98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

I get this error when I install MDAC 2.8SP1 with all options checked in the service pack.

The weird thing is, when you run the MDAC option by itself everything installs without errors

or when you install all options without MDAC you get no errors. Anyone know how to fix this?

Note that "Performance Tweaks" and "Power Management Trouble Shooter" options were grayed out -- "Performance Tweaks" probably because it has 96mb RAM (uSP 3.0 uses 128mb as the limit, whereas uSP 2.1a used 64mb), but i'm not sure why "Power Management Trouble Shooter" was grayed out.

- Doug B.

It was a bug, thanks to you I was able to fix it instantly. People have to understand what I mean by testing. We are (NOT)

here to see if the files work, we are here to make sure they all install correctly along with the registry keys. We know the files work

because we have been using them for years. Thanks for testing. I will send you a sneak peak of the final build.

Problemchyld,

Just like that: Try to set a "wait" time (or delay) in the installation script.

Maybe the computer needs a rest, or need to finish a task even if this task is reportedly finished.

In DOS you can run wait.exe, a small executable which does only that.

3 independant versions here:

http://www.createwindow.com/raewebsite/rae-watx.htm

or

'>http://www.petersen.de/content/contenido-4.6.4/cms/front_content.php?idart=163

or

'>http://dpotter.net/technical/2007/09/utility-to-wait-for-a-process-waitexe/

I suggest to set a 3 second delay between each update.

(you can't have fractions of a second unfortunately).

As MDGX used to say: HTH

I suggest adding a warning to the package or the page that says something like this :

"if you have previously installed autopatcher then DO NOT install uSP3, it will result in unbootable windows (including safe mode)"

I suggest adding a warning to the package or the page that says something like this :

"if you have previously installed autopatcher then DO NOT install uSP3, it will result in unbootable windows (including safe mode)"

Now I see why people are having trouble with the service pack. Some people are too lazy to back up their systems. Some people are too lazy to try the service pack on a clean install. So when the problems occur, due to negligence, it's not my fault. I don't even test SP3 with SP2 because of all the changes. I have invested 8 months day and night to get where I'm @ with the service pack. I can handle constructive criticism and negative feedback.

What I can't handle is people not following instructions by not reading the fine print. I have never heard the term until dencorso posted it. PEBCAK.

It's been posted many times not to mix these packages with each other.

Unofficial Windows 98 SE Upgrade Pack (WUPG) Dozen Afterlife Edition November 2010
Unofficial Windows 98 SE Auto-Patcher v2.60
Unofficial Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE/ME Power Pack (W9xPP) 5.01
Unofficial Windows 98 SE Service Pack 2 (SP2)

Anyway, i installed no manufacturer-provided USB device drivers, and my USB flash discs, Zip drive, portable harddisk, diskette drives, camera (which appears as a flash disc), and a multi-card reader (which appears as multiple "Generic Storage Device"s) all installed ok after plugging them in. (The other card reader was not so lucky -- identified as "eUSB SmartMedia Adapter" -- Windows couldn't find a suitable driver. And i did have to tell the system that the portable harddisk was "removable" via Device Manager > Disk Drives > Settings; otherwise, it acted quirky.)

- Doug B.

Can you list the drivers for your device so it can be added to the USB files? Thank you for testing on a clean install.

When I release the final version Monday, it should be smooth sailing.

Looking forward to Monday! I still don't know what PEBCAK means. I'm standing by with my trusty windows 98se install cds, misc drivers, and six completely different old systems with drives empty and formatted and ready to roll.

Edited by billyb

Looking forward to Monday! I still don't know what PEBCAK means. I'm standing by with my trusty windows 98se install cds, misc drivers, and six completely different old systems with drives empty and formatted and ready to roll.

Service Pack 3 won't let you down.

PEBCAK :)

Wow!! What a surprise! There's a final SP 3.0!! I guess that's what I get when I miss a year. ;)

Congrats for finishing it up, but I have a few nags:

1) why did "command prompt here" get removed?

2) how can I view a folder as webpage? As of B4, there used to be an option to set that , but it's no more...

3) what happened with the "Quick launch" toolbar? Not able to find it or enable it...

Lastly, I saw that windowsupdate related files were removed, but the entry in the start menu was left there, so I could still click it, though obviously it didn't work.

TIA

Edited by aurgathor

Wow!! What a surprise! There's a final SP 3.0!! I guess that's what I get when I miss a year. ;)

The final version will be release Monday, April 23, 2012.

1) why did "command prompt here" get removed?

It was more of an tweak than enhancement.

2) how can I view a folder as webpage? As of B4, there used to be an option to set that , but it's no more...

Not in this package.

3) what happened with the "Quick launch" toolbar? Not able to find it or enable it...

This service pack has nothing to do with anything Quick launch related.

Just like that: Try to set a "wait" time (or delay) in the installation script.

Maybe the computer needs a rest, or need to finish a task even if this task is reportedly finished.

When installing MDAC, it eats up all the memory.

I have tried different combinations of installations with the same results. I believe its a memory leak.

The only way I know how to fix it, is to install Mdac separately from all the other options.

So overall, i'm quite impressed with the ease of installation, up-to-date-ness, and increase in functionality that uSP provides. (Except for the "Win95 Shell Swap" option as previously mentioned -- watch out!) It makes re-installing Windows 98SE *so* much-less painful and tedious... and much-less "hit and miss". Kudos!

I have removed the Win95 shell swap option in the final build.

Now I see why people are having trouble with the service pack. Some people are too lazy to back up their systems. Some people are too lazy to try the service pack on a clean install. So when the problems occur, due to negligence, it's not my fault. I don't even test SP3 with SP2 because of all the changes. I have invested 8 months day and night to get where I'm @ with the service pack. I can handle constructive criticism and negative feedback.

What I can't handle is people not following instructions by not reading the fine print. I have never heard the term until dencorso posted it. PEBCAK.

It's been posted many times not to mix these packages with each other.

I did back up everything up, its just an additional reminder for people who don't :P

I cannot recall any warning explicitly saying the windows installation most likely / will fail when certain previous updates are installed which is why I made the post in the first place. Many people don't RTFM and don't bother to go through a huge forum topic with lot of info that is not related to current forms and flavors of uSP.

One can safely install uSP3 before AutoPatcher, but not after it, at least that is what my testing has showed (and what one friend of mine experienced).

Half the updates in Autopatcher won't install as uSP3 installs newer versions, here's a list of what AP does install in addition to what uSP3 doesn't with my AP configuration :

q239887 - Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement
q240075 - USB Devices May Not Work in Windows 98 Second Edition
q245682 - Hotfix for IDE Controller Is Disabled in Device Manager bug
q253697 - Hotfix for USB Enumeration Problems on Fast Computers
q260067 - Mapped Drives Update
q273017 - IDE Hard Drive Cache Package for Windows 98se
q274175 - Hotfix for bug with More Than Eight Folder Levels on CD-ROM
q276602 - Hotfix for Device Manager Reports Code 10 for Device Bug
q281533 - Hotfix for USB Driver May Cause Error During Docking Bug
q306453 - Hotfix for bug in Usbhub.sys with USB Devices
q310695 - Hotfix for DVD Player Program Cannot Access Data bug
q318307 - Update for VMOUSE.VXD
q313829 - Hotfix for Unchecked Buffer in Windows Shell Vulnerability
kb816093 - Hotfix for Vulnerability in Microsoft Virtual Machine
kb816362 - Hotfix for Bug in Mshta.exe With Multiple Modal Dialog Boxes
kb824220 - Hotfix for Images Not Appearing in Web Pages in Internet Explorer
kb830849 - Hotfix for 'Automatic Detect Settings' Errors in Internet Explorer
kb885258 - Hotfix for Scaled images not sized correctly in Internet Explorer
kb886677 - Unofficial Hotfix for DBCS Corruption in MLANG.DLL
kb893627 - Hotfix for Bug with Group Policies Not Applied in Internet Explorer
kb896156 - Hotfix for bug when removing an HTML element from a Web page
kb891781 - Hotfix for DHTML ActiveX Control Vulnerability
kb905495 - Hotfix for Vulnerability in the Windows FTP Client
kb918439 - Hotfix for Vulnerability in ART Image Rendering
kb938464 - Hotfix for Vulnerability in Vector Markup Language
kb951066 - Unofficial Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6 sp1
kb956390 - Unofficial Cumulative Update for Internet Explorer 6 sp1
q236926 - Hotfix for TCP/IP May Retransmit Packets Prematurely bug
q239696 - Hotfix for bug with High Disk Activity or Low Memory
q241052 - Hotfix for bug with Password Synchronization
q245065 - Hotfix for bug with Automatic Repeat and USB Keyboards
q249146 - Hotfix for bug in PlaySound API with USB devices present
q249635 - Hotfix for Size Report bug in USB Driver
q250514 - Hotfix for bug with Print Jobs on the Same Printer
q250876 - Hotfix for Print Queues May Appear Offline bug
q253711 - Hotfix for ACPI Computer May Not Shut Down Properly Bug
q254660 - Fourth and Fifth Mouse Buttons Not Recognized by Windows
q257360 - Hotfix for ACPI Compliant Computer May Hang bug
q257821 - Hotfix for Windows Sockets Function Adds 500ms Time-Out Bug
q258680 - Hotfix for Bug in Screen Saver Activation While Suspended
q272621 - Hotfix for bug in Reported Size in Virtual Memory Tab
q274370 - Hotfix for Blue Screen Of Death Using Digital CD Audio
q275873 - Hotfix for Sleep and Power Buttons Are the Same bug
q277628 - Hotfix for Last Access and Creation Time Access Denied bug
q278033 - Fix for Bug in MS Video For Windows Apps with USB Digital Cameras
q283032 - Windows 98 Cannot List Users in Windows 2000-Based Domain
q288550 - Hotfix for Bug in Plug and Play Printer May Not Resume
q305037 - Hotfix for Low Battery Alarm May Not Work Bug
q307004 - Hotfix for Group Policy Bug in Groups with Long Names
q308349 - Hotfix for Bug when Turning Off Computer with USB Modem Present
q309081 - Hotfix for Infrared Devices Data Features bug
q311561 - Hotfix for bug in MS-DOS Processing Hard Disk Errors
q319571 - Hotfix for bug in Detection of Non-US Enhanced Keyboards
q323708 - Hotfix for Computer Hangs Bug During Infrared Communication

By description, many of them are fairly useful. I'm not sure if there's anything in uSP that takes care of the things they are meant to fix though.

I like uSP3 and the work you have put in it, if I did not I'd not be posting here. If I was some a person with a bit of temperament I would have been offended by the reply. It is not very nice to jump to conclusions like that (but that's ot subject).

Edited by TmEE

These 2 updates are included, they install with IE Core Files

kb905495 - Hotfix for Vulnerability in the Windows FTP Client

kb886677 - Unofficial Hotfix for DBCS Corruption in MLANG.DLL

I will add MSIEFTP.DLL 5.50.4956.500 to main updates since it doesn't require IE at all.

All the updates besides Internet Explorer/Outlook Express updates are included.

They only install if they are present on the system.

Some files don't need to be on the system if you have no purpose for them.

They are all included in SP3.CAB.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

>1) why did "command prompt here" get removed?

> It was more of an tweak than enhancement.

Methinks it's still very nice to have, and it's much easier to not check it during install if someone doesn't want it than find out how to add it separately. (which I may need to do now)

> 2) how can I view a folder as webpage? As of B4, there used to be an option to set that , but it's no more...

> Not in this package.

>

> 3) what happened with the "Quick launch" toolbar? Not able to find it or enable it...

> This service pack has nothing to do with anything Quick launch related.

Actually, it does. ;) It happened because I accidentally checked "Win95 shell swap" :rolleyes:

I guess I shouldn't be installing SW in the wee hours.... :angel