompatibility if they don't play well together. But swapping back the old file should fix it right away, in case anything bad happens.

However,if you have more than one USB controler (I don't know the board and can't go searching its manual now), then you'll have to place the new file in SYSTEM32\DRIVERS only after renaming it to something else (make sure the name stays within the 8+3 character boundaries) and after that, you'll have to locate the proper registry keys pertaining to that particular hub/controller and redirect them to the new file. Which is a bit of a dangerous mission if you haven't done registry work before. It's not recommended to tamper with the registry as it can render the machine unbootable.

Can't say more, because looking at my own USB-related settings in Device Manager, it's a total mess there. Just... be careful and backup any files you replace, plus the registry (type scanregw /backup at a command prompt).

Aurgathor's machine, however is *very peculiar*, because it's the only know case one has to limit the memory to 256 MiB (that's what MaxPhysPage=10000 means!) to be able to run (when the whole world and their cousins ran Win 98SE on bare 512 MiB with absolutely no tweaks, in the last years of the good ol' days when 9x/ME were near everybody's main OS).

Of course that is bound to be caused by his memory-hungry video card, and possibly also too big an AGP aperture. It should, by no means, be taken as a *typical* setup.

Maybe I didn't state it explicitly before, but if I have 512 meg or less physical memory in said machine, it will run just fine without any tweak or mod. The issues start when I exceed that limit.

The intention was (is?) to dual boot 98SE/2K, but due to driver issues on the 2K side, I may just make it a 98SE only box with 512 meg.

Aurgathor, would you try some simple tests for my hipothesis?

Does your motherboard have onboard video or, if not, can you get hold of a nVidia GeForce 2 or later, but up to 4?

I'm pretty sure all your problems stem from how your video card uses memory in the System Arena.

Thanks Drugwash :thumbup

I think the only file I need is USBHUB20.SYS 4.90.3000.11. I will place it in the SP3.CAB as VSBHUB20.SYS.

If people are using VIA chipsets, then all they would have to do while already in safe mode

is delete USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891

and rename VSBHUB20.SYS to USBHUB20.SYS. That should take care all of the USB issues. Can anyone confirm this?

Unless there are multiple USB2 controllers from different manufacturers, as Drugwash already pointed out, it should work all right.

This Compaq 6350us has an Asus P4G533-LA motherboard 845GL chipset and a via usb. Sold in 2003 as an xp machine, but I have all the necessary win98 drivers for the intel chip, intel graphics chip, realtek etc .

I was gathering some extra Via drivers last week in case needed, I have usbhub20.sys 4.90.3000.2........... and I also have usbhub20.sys 4.90.3000.11 sitting around.

I've not done this part before. Do I simply copy one of those into the system32 area, renaming the old one there now? I didn't see an upgrade driver box in device manager that seems to work for these types of files.

Thanks guys.

From true DOS, you simply rename the old one and copy in the substitute, so yes. But it cannot be done from inside Windows.

And it probably will be innefective, unless you do have a VIA controller.