98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

I don't know about you guys, but I much much prefer the original icons of win98. I really dislike the computer & recycle icons from win2000/me.

Anyway, it's buggy...with sp3 I try to change the icons (right clicking on desktop...) to something else...you have to browse, chose a file and get a failure message before coming to shell32 images...

For me it's not possible to move the close-program-window...and if you have an explorer window open behind it, and click on its 'x' and then cancel on the close-program-window, then the explorer window closes. Has this bug always been in win 98 ?

There seem to be a lof of changes between beeta4 and final...risk of new bugs...unstabilities...

But great work of course!

I don't know about you guys, but I much much prefer the original icons of win98. I really dislike the computer & recycle icons from win2000/me.

Anyway, it's buggy...with sp3 I try to change the icons (right clicking on desktop...) to something else...you have to browse, chose a file and get a failure message before coming to shell32 images...

No Fail

igQ78YsFjdgLV.png

For me it's not possible to move the close-program-window...and if you have an explorer window open behind it, and click on its 'x' and then cancel on the close-program-window, then the explorer window closes. Has this bug always been in win 98 ?

Test your EXPLORER

4.72.3612.1710 -> U98SESP3

4.72.3612.1710 -> EXPLOR98

4.72.3612.1700 -> W98SESP3B4

4.72.3110.1 -> MDCUPL

No problem. Send me for MP your file SED to copile like you U98SESP3

I don't understand what you mean :huh:

My Sed File to copile IExpress U98SESP3-ESN

[Version]
Class=IEXPRESS
SEDVersion=3
[Options]
PackagePurpose=InstallApp
ShowInstallProgramWindow=0
HideExtractAnimation=0
UseLongFileName=0
InsideCompressed=0
CAB_FixedSize=0
CAB_ResvCodeSigning=0
RebootMode=I
InstallPrompt=%InstallPrompt%
DisplayLicense=%DisplayLicense%
FinishMessage=%FinishMessage%
TargetName=%TargetName%
FriendlyName=%FriendlyName%
AppLaunched=%AppLaunched%
PostInstallCmd=%PostInstallCmd%
AdminQuietInstCmd=%AdminQuietInstCmd%
UserQuietInstCmd=%UserQuietInstCmd%
SourceFiles=SourceFiles
TargetWin9xVersion=4.10.2222
TargetNTVersion=0
MultiInstanceCheck=1
[Strings]
InstallPrompt=
DisplayLicense=files\LICENSE.TXT
FinishMessage=
TargetName=U98SESP3-ESN.EXE
FriendlyName=Windows 98SE Service Pack 3.0 ESN No-Oficial
AppLaunched=INFEX.EXE
PostInstallCmd=<None>
AdminQuietInstCmd=SPUPDATE.INF
UserQuietInstCmd=SPUPDATE.INF
FILE0="_EX.TXT"
FILE1="_EX_100.ICO"
FILE2="_EX_103.ICO"
FILE3="_EX_108.ICO"
FILE4="_MD.TXT"
FILE5="_MD_100.ICO"
FILE6="_NP.TXT"
FILE7="_NP_ACC.RES"
FILE8="_NP_MENU.RES"
FILE9="_SH.TXT"
FILE10="_SH_32.ICO"
FILE11="_SH_33.ICO"
FILE12="_SH_35.ICO"
FILE13="_SH_162.AVI"
FILE14="_SH_163.AVI"
FILE15="2_4DATE.EXE"
FILE16="ADVPACK.DLL"
FILE17="AGT20.INF"
FILE18="BUILDSP3.BAT"
FILE19="CRLUPD.CAB"
FILE20="DCOMCNFG.INF"
FILE21="DMA_ON.INF"
FILE22="EUROCONV.INF"
FILE23="IE5.INF"
FILE24="IE6.INF"
FILE25="IEX.CAB"
FILE26="IEXPRESS.INF"
FILE27="INFEX.EXE"
FILE28="INFEX.INI"
FILE29="INSTMSIA.EXE"
FILE30="LICENSE.TXT"
FILE31="LOGO.INF"
FILE32="MSGF.INF"
FILE33="NIRCMD.EXE"
FILE34="OLEVIEW.INF"
FILE35="PMTSHOOT.INF"
FILE36="PRESERVE.INF"
FILE37="RDC.INF"
FILE38="README.TXT"
FILE39="RESHACK.EXE"
FILE40="ROOTSUPD.CAB"
FILE41="RUNPOST.BAT"
FILE42="SCBASE.INF"
FILE43="SCR579X.INF"
FILE44="SCT10EN.INF"
FILE45="SHELL.INF"
FILE46="SLAYOUT1.INF"
FILE47="SLAYOUT2.INF"
FILE48="SLEEK.INF"
FILE49="SP3.CAB"
FILE50="SPUPDATE.INF"
FILE51="SUPP.CAB"
FILE52="TIMEZONE.EXE"
FILE53="TIMEZONE.INF"
FILE54="TTFEXT.INF"
FILE55="TTFPAK.INF"
FILE56="TWEAKS.INF"
FILE57="TWEAKUI.CNT"
FILE58="TWEAKUI.CPL"
FILE59="TWEAKUI.HLP"
FILE60="TWEAKUI.INF"
FILE61="W2KCOLOR.INF"
FILE62="W95INF16.DLL"
FILE63="W95INF32.DLL"
FILE64="WINTOP.INF"
FILE65="WPNPINST.INF"
FILE66="X360.INF"
FILE67="XPICS.INF"
FILE68="ZIPFLDR.INF"

[SourceFiles]
SourceFiles0=files\
[SourceFiles0]
%FILE0%=
%FILE1%=
%FILE2%=
%FILE3%=
%FILE4%=
%FILE5%=
%FILE6%=
%FILE7%=
%FILE8%=
%FILE9%=
%FILE10%=
%FILE11%=
%FILE12%=
%FILE13%=
%FILE14%=
%FILE15%=
%FILE16%=
%FILE17%=
%FILE18%=
%FILE19%=
%FILE20%=
%FILE21%=
%FILE22%=
%FILE23%=
%FILE24%=
%FILE25%=
%FILE26%=
%FILE27%=
%FILE28%=
%FILE29%=
%FILE30%=
%FILE31%=
%FILE32%=
%FILE33%=
%FILE34%=
%FILE35%=
%FILE36%=
%FILE37%=
%FILE38%=
%FILE39%=
%FILE40%=
%FILE41%=
%FILE42%=
%FILE43%=
%FILE44%=
%FILE45%=
%FILE46%=
%FILE47%=
%FILE48%=
%FILE49%=
%FILE50%=
%FILE51%=
%FILE52%=
%FILE53%=
%FILE54%=
%FILE55%=
%FILE56%=
%FILE57%=
%FILE58%=
%FILE59%=
%FILE60%=
%FILE61%=
%FILE62%=
%FILE63%=
%FILE64%=
%FILE65%=
%FILE66%=
%FILE67%=
%FILE68%=

Its Corrects File?

Edited by gerislamico

If you prefer the original Icons (I agree with you about the Recycle Bin especially) then you can use the EXPLORER.EXE contained in NUSB (It has only one byte modified to allow 256-Color Icons in the System Tray), along with SHELL32.DLL from the Q313829 HotFix.

EXPLORER.EXE contains the My Computer Icon, and SHELL32.DLL contains the Recycle Bin and Network Neighborhood icons. When you replace these files, you will have to manually delete the ShellIconCache file in your WINDOWS directory from DOS or another OS.

Like you and others, you people are too lazy to read the LICENSE and README txt files. If you have read the txt files you would know that, I'm using EXPLORER.EXE from http://www.mdgx.com/files/EXPLOR98.EXE which either MDGx or erpude8 change the icon not me. You would know if you read the LICENSE and README txt files that the WinME icons has been there way before I started to update the Service Pack. If you read the LICENSE and README txt files you would know you USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

What's buggy about the Service Pack? As far as I'm concern you could have buggy software installed that was not caused by the Service Pack. Remember you always have the option of (NOT) installing the Service Pack. REMEMBER TO BACK UP!

That's sounds like a problem only you can fix.

There seem to be a lof of changes between beeta4 and final...risk of new bugs...unstabilities...

Changes mean improvement, give or take.

Please list the bugs and unstabilities that you may have come across. As far as I know if there are any bugs, I do my best to fix them immediately.

I WILL TRY MY BEST, BUT I KNOW I CAN'T MAKE EVERYBODY HAPPY!

This guy made me laugh. Just joined today, apparently to post this, lists four "problems" he is having - only generally described or are more opinions than anything else, and some behaviors date back for a long, long time, but ends with - "But great work of course!"

I don't know about you guys, but I much much prefer ...

Anyway, it's buggy....

For me it's not possible to move the close-program-window....

Cheers and Regards

This guy made me laugh. Just joined in 2007, apparantly to fill up this forum with laughters...

This guy made me laugh. Just joined today, apparently to post this, lists four "problems" he is having - only generally described or are more opinions than anything else, and some behaviors date back for a long, long time, but ends with - "But great work of course!"

I don't know about you guys, but I much much prefer ...

Anyway, it's buggy....

For me it's not possible to move the close-program-window....

Cheers and Regards

Cheers

USB 2.0 NOTICE - Unplug all USB devices. Install main updates.

It means that I need install all components of SP3 except USB component?

No what it means is that USB install as a part of main updates.

After installation of main updates follow the instructions in the USB 2.0 notice.

I presume that if I'm happy with my current USB drivers, I can simply leave them installed and the SP3 won't affect their operation? In other words, if I choose to uninstall my existing USB drivers, then NUSB will take over, otherwise NUSB will only affect new USB devices?

If you prefer the original Icons (I agree with you about the Recycle Bin especially) then you can use the EXPLORER.EXE contained in NUSB (It has only one byte modified to allow 256-Color Icons in the System Tray), along with SHELL32.DLL from the Q313829 HotFix.

EXPLORER.EXE contains the My Computer Icon, and SHELL32.DLL contains the Recycle Bin and Network Neighborhood icons. When you replace these files, you will have to manually delete the ShellIconCache file in your WINDOWS directory from DOS or another OS.

Thanks LoneCrusader! I've always meant to dig into the details of this icon issue, but there's always been more important things to do. Now I have the answer!

BTW, great work PROBLEMCHYLD! Nobody's blaming you for the icons, it's been an annoyance (to some) for a long time, way before you took charge.

Joe.

Edited by jds

I presume that if I'm happy with my current USB drivers, I can simply leave them installed and the SP3 won't affect their operation? In other words, if I choose to uninstall my existing USB drivers, then NUSB will take over, otherwise NUSB will only affect new USB devices?

Yes, but since I'm using NUSB/USB 2.0 stack, words from the wise. I would suggest people do it just to be safe. It would only need to be done once.

There's no need to repeat these steps once you have done them unless you are witnessing the USBEHCI.SYS bug.

Maximus Decim Native USB ver.3.3

------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Native (without installation of additional drivers for each type) support USB flash drives, digital photo

and videocameras and other similar devices.

*Universal Stack USB 2.0 (without installation of additional drivers for each chipsets) with uninstall.

1.Remove ALL drivers USB flash drives.

2.Remove ALL drivers USB 2.0 controllers.

3.Remove ALL unknown devices.

4.Install NUSB 3.3 and reboot.

5.After detection new USB 2.0 controllers (if it will occur) too it is necessary to be reboot.

Remember! You install it at own risk!

This driver is created from Windows 2000 SP4 USB 2.0 stack by SweetLow from russian Ru-Board forum.

http://sweetlow.at.tut.by/download/usb2.zip

This is an expirimental build, i'm uploading it because i don't have enough Win98 park.

Please try it if you can/want.

Remove current USB/EHCI drivers (and their .inf files if there are), delete EHCI controllers from Device Manager.

You can also try to install it by right-click.

Feedback appreciated.

They'll be included into newer NUSB version if positive :rolleyes:

I will be releasing a new update today.

I have to let you guys about the WinME icons. I removed all patching resources because they did not patch the icons.

What Gape did was he patched the actual SHELL32.DLL icon. That means when you install the SP you automatically get the WinME look.

The only way to avoid this, is for someone to create a script to patch the original Win98 icons with resource hacker. I don't know how.

In the mean time if you are a SP3 user you will have to deal with the WinME look until I can accommodate everyone. Sorry.

since I'm using NUSB/USB 2.0 stack, words from the wise. I would suggest people do it just to be safe. It would only need to be done once.

PROBLEMCHYLD,

OK, here's some feedback. :)

With respect to the USB drivers, I don't know what's what here. What it is that you're suggesting people do, and which needs to be done only once? This thread is somewhat, umm, convoluted. :wacko:

Just to make sure: so I could install the SP3 and it would not automatically affect my existing USB drivers?

Thanks!

--JorgeA

P.S. Is there a way to create a wiki here, so that the most up-to-date information (and ONLY the most up-to-date information) shows?

since I'm using NUSB/USB 2.0 stack, words from the wise. I would suggest people do it just to be safe. It would only need to be done once.

PROBLEMCHYLD,

OK, here's some feedback. :)

With respect to the USB drivers, I don't know what's what here. What it is that you're suggesting people do, and which needs to be done only once? This thread is somewhat, umm, convoluted. :wacko:

Just to make sure: so I could install the SP3 and it would not automatically affect my existing USB drivers?

Thanks!

--JorgeA

P.S. Is there a way to create a wiki here, so that the most up-to-date information (and ONLY the most up-to-date information) shows?

Maximus Decim Native USB ver.3.3

------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Native (without installation of additional drivers for each type) support USB flash drives, digital photo

and videocameras and other similar devices.

*Universal Stack USB 2.0 (without installation of additional drivers for each chipsets) with uninstall.

1.Remove ALL drivers USB flash drives.

2.Remove ALL drivers USB 2.0 controllers.

3.Remove ALL unknown devices.

4.Install NUSB 3.3 and reboot.

5.After detection new USB 2.0 controllers (if it will occur) too it is necessary to be reboot.

Remember! You install it at own risk!

This driver is created from Windows 2000 SP4 USB 2.0 stack by SweetLow from russian Ru-Board forum.

http://sweetlow.at.tut.by/download/usb2.zip

This is an expirimental build, i'm uploading it because i don't have enough Win98 park.

Please try it if you can/want.

Remove current USB/EHCI drivers (and their .inf files if there are), delete EHCI controllers from Device Manager.

You can also try to install it by right-click.

Feedback appreciated.

They'll be included into newer NUSB version if positive :rolleyes:

The key word is Remove! Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

My EXPLORER.EXE only contains the new ME/2000 style Computer and Recycle Bin icons.

I have Gape's SP 2.1a installed, and NUSB.

However, my SHELL32.DLL contains all the old Windows 98 icons.

Easy to change them of course just using Display Properties Effects tab.

Personally I like the newer Computer icon, but not the Recycle Bin one.

I was dual booting with Windows 2000 for many years, and I didn't want the desktops looking too similar!

:)

Edited by Dave-H

My EXPLORER.EXE only contains the new ME/2000 style Computer and Recycle Bin icons.

I have Gape's SP 2.1a installed, and NUSB.

However, my SHELL32.DLL contains all the old Windows 98 icons.

Easy to change them of course just using Display Properties Effects tab.

Personally I like the newer Computer icon, but not the Recycle Bin one.

I was dual booting with Windows 2000 for many years, and I didn't want the desktops looking too similar!

:)

Thats because your not using Windows98 SE SP 3.0 BETA 4. The version before I started updating. Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD